The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
randomly singing 'happy birthday' to her when we felt like it

This just made me laugh!
Reply 41
I have too many wonderful memories to list, so I'll pick one. We were on our DoE final walk, walking through a hill filled with hay bales. I don't know why, but one of my friends had a small container of petrol with him. We set a bale alight and pushed it down the massive hill, watching it pick up speed and eventually obliterate the fence at the bottom. I know it was wrong, but at the time I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life and I still look back on it fondly.
Reply 42
Ollie87
I have too many wonderful memories to list, so I'll pick one. We were on our DoE final walk, walking through a hill filled with hay bales. I don't know why, but one of my friends had a small container of petrol with him. We set a bale alight and pushed it down the massive hill, watching it pick up speed and eventually obliterate the fence at the bottom. I know it was wrong, but at the time I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life and I still look back on it fondly.

"hay on fire, rlling down the field, best notify m next of kin, this hay may explode!"

The Farmer didn't get in touch with the school did he? :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Possibly that of last year's House Public Speaking competition: I wasn't actually acclaimed as 'Best Speaker' in any formal sense (having not learned my speech particularly well, I warrant), but fielded the ensuing question-and-answer session with such unabashed aplomb as to be afforded provisional 'god' status for several days thereafter. I tell you: it was a gratification beyond compare. :wink:
SlyPie
What the hell is "head boy"--it makes it sound like a blow job.

Is it like being head boy in Harry Potter?

It's more like the blow job than the Harry Potter. Basically, you show visitors around, suck up to governers and generally act as the authority figure for a bunch of little tykes.

Or rather, you suffer these things in order to put it on your CV afterwards.

The Ace is Back
yeah i guess like the one in Harry Potter.. just a boy 'in charge of the school'. Should be popular, but sometimes teachers make error of judgement, so should always be voted for.

Popular, here, being a code-word for uninteresting and generally unopinionated about anything. Generally, if the school has a choice, they'll pick the blandest, least offensive person to do the job. For Americans or those who've watched enough tacky teen high school comedies, there is a possible analogy between the Head Girl and cheerleaders, though generally HB/HG are a bit smarter than that (and serve as living proof that examination results do not equal intelligence).

As to my best school memory, it was probably when I got the Key Skills Coordinator from my school to admit, in front of a class full of my fellow students, that the Key Skills Qualification was not worth the paper it was printed on. That was fun.

As, I suppose, was seeing the aftermath of the boys changing rooms when a very annoying kid knocked an internal wall down with his arse. And a few of the extra-curricular activities that went on during our A-level period were quite good distractions.

Other than that, it was a waste of time. A few individual teachers stand out as fairly inspiring people, but, yes, what a waste of seven years. I cherish libraries because I fear the alternative is the routine mundaneness and anti-intellectualism that is omnipresent in the school.
Reply 45
Profesh
Possibly that of last year's House Public Speaking competition: I wasn't actually acclaimed as 'Best Speaker' in any formal sense (having not learned my speech particularly well, I warrant), but fielded the ensuing question-and-answer session with such unabashed aplomb as to be afforded provisional 'god' status for several days thereafter. I tell you: it was a gratification beyond compare. :wink:

i honestly can't even remember that competition... :s: (sorry - i actually had to ask speke who won 'best speaker' and everything, lol).
tommorris
Popular, here, being a code-word for uninteresting and generally unopinionated about anything. Generally, if the school has a choice, they'll pick the blandest, least offensive person to do the job. For Americans or those who've watched enough tacky teen high school comedies, there is a possible analogy between the Head Girl and cheerleaders, though generally HB/HG are a bit smarter than that (and serve as living proof that examination results do not equal intelligence).

Popularity at my school doesn't necessarily equate to 'uninteresting' and 'generally unopinionated' - and besides, I would rather a 'popular' head boy/girl as opposed to one disliked by the entire school.
My best school memory was having a fight with the popular girls through the Dance Studio window one lunchtime. It was a tiny one, high up, but we managed to get them with water and banana peel and everything from the outside. Unfortunately our tutor was also the dance teacher and happened to be in the room at the time.

Also, the time in Year 10 when Year 7s started having a go at us for singing Christmas songs in July, we followed them around for a while just to piss them off.

Yeah, we were cool ¬_¬
The Ace is Back
Popularity at my school doesn't necessarily equate to 'uninteresting' and 'generally unopinionated' - and besides, I would rather a 'popular' head boy/girl as opposed to one disliked by the entire school.

Hmm. So, if you have one person who is 'popular' and affirms that 2 + 2 = 5, and one person who is 'disliked by the entire school' and states that actually 2 + 2 = 4, you'd plump for the popular one. Glad you're not marking degrees or appointing maths teachers! :biggrin: (I realise it's something of a false analogy, but since in many instances HB&G have to basically act as advertisers for their school when showing people round and so on, there is a certain analogy to be made, since issues of truth do come in to it).

That said, I think that the whole idea of HB/G is thoroughly pointless. Schools should be modelled, as much as possible, on universities. Academic merit, not popularity. Intellectual skill, not sports or 'character' or exam success or any of that other BS, needs to really be set as the priority.
tommorris
Hmm. So, if you have one person who is 'popular' and affirms that 2 + 2 = 5, and one person who is 'disliked by the entire school' and states that actually 2 + 2 = 4, you'd plump for the popular one. Glad you're not marking degrees or appointing maths teachers! :biggrin: (I realise it's something of a false analogy, but since in many instances HB&G have to basically act as advertisers for their school when showing people round and so on, there is a certain analogy to be made, since issues of truth do come in to it).

That said, I think that the whole idea of HB/G is thoroughly pointless. Schools should be modelled, as much as possible, on universities. Academic merit, not popularity. Intellectual skill, not sports or 'character' or exam success or any of that other BS, needs to really be set as the priority.

Yes because naturally, I wouldn't want someone I disliked in a position of authority, I would want somebody I liked... Being a dumbass is fine, I don't really give a sh*t what kind of image the HB/G gives off of the school - as you rightly put it, the position is 'thoroughly pointless', I just wouldn't want some smarmy kid strutting around acting like he owns the place. Besides at my school the head of the school is chosen from among the cleverest pupils in the entire school (roughly top 12/250 in the year), but also has to be a good person, rounded etc etc. I don't know what school you went to, but at mine intellectual skill often comes hand in hand with popularity - it was at prep school that there was this silly notion that intellectual skill could not go hand in hand with popularity. As for modelling schools on universities, I would say that sport and extra-curricular activities play an even bigger role in universities (from what I gather from uni students), but of course in this area I have no experience.
Reply 50
In the spring of year 10, some new kid from erdington in Birmingham transferred to our school as he moved to our town. After two months he was going out with this girl in our form; now this other kid called glen had a sister who slagged this new guys girl friend off so he got a broken glass bottle and stabbed glen in the back in our school play ground! Imao, :rolleyes: i was laughing my head off. These other 2 lads who were with him, as they just came from the chip shop knew what he was going to do but didnt say anything! All the hard lads stuck up for glen, the kid who got stabbed andwent mental and started on the new kid. He got expelled!
sayed_samed
so he got a broken glass bottle and stabbed glen in the back in our school play ground! Imao, :rolleyes: i was laughing my head off.

It's quite funny when people get stabbed in the back with broken glass bottles

Latest

Trending

Trending