The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

New...Romantic
Is there? Source?

Mine weren't able to give me anything so I had to stay at home. Trust me, it wasn't my first choice. I think a lot of people are in that position.

i did see it and think :O
looking for it on google... but cant remember details... so nothing coming up.

EDIT:

SAAS
Under the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985, parents have a general obligation to support their children depending on the particular circumstances of the case. This obligation also applies to children over 18 and up to 25 who are in further or higher education or training.

but i did read another which was more specific. but cant find it.
Reply 21
LouisVuitton43
there is technically a law about parents giving a certain amount of money toward their childs uni stuff. if youre being technical.

Sorry but I think this is nonsense! Once you're 18 your parents don't have to support you at all
Reply 22
New...Romantic
Is there? Source?

Mine weren't able to give me anything so I had to stay at home. Trust me, it wasn't my first choice. I think a lot of people are in that position.

Parents in Scotland are required to support their children until the age of 25 in full time education. If they do not, it is perfectly proper (and plenty of young people do this) to sue the parents (or, more usually, parent) for aliment. If you're wanting to read where that comes from: s.1 Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985.

Still, it's not a practical solution to this situation. Although I think the OP's parents, if they earn enough that the SLC is only willing to give her a few hundred pounds, really ought to cough up. Priorities and all that.
Reply 23
L i b
Parents in Scotland are required to support their children until the age of something like 23 or 24 in full time education. If they do not, it is perfectly proper (and plenty of young people do this) to sue the parents (or, more usually, parent) for aliment.

What a **** law
Reply 24
LouisVuitton43
yes. very :frown:

Ah right...I'll just leave now :rolleyes: I know nothing about it!
Reply 25
L i b
Parents in Scotland are required to support their children until the age of 25 in full time education. If they do not, it is perfectly proper (and plenty of young people do this) to sue the parents (or, more usually, parent) for aliment. If you're wanting to read where that comes from: s.1 Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985.

Still, it's not a practical solution to this situation. Although I think the OP's parents, if they earn enough that the SLC is only willing to give her a few hundred pounds, really ought to cough up. Priorities and all that.

If she lives near a good uni, why shouldn't she just go to that? Most people do that anyway.
pamelaa
If she lives near a good uni, why shouldn't she just go to that? Most people do that anyway.

i dont live near it... quite a bit away
theres a bus to it.... thats wat i ment really

but would have to get up at like 5 for a 9 oclock lecture.

i would like to not do tht thanks.

edit: surely, it would cost alot to get travel anyway? like, at least a grand for the year... the bus is quite dear i thnk...
Reply 27
LouisVuitton43
i dont live near it... quite a bit away
theres a bus to it.... thats wat i ment really

but would have to get up at like 5 for a 9 oclock lecture.

i would like to not do tht thanks.

edit: surely, it would cost alot to get travel anyway? like, at least a grand for the year... the bus is quite dear i thnk...

Well you don't live near it, but most people do live nearish a uni and go to that. So yeah, I'd suggest you keep trying to get a job.
pamelaa
Well you don't live near it, but most people do live nearish a uni and go to that. So yeah, I'd suggest you keep trying to get a job.

nahh, i live in a town in the country really...

i will. :smile:
Reply 29
My friend has a zone card that lets you use bus/train/subway for £200ish every 3 months
Reply 30
Don't go income assessed. My parents earn over the threshold and i get £3594 loan. Just don't get it income assessed.
MikeL230
Don't go income assessed. My parents earn over the threshold and i get £3594 loan. Just don't get it income assessed.

non income assessed in scotland is £915. no offense, but why i pointed the thread to scots :p:
pamelaa
My friend has a zone card that lets you use bus/train/subway for £200ish every 3 months

i would have to get nine zones which is £400 for 10 weeks...

which isnt exactly cheap, and if i live at home, my parents would pay for it, so they may as well give me that money to work with in glasgow :p:
You are most likely going to have to compromise. There are a lot of students who live at home (who may well not like to) because they cannot afford to move out. Travel is expensive, yes, but there is some allowance for that. It also allows you to spread the cost a little bit.
Reply 34
I get the maximum amount out of SAAS, about £4600 odd and that won't even cover the accommodation I'm considering, but still won't cover anything else. I don't fancy a job and we're not even guaranteed one...

I feel sorry for you OP. :frown:
Reply 35
LouisVuitton43
i would have to get nine zones which is £400 for 10 weeks...

which isnt exactly cheap, and if i live at home, my parents would pay for it, so they may as well give me that money to work with in glasgow :p:

I think you can get SAAS to pay for some of your travel expenses.
Reply 36
Have you thought about looking for scholarships or sponsors?

http://www.gla.ac.uk/scholarships/homeandeuscholarships/undergraduate/#d.en.39150 (but think you will probably not be eligible due to parents finances)

Several companies sponsor students doing chemistry degrees. I couple of people did when I was at university, one had support for all four years, although I don't know who it was with, never mind how she went about getting it.

Have you tried emailing the uni chemistry department to see if they can point you towards anything? You might want to give Bob Hill an email.
pamelaa
I think you can get SAAS to pay for some of your travel expenses.

they dont.
its also income assessed, and is a lower threshold that the loan.
maxPP
Have you thought about looking for scholarships or sponsors?

http://www.gla.ac.uk/scholarships/homeandeuscholarships/undergraduate/#d.en.39150 (but think you will probably not be eligible due to parents finances)

Several companies sponsor students doing chemistry degrees. I couple of people did when I was at university, one had support for all four years, although I don't know who it was with, never mind how she went about getting it.

Have you tried emailing the uni chemistry department to see if they can point you towards anything? You might want to give Bob Hill an email.

looked at the scholarships, and no, cant get it cos of income.
(which actually varies, my dad is self employed, so still dont get the loan etc cos they cant determine when he has a good bad year etc. stupid Saas. :frown: )

no, never thought of emailing them.
what would i say :|
eltorkeytork
My dad is going to pay for all accommodation costs, i'll pay for living expenses, I am getting my tuition paid by the government obviously and I will be receiving 4.6k from government, so basically:

-Tuition paid
-4.6k from government
-About 5k from dad
-Maybe about 1k or 2k from my mum
-Job at the union, so that should be at least 100-150 a month

So thankfully i'm good to go.

You are joking that you will need to work? You will have accommodation paid for and 6 or 7k for living expenses, what more do you need?

Latest