The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TurboCretin
You've got to be interested in SOMETHING. My problem was always that I was interested in too much. In my experience, people that find everything around them boring tend to be the ones going nowhere.

I wouldn't say I find anything boring. It just takes a lot to make me go "wow". Even when people tell me heart-breaking stories of their childhood.. I'm not like 'woah, dude, that was serious'. I don't exactly sound very compassionate do I? :rolleyes: I am but it's hard to explain..
I think I have such high standards and expectations of myself that I completely overthink everything. Now for example, I'm overthinking the word 'interest'. I do have a few routes I've thought about pursuing, and it's the fear of going down the wrong route which consumes me and therefore makes me wonder what I'm truely interested in..
I throw a dart at the course list.
TurboCretin
You've got to be interested in SOMETHING. My problem was always that I was interested in too much. In my experience, people that find everything around them boring tend to be the ones going nowhere.

Yeah, I agree. But people usually sway towards the arts or the sciences, so it narrows it down and makes their decision much easier.
I have no idea at all. I came up with an idea a few and my parents and everyone else in the universe really liked it so I'm kinda following that track still... Don't get me wrong, it does interest me, but it's not what I'll be doing forever. It's just something to do until I find out what I want to do. If that makes any sense. :s-smilie:
Reply 24
frznjellybeans
I have no idea at all. I came up with an idea a few and my parents and everyone else in the universe really liked it so I'm kinda following that track still... Don't get me wrong, it does interest me, but it's not what I'll be doing forever. It's just something to do until I find out what I want to do. If that makes any sense. :s-smilie:

What are you doing/going to do? :smile:
Marshmellow.
What are you doing/going to do? :smile:

Going in for biomedical sciences next year, hopefully at Reading. I may not be completely fanatical about the subject, but I do adore Reading uni!
sylarfangirl
I just love languages. I always have.

However, I worked out what I wanted to do by deciding what I liked best about them, and it was definitely the more practical side, so that's why I've picked the course I have. :smile:

Haha you're like the anti-me.
I just love languages. I always have. But I realised I just love the theoretical side. Donc voila, Linguistics.
Although with my strong passion for Latin and a very structural approach to other romance languages I can see myself becoming a translator.
waterinabottle
Yeah, I agree. But people usually sway towards the arts or the sciences, so it narrows it down and makes their decision much easier.

That's true for most people. Not me. I ended up doing English, Art, Maths and Physics at A-level. Gave up art after AS though cos it was chewing up all my time, and I only did it to begin with because I enjoyed it. I've also been playing guitar for about 9 years now.

It's difficult when you have a wide base of interests. You'd think it'd be easy enough to just pick one thing if you have lots of skills, but you want to integrate it all if you can. I'm only just beginning to see a way to do that now, nearing the end of my second year at uni.
I was undecided for a LOOOONG time and wanted to do about 10 different subjects.
Especially as I had good teachers for some and terrible for others.
THEN I REALISED - Maths is the only subject I've liked pretty much from the beginning to the end, it makes 100% sense not memory, and it's the only one I wouldn't mind studying full-time. Chemistry = toxic chemicals, physics = ****, engineering = boring, medicine = "saving" people who will die anyway, psychology = slags in skirts, who don't realise it's closer to neuroscience than philosophy, law = guys who want to make money (OBVIOUSLY generalising, but..)
Maths = all the weirdos :love:
69Crazyfists
I just love languages. I always have. But I realised I just love the theoretical side. Donc voila, Linguistics.
Although with my strong passion for Latin and a very structural approach to other romance languages I can see myself becoming a translator.

Go team Linguistics! YEEHHHH
I think it involved being spun round in a dark room and then left to find the door. After stumbling around for a while, groping blindly, I found a door. But hell knows if it's the right door *shrugs*
Reply 31
Philosophy formalised my daydreaming and slowly took me away from that path of being an absolute waste of space ( although debatable :wink: ). I don't know, it's not like Philosophy or anything of the like is a specific thing, I think it just gave me some 'rational autonomy' and self-criticism and has completely turned my life around. I know it sounds cliche, but with it, I've been able to make sense of everything else.

As for what I want to do, I'm going to use the next few years to decide on that. Teaching always appeals to me, just not sure what the likelihood is that I could actually teach in Philosophy/RS (not exactly the most widely practiced subjects around and/or if it is the case, you'd have to be the top of the top in terms of academic success to be in such a position).
69Crazyfists

I like linguistics too, I made sure my course had modules in it. :smile:

Aw Latin. :'( Our Latin teacher fell down the stairs and moved to France, (?!), so I can't remember any of it.

A translator is my eventual aim, I'd like to do children's books I think, haha.
I still don't really know :frown:

I'd love to do medicine, but if I don't get into that it could be one of a number of things:
Zoology, Biology, Maths, History, and Physics fascinate me :s-smilie:
Reply 34
I worked backwards.

I kind of already knew what I wanted to be in secondary school.

I looked on Connexions at several jobs in the area I'm interested in. (Advertising and Marketing.)

I then looked at the requirements for the job.

Then obivously I looked at the entry requirements for degrees related to my chosen career.

Then after that I had to pick my A-Levels.

I'm currently studying for my GCSEs with a clear career path which I can't wait to go down.
It was one of those cliched 'I've always known what I wanted to do' things. But then I got to about two years ago and decided to do things in a different order. Now I'm 100% happy I've made the right decision!
Marshmellow.
xx

It's all about trial and error, as long as youi know vaguely what subject area you're interested in (for me, that was life sciences).

Tampered with psychology through my A levels, an it wasn't that. Did a bit of audiology, midwifery, and medical work experience (seperately ofc), and I wasn't particularly too into any of those things. Worked in an office for the summer, a viable option after a science degree, and it really reeeeeally wasn't that. Then I started my degree (which I applied for simply because the syllabus sounded interesting and it was in my chose field), and realised that I want to go into research and lecturing, which pretty much sets out my path for me as BSc => MSc => PhD => Research in a university.

I hope that helped!
Geeting the wealth of experience that I did :smile:.
I've been on countless placements, carried out a glory of private research and just life experience in general. Even doing something like bungee jumping told me a lot about who I am.
Basically, I lived.

These ranged from shadowing a family and a commercial solictor, watching court cases, being a head prefect, managing my school's yearly talent show, assisting the health and safety care of small children in SureStart days, beign a peer mentor, a member of the debate team, the basketball team, the chess club, fencing, working at a SEN school. The list goes on..

Spending hours at the weekend at my central library losing myself in books by Dr this and Dr that.
:smile:
Reply 38
Had a vague idea. Looked into more specifics. Found an interesting course at uni. Took it. Dropped out. And then realised it was definitely the right course for me.
Marshmellow.
When and what made you realise what you want to do at uni and in later life?

I'm still very undecided and haven't yet found a 'passion' for anything :eek3:

Just interested to hear about your experiences! :smile:

Any advice on how I can 'find my passion'?

Always follow your interests and do what you prefer as long as it is legal and then you can find your dreams. If you still do not have any idea, read as many books as you can, various books and various stuffs, topics. Then, you can realise the meaning of the life and find your own.
Do not worry, take it easy and always do what you prefer.

Latest