The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd suggest applying for at least one with lower grades, but only if you'd actually want to go there.
apply for a couple AAA and make sure to have back ups, ABB and AAB.

(but all depends what youre actually doing at uni. but as a rule, have a back up or two :smile: )
Reply 3
Alex22Spurs
...does this mean i've got a good chance of being accepted by a Uni offering AAA or is it worthwhile to apply for AAB courses in order to have a higher probability of getting accepted?

What are your experiences?
Any help appreciated :smile:

Well unis look at GCSEs and AS too. To assess the likelihood of you achieving AAA. I'd apply to some AAA, but make sure you have some backups!
Yeah you can go for 3 A uni's, it's advisable that you apply to one uni that you think will be hard to get in but have a decent shout at (e.g. Cambridge since you're on 3 A's), 2/3 uni's that you have a fair chance of getting into; AAA-AAB uni's for your grades, and one uni you sure you will definitely get into; an easy AAB uni or ABB uni (unless they don't have an ABB uni for the course you want to go to, like medicine).
Reply 5
Alex22Spurs
...does this mean i've got a good chance of being accepted by a Uni offering AAA or is it worthwhile to apply for AAB courses in order to have a higher probability of getting accepted?

It depends on what the uni is looking for in a candidate
Alex22Spurs

well at a lot of AAA uni's they interview and if you flop that you'll not get in even with AAA predictions. So i'd suggest applying to 2 top, 2 middle and 2 bottom. That's what I did:smile:. Good luck and hope you get lots of offers!
Reply 7
Yeah, like everyone else is suggesting, I reckon you go for 2 or 3 AAA courses, 1 or 2 AAB courses and maybe even reach up for a competitive uni like Oxford/Cambridge/a London uni. Remember of course you will also have AS results by the time you make your choices, so you have a rough idea how you will do (ie: you may do worse or much better than expected).
Reply 8
I'm predicted A*, A, A and I applied for:

AAA x 2
AAB x 1
ABB x 2

And got 4/5 offers (rejected by Oxford)!

Definitely apply for a few with lower grades.
Reply 9
Im predicted AAAA. Check the sig; you cant apply to all AAA unis.
orca92

You can. Many people do.
Reply 11
orca92

I'd recommend Imperial College. Imperial Graduates are known to earn very high, and with Biology with managment you could hit the financial sector in the city of london and hit big time or somthing :biggrin:

And also i very nearly applied to all AAA uni's though not of my choice...it was the nature of the course..
Worthwhile Unis need A*s.
Alex22Spurs

Firstly, it's predictions, they change by a large amount between where you are now and what you'll get... In many colleges the teachers will just put down whatever the kids ask them to and unis know this they'll look more at your already acheived scores such as AS grades(i don't know what yours are) and GCSEs(As and Bs for you which is by no offence not that spectacular when aiming for AAA unis)

I'd say go to a as many universities as you can, book all your open days and then apply to the ones you like the best not thinking "this one is better and i'll apply here because they want AAA"..

I got offers from places asking for AAA/A*AA which are "better" universities but after post offer open days i decided on the one that's best for me.

But don't apply to all AAA unis, have one at AAB and a nice chillaxed one down by ABB so you can just blag second year and still get in.

That was longer than expected, ahh well, it may help, if not then whatever....
Reply 14
Clarity Incognito
You can. Many people do.

Sorry, dont know why i said that generalisation; yeah you can, i just wouldn't recommend it unless your absoultely sure that your not going to mess up an A level and drop to a B.
apply when you already have your a2 results, then you can risk applying to all AAA unis :smile:
Reply 16
ramzy91
I'd recommend Imperial College. Imperial Graduates are known to earn very high, and with Biology with managment you could hit the financial sector in the city of london and hit big time or somthing :biggrin:

And also i very nearly applied to all AAA uni's though not of my choice...it was the nature of the course..

Thanks, if i went to Imperial i would like to try for IB (failing that, accountancy); its just a high workload thats putting me off; and marine bio will be more interesting.

And yeah, OP, many medicine and dentistry (i believe) applicants can only apply to unis with high grades.

To be honest OP; if your applying for something like economics dont apply to say oxford, lse, ucl, edinburgh and maybe exeter or somewhere wanting AAA; cause you could easily get rejected from all 5 if you have just a small crack in your application (ie: PS);
if your doing a science, say physics, then i'd go for the top unis cause sciences tend to have less applicants than courses like economics or law; if you apply to 5 AAA unis (if there are 5) then you will probs get at least one offer.
Reply 17
Hattie.
I'm predicted A*, A, A and I applied for:

AAA x 2
AAB x 1
ABB x 2

And got 4/5 offers (rejected by Oxford)!

Definitely apply for a few with lower grades.

did you get an interview??
Reply 18
CapitalismRocks
Worthwhile Unis need A*s.

Woww your offers:eek:
Are you firming Cambridge and using LSE as insurance?
Reply 19
I was predicted AAA! but i applied for unis with a range so i could have a choice!
i applied for one with AAA, two AAB, one ABB and one BBB!
as you dont know what could happen in your exams, like everything could go wrong so best to have a back up :smile: i got accpeted by all! I was applying for a compeitive course but still got in all! Just make sure you ahve good/ average PS and relevant work experience and yuou should be fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending