The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Physics with Theoretical Physics

Hi I'm taking a gap year next year and I'm going to reapply. I'm very interesting in applying for Bsc Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial. How is the competetion like for this?

I got 6A*s 5As and I would most likely apply with A* in Maths, A/A* in Further Maths, Physics, Economics. What A-level reults do you think I should be aiming for this course.

Also, how does this degree compare with the Physics degree. I assume Physics has less maths and more practicals.

Im also on track to get a Merit in AEA maths and may take A-level Chemistry in my gap year.
Reply 1
slylion1
Hi there 2nd year theo. phys u/g here.

This course is very competitive and to increase your chances I would advise that you apply for normal physics and transfer to theo. at the beginning of your 2nd year. It won't be a problem as long as you do well in your 1st year maths exam.

Thats the route I went down and incidentally it probably got me in because I didnt even do further maths at A level(they do the whole further maths course in the 1st term) but now im a theorist Im having a quite an amusing time.

As for the actual course you can actually be on the normal physics course and do all the theory option but you wont be able to do the theoretical projects at the end of the course.

Differences are: 1st year Mathematical analysis for short experiments, 2nd year Mathematical methods for languages or other physics options, 3rd year 3 theory options for 3 physics options, advanced classical physics for 3rd year lab and theory project for normal project.

As for labs in the 1st 2 years you have to do it but afterwards you never have to step foot inside one again.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. So the plan should be that I go for physics, hopefully do well in the maths modules, then switch courses. Alos, how do you rate my chances for physics then?? :biggrin:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Latest

Trending

Trending