The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kellywood_5
So why do you say moving from a comprehensive to a grammar looks good? Surely it looks better to stay at a comprehensive and still get good grades?

It probably looks just the same, or better. I was just saying that it looks good, i wasn't meaning anything bad by it. If you went to a crap comprehensive like me, it would be better to get out of there and go to a grammar school. It would just generally help you as grammar schools are more used to the uni thing so can help you more than somewhere that really can't. It's not true in every comprehensive school but for me it was.
I'm sure it looks fine if you just stay at a comprehensive but in my experience, there would have been hardly any hope in me getting a place at a good uni. some of my friends that stayed at the comprehensive don't even know what ucas is (and they'll e applying to uni soon) and because there is no guidance, they aren't exactly going to go to Oxford are they? I am not saying they are not intellectual enough or whatever, or that they couldn't go, i just mean there talent just gets waisted because they don't have the guidance that a grammar does. That's not saying that I'm applying to Oxford because I'm not, it's just an example.
I'm just saying what other people have told me and have nothing against comprehensives.
I guess it really depends on the quality of the comprehensive then. Mine is only average in terms of grades, but in my AS year I had quite small classes, a few excellent teachers and the rest pretty good, we started writing personal statements about halfway through the year and filling in our online UCAS applications in the summer term, we went to an HE superfair and when my head of sixth form asked me if I was considering Oxbridge and I said yes, she arranged for me to go to a conference on applications. So in my case, I can't see that it would have really benefited me by moving to a grammar school, but if a comprehensive is really bad and a student thinks they won't do as well there, it makes sense to move.
Reply 42
Ahh, Master of Basic, you've definitely given me some reassurance :smile: I might PM you about the Hackney train route-my friend lives on the street next to Latymer (I don't think she'll be going there unless she gets a place through a late application) and told me something about a WAGN train and then a bus, but um...I'll probably just stick with the bus until I work things out properly.

I would have actually liked to stay at my school...it's reasonably ok in terms of grades (well, compared to other Islington schools) and I personally haven't ever had a terrible time of it with my peers, though lots of people do. I did get good grades out of it in the end but I think that's really to do with my hard work more than the school. They've messed people around this year and I think the real problem is communication between staff-nobody ever knows what's going on, which just makes it extra stressful for everyone. My head of year was the worst-she took extra long with applications and even sent the wrong predicted grades off for some people (which I actually suspect was on purpose).

I've had this opinion for a long time but despite that, I did really consider staying, until I saw the subject timetable. No matter how good it'll look for me to do my A levels at a comprehensive, I'm not doing a course that I won't enjoy because of this.
ant87
if i were in your position, i'd pick the grammar school. you are obviously intelligent, or you wouldn't even be considered for a grammar school place. especially in london, opportunities like this are gold dust. a gramar school education is probably the only sure-fire way to get a decent education in this country.

Books, libraries and motivation are better than any school.

As to the original post, I'd reccomend that you make the decision solely on what you'd prefer intellectually and personally. Try to free yourself from deciding on the basis of social reasons - it doesn't matter whether it's snobby or whether the other pupils are snobs or idiots or raving lunatics. The only thing that really matters is that it unlocks your mind to new and better terrains.

Don't go to a school or a university because your parents want you to. Don't go because you think it's an economic necessity. Go because you love learning, and that you think that this choice will give you the best environment to learn in.

When I look back, I sometimes wish my school was more intellectual (not necessarily better performing at exams). Not because it would have made me a better person. But it might have made me more able to have unlocked my brain. Instead, I condemn it for keeping my brain locked up for many years.

Of course, that's just the opinion of a cynical idealist. If you're shooting for fame, money and/or Oxbridge for Oxbridge's sake, go for it. My idealism may mean nothing compared to snorting coke using a crisp new £50 note and driving away in a brand-new Mercedes. Brucey bonus! :biggrin:
GlitterStorm
Hey everyone, thanks for your advice :smile:

Ads-the school I'm talking about is in Edmonton, so North London (it's called "The Latymer School"). Right now I live in Hackney, and the journey for me by bus is over an hour...when it's not busy! The train/bus journey is also quite long, so that's another thing that I'll have to get used to, because my old school was only a 15 minute walk away.

hiya
that's the school i go to, we're not snobby! (i hope)
but it's really nice at our school, at least i like it. i'm going into yr12 next year. if there are any qs you have pm me. it's not too strict and from what other people say about comprehensives, we're not much different
i didnt get into Latymer :frown: The interview went really well because he said he liked my art work and me. And that i needed 6 A's, well i got 10 A's from my GCSEs :smile: But i phoned him and he said 'your results are very overwelming but im afraid i cant offer you a place because its full....etc' And im so annoyed!! 3 of my mates got in, and when they wen to enrolment day today, they said some people hardly got 6 A's. I just dont get, i got 10 A's, and my interview went reallly well!! But still didnt get in :frown: :frown: :frown: Is there any chance that they might re consider??
i've already pmed this to you, but people might turn down places in favour of private schools. you did better than some of my friends who already go, so keep hoping.
Reply 47
Aww, Sketchy :frown: You never know, some places might free up after today's form handing/meeting business, so see what happens. It's probable that a few people hadn't made their decision for 6th form and decided to go somewhere else. Congratulations on your results, by the way. Those are awesome-you should be really proud of yourself!!

Enrollment was alright, I found the layout of the school way confusing though...my old school was taller but not as wide :p: Apparently though new people get given maps on their first day, hahaha. Anyway, it was alright, not as daunting as I expected and most people there wern't all intimidating and "yay I got 6 A's I'm so clever" like. Well, um, a few were, but that's to be expected. A girl from my year had decided to go to enrollment too, so we went there together, and although we were never very close friends previously it was good to have someone there that I could recognise.

I'm still quite worried about starting everything new, because (and I'm being honest here), it's very different from my old school. I generally think the worst in these sort of situations, and I just feel like I haven't had a moment yet where everything has fitted into place and I know I'm making the right decision.
Reply 48
London eh?

Not transfering to an Essex grammar school by any chance?
Reply 49
An Essex school??? No way, that's far too much travelling for me!! Sorry, I might have misunderstood your question...were you asking me if the school I'm going to is in Essex? Either way, nope.
Reply 50
smallguy54321
pick the grammer school! i go to one and no ones snobbish they're all normal

I agree... I went to a grammar school. All the people who went there were great, no problems at all... only problem? My grammar school was all boys, lol

Some of the senior members of staff can be a tad snobby at times, but it all depends on the school really.

I wont say that I will miss the school, but I will say that I will miss the people who went there, and it did give me a good education.

Go for it!
i went to grammar school, it was like going to a comp but the lessons and subjects were more academic, but the pupils were from all backgrounds
Reply 52
Shelly.
London eh?

Not transfering to an Essex grammar school by any chance?

i m going to a grammar school in essex in sept.
IZZY!
i m going to a grammar school in essex in sept.

Which one? I live in Essex, so I'm nosy :p:
Personally, I think if you can are intelligent, and you have a place at the Grammar school, go for it. It was really benefit you. I'm at a Grammar school myself, and I know a lot of people ate Comprehensives, and in comparison I just feel the whole atmosphere is a lot better. There is a greater importance on work ethic, and trying to be the best you can be. Also the teachers want you to excell and put in a lot of time. I also know a few people in my 6th form that made the transaction in 6th form from Comp to grammar and they have definetly felt they have been given a greater chance in excelling. It's not snobbish at all, especially 6th form is a lot more laid back and there's people from all different backgrounds which is great. :smile:
Reply 55
kellywood_5
Which one? I live in Essex, so I'm nosy :p:

colchester grammar school.it is in colchester.
IZZY!
colchester grammar school.it is in colchester.

Oh yeah, that's meant to be a realy good school. Hope you like it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending