The Student Room Group
birmingham is one of the best medical school in uk and st.george's is in a very good location.AND it dose not matter which medical school you go to so its totally your dicision.GOOD LUCK
Reply 2
do you really want to be in tooting?
Reply 3
jeremybag
do you really want to be in tooting?

What's so bad about tooting!? :s-smilie:

Both are really good med schools - Bham is much larger considering the year group and intake than St. Georges so it may have some advantages and disadvantages

Getting a foundation posting is easier in Bham than in London and there is little/no competition in Bham with other med schools (the complete opposite in London :wink: )

Good Luck choosing!
jj.
st georges and birmingham are both great medical schools.

you got to look at the teaching styles. st georges has a lot of pbl and birmingham has a little bit of pbl. you got to compare the area, do you want to live in tooting or birmingham.
One hour of CBL a week is hardly 'a lot of pbl'. If anything, our course is integrated - we have clinical skills, surface anatomy, dissection, communication skills, PPD tutorials, lectures, GP visits, clinical attachments amongst other sessions too. Please refrain from posting false claims.
Reply 5
Thanks every1 for ur coments, really appreciate it :smile:
I still can't make my mind, I know bham is an amazing school and my brother is a 3rd year medic there and he's having the time of his life! While george's-although is a London school- from what I've heard cannot boast to be central London and the area is a bit dull and boring. But still central London is a few stops away lol.

I'm an international student and I'm just wondering in terms of reputation, university status etc. Which one is better?
Reply 6
sharifawi
I still can't make my mind, I know bham is an amazing school and my brother is a 3rd year medic there and he's having the time of his life! While george's-although is a London school- from what I've heard cannot boast to be central London and the area is a bit dull and boring. But still central London is a few stops away lol.

I'm an international student and I'm just wondering in terms of reputation, university status etc. Which one is better?

Both pretty much similar!! If i were you I'd pick the cheaper one as they so similar on all other levels :wink:
Reply 7
Jules65
Both pretty much similar!! If i were you I'd pick the cheaper one as they so similar on all other levels :wink:

Then that would be be bham since my brother is already there we can share the apartment :biggrin:
Reply 8
sharifawi
I've got offers to do medicine in both but I'm finding it really difficult to choose which to to firm and which to insure! Any help :smile:?

Hey Sharifawi

Just saw your post and thought I would point you in the direction of the Info I have just posted on another thread, I think it was about sheffied vs SGUL. I just described a bit more about SGUL so if you want a little more info to help you make up your mind it may be worth checking it out. If you have any more Q's about SGUL just ask. I also saw you are an International student and I just thought I would add that some of my friends are International students and they seem to have settled really well and there is a good International student society as well.

I don't know much about Birmingham (alhough I am sure it is also a good uni) but have you tried making a pros and cons list? That may help. I am sure many applicants would envy your position but I know its a tough decision so don't feel rushed. Take your time and I hope you are happy wherever you go.

:smile:

Best Wishes x
Reply 9
Jules65
Getting a foundation posting is easier in Bham than in London and there is little/no competition in Bham with other med schools (the complete opposite in London :wink: )

Good Luck choosing!

where you graduate from has nothing to do whatsoever with where you get a job. you can apply to London even if you are bham and vice versa! London is competitive as many students from oxbridge and other universities choose to come here. but being a london student does not by any means force you to stay once you graduate.

sharifawi

i beg to differ! tooting is where things you might not think could happen, do happen! george's is a nice uni, tooting... yes, not so nice (in terms of poshness, architecture, cleanthiness, etc. but it certainly isnt as bad as places like Whitechapel). and you tend to make the best of it: all the curry houses and halal food if you want it, kingston is a bus ride away, wimbeldon is a 5 mins bus trip, etc. and then you pop down to london for other things. its nice to be able to be far enough to get cheap accommodation but also a 20 min tube ride to the centre.
Reply 10
malaz_197
where you graduate from has nothing to do whatsoever with where you get a job. you can apply to London even if you are bham and vice versa! London is competitive as many students from oxbridge and other universities choose to come here. but being a london student does not by any means force you to stay once you graduate.

i beg to differ! tooting is where things you might not think could happen, do happen! george's is a nice uni, tooting... yes, not so nice (in terms of poshness, architecture, cleanthiness, etc. but it certainly isnt as bad as places like Whitechapel). and you tend to make the best of it: all the curry houses and halal food if you want it, kingston is a bus ride away, wimbeldon is a 5 mins bus trip, etc. and then you pop down to london for other things. its nice to be able to be far enough to get cheap accommodation but also a 20 min tube ride to the centre.

I know you can apply everywhere but most people end up staying near to where they studied as they get to know the area over 5 years and normally prefer to stay near close to friends etc.

In this respect, its easier to stay in cities like Bham rather than London as its very competitive to get a posting - but if your one of those people who likes moving around then ignore my advice!

Latest

Trending

Trending