The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did it based on both. I had plans to do History at uni and so chose initially:

Maths
Chemistry
History
Physics

But then after not enjoying physics as much and being on my own in there with people ignoring me I changed to

Maths
Chemistry
History
English Lang & Lit

I chose the first 3 as I really enjoyed them at GCSE and wanted to continue learning them and then after the change of heart, from my options I decided that English was the best one in terms of complementing History and I'd done well in it at GCSE.
I picked to do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths just because this is what I was good at not necessarily because i enjoyed them and i didn't know what i wanted to do and theres loads of different things i could do with these. But i'm probably going to go to Uni to do maths. Just do what you are good at but to be good at something you've also got to enjoy it :smile: If you're really unsure just take a range of subjects which will leave the doors open for you!
I chose As-levels which would allow me to get into what i want to do in uni :biggrin: but i guess i wouldve chosen these subjects anyway because i enjoy them :p: (i would never choose anything i didn't like a lot)
-Math, Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, Psychology
Can't wait to start sixth form! :biggrin:
kaying
hi, so when deciding options, there are usually two different groups of people. one group who choose their options in order to get more chance of getting into the university of their choice and another group who chooses their a levels in relation to their aspirations/what they enjoy.

What did/are you guys doing (what group are you in)?

extra: my draft options are: maths, chemistry, history and english.
idk whether to keep chemistry since i dont want to do anything in science (i cant drop maths because this is the glue which gives me the chance to complete 4 a levels instead of 3 A levels and 4 AS) or to choose Art which is something I enjoy... its a lot of work though. i'm only contemplating now because i've had talks with older people in my family who've told me to do something i enjoy; i dont think i'll enjoy chem but it should be okay.

For AS I chose
French
History
Government & Politics
English Lit (which I no longer do)
Critical Thinking (compulsory for AS)

I chose on the bases of what I enjoy and what I knew would help my uni studies as I wanted to do law. I also chose French because a language always gives you future job prospects. :smile:

If you don't need Chemistry don't choose it unless you enjoy it. As long as you have 3 strong subjects you can have 1/2 weak subject and it wont hinder your uni applications.:o:
All of mine have been confirmed now. There in my sig but I'll put again.

English Lit (My favourite subject by far...I really want to continue it in Uni)
Maths (I like to problem solve and I'm good at it)
History (I have a slight fascination with dictators...hmmm)
Biology (My favourite science. I love dissection.)
Drama and Theatre Studies (I'm crazy plus everyone told me I had to. Apparently I'm a drama queen...)

I did nearly take Politics, but that was my way to sensible side coming in. It would probably bore me to death really. Although I do find parts of it interesting. I also nearly chose Classics, just on a whim, as it looked pretty neat. And French was another option...but I really just memorise, after exams I suck at it. Also psychology as it's so damn popular, but it seems a bit soft to me. (Cough...says the girl taking Drama) Physics was also an option, but then I went and got a bloody A in my GCSE modules. Stupid A...not an A*. So I fell out of love with Physics. I suck at Chemistry...I'm not even considering it. Art would be good, but my new school made me drop it at GCSE (damn them!) as I had to many options for them.

So I chose the ones in my OP. And I love them all. Can't wait for sixth form.
I'm also choosing my A levels:

Maths
Economics
History
and I can't decide between Eng Lit or Physics

You need to do a combination of what you enjoy and what's sensible OP. I really enjoy photgraphy - but I'm keeping that as a hobby because I know it won't be as beneficial to me as history, for example when applying to uni.
Reply 46
lovely_me
I'm also choosing my A levels:

Maths
Economics
History
and I can't decide between Eng Lit or Physics

You need to do a combination of what you enjoy and what's sensible OP. I really enjoy photgraphy - but I'm keeping that as a hobby because I know it won't be as beneficial to me as history, for example when applying to uni.

oh cools, i decided on economics instead of chemistry. if you take eng lit our choices will be the same lols, i was just a bit worried the subjects would look too essay based >< but it should be fine, thanks for the replies everyone~
Reply 47
kaying
hi, so when deciding options, there are usually two different groups of people. one group who choose their options in order to get more chance of getting into the university of their choice and another group who chooses their a levels in relation to their aspirations/what they enjoy.

What did/are you guys doing (what group are you in)?

extra: my draft options are: maths, chemistry, history and english.
idk whether to keep chemistry since i dont want to do anything in science (i cant drop maths because this is the glue which gives me the chance to complete 4 a levels instead of 3 A levels and 4 AS) or to choose Art which is something I enjoy... its a lot of work though. i'm only contemplating now because i've had talks with older people in my family who've told me to do something i enjoy; i dont think i'll enjoy chem but it should be okay.

Hey, I really think your subjects sound diverse and exciting! :smile: I would drop Chemistry for definite; not because it's a bad subject, it's just, I hate to see people waste their creative output, or substitute it for something they think is 'appropriate', 'hard' or 'respected'. Seriously, do Art. You've said you don't enjoy Chemistry :smile:

Next year, I shall be pursuing:

-English Literature
-Maths
-History
-Philosophy
-Extended Project

I was going to do Theatre Studies, yet it clashed with Literature.
You do whatever you feel comfortable with, and don't let others' morals choose for you. Good luck :smile:

PS: I am in neither group; I hate stereotyping. I do whatever I want to. If you believe in fate, then it doesn't matter what group you're in.

Latest