The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've only read the odyssey, with the current intention of getting to the iliad! It's fantastic I think, although it's really important you get the right translation - for the odysseym lattimore and lewis are rather good, another one I read was completely awful but I've forgotten the translators name, so it's rather useless me telling you that...
Reply 21
Madelyn
I know, but I think that there's so much of Chapman in it that you can't really call it Homer. This is one of the problems I usually have with translations, it's often hard to tell how much is the translator and how much the original writer. I think Chapman's Homer is a brilliant work in its own right.
true of all good translations: 'a pretty thing,mr.pope, but you must not call it homer.' or the famous remark that translations are like wives: if they are faithful they are seldom beautiful; if they are beautiful they are seldom faithful.'
Reply 22
Weejimmie
true of all good translations: 'a pretty thing,mr.pope, but you must not call it homer.' or the famous remark that translations are like wives: if they are faithful they are seldom beautiful; if they are beautiful they are seldom faithful.'

Quite. So I'm actually rather fond of these 'versions' (the one which springs to mind is Don Juan adapted by Simon Nye, though there are many others), where an actual translator literally translates the text, then a proper writer makes it into a proper literary book/play/poem. But I fear I'm too much of a linguist to really appreciate anything in translation. Except Pound's translations, but I suppose I read them as Pound rather than as other people in translation.
Reply 23
rieu's translation of the iliad is actually pretty good i think. i read west's translation of the aeneid, which, also prose, seems to be relatively similar in terms of 'style', so it wasn't too hard to get into.

i can't work out whether i prefer virgil to homer; whilst one's influenced by the other(s), you could say that it's an effective elaboration rather than a standard imitation.
Reply 24
I quite enjoyed it.
My translation (I don't know if it's the same for every one) had all these little expressions they'd mention - like a title - for the characters:

eg. Athene of the flashing eyes
aegis-bearing Zeus
the fleet-footed [can't remember]
the black-browed
bronze-tipped

unfortunately, this always cracked me up a bit (esp when you got a sentence packed full of the hyphenated epiphets), even in the touching death scenes.

Paris is a tw*t, btw. er, I mean, Paris of the withered gonads is a tw*t.
Reply 25
silence

i can't work out whether i prefer virgil to homer

Now there's a tricky question (despite it not being a question, but I'll happily ignore that). There was a time when I was a hardcore-ovid fan, but then I discovered homer. Virgil I'm tackling at the moment.
Reply 26
Madelyn
Quite. So I'm actually rather fond of these 'versions' (the one which springs to mind is Don Juan adapted by Simon Nye, though there are many others), where an actual translator literally translates the text, then a proper writer makes it into a proper literary book/play/poem. But I fear I'm too much of a linguist to really appreciate anything in translation. Except Pound's translations, but I suppose I read them as Pound rather than as other people in translation.
book that might interest you le ton beau de marot by douglas hofstadter which examines translation ingeneral and experiments with possible ways of translating one poem.
Reply 27
milady
I quite enjoyed it.
My translation (I don't know if it's the same for every one) had all these little expressions they'd mention - like a title - for the characters

the rieu translation has it and it can be ambiguously confusing at times. the epithets are best expressed in a way with no parentheses/hyphens etc; i guess that's how it is in the greek so it seems more authentic. a (made up) example of how it gets difficult would be something like "Athene daughter of Zeus the almighty thunder bearer".. i suppose if you know your stuff you can work out what goes with what contextually, but mentally slip commas after 'Athene' and 'Zeus' and you'll get yourself in a great branston pickle.

steerpike
Now there's a tricky question (despite it not being a question, but I'll happily ignore that). There was a time when I was a hardcore-ovid fan, but then I discovered homer. Virgil I'm tackling at the moment.

the aeneid is simply great. it's got everything in equally sufficient portions (which homer's books, individually, can seem to lack), i.e. fighting, romance, personal problems.
Reply 28
Weejimmie, thanks for the recommendation. That looks rather exciting.

I much prefer Homer to Vergil, but I think that's partly because I try to read Vergil as Homer, which doesn't really work. I know Vergil's good and everything, but Homer is just...completely beyond words.

The honorific epithet thing shows why we should only read languages with noun cases. Clearly they're morally superior :smile:

milady
Paris is a tw*t, btw. er, I mean, Paris of the withered gonads is a tw*t.

Totally. I don't much like Achilles, either.
Reply 29
Madelyn
Weejimmie, thanks for the recommendation. That looks rather exciting.

I much prefer Homer to Vergil, but I think that's partly because I try to read Vergil as Homer, which doesn't really work. I know Vergil's good and everything, but Homer is just...completely beyond words.
The honorific epithet thing shows why we should only read languages with noun cases. Clearly they're morally superior :smile:

Totally. I don't much like Achilles, either.

Do you think so? In the original language, I always found Vergil far more interesting than Homer since there is so much more you can learn from the text, metre, imagery, doctrina etc Homer becomes repetitive after reading pages and pages of the Iliad/Odyssey in Greek.. :rolleyes:

silence
the aeneid is simply great. it's got everything in equally sufficient portions (which homer's books, individually, can seem to lack), i.e. fighting, romance, personal problems.

Agreed (PS. how can I join the latin soc?...and is there are greek soc?)
Reply 30
doctor_b
In the original language, I always found Vergil far more interesting than Homer since there is so much more you can learn from the text, metre, imagery, doctrina etc Homer becomes repetitive after reading pages and pages of the Iliad/Odyssey in Greek.

Well, I've only read Book II of the Aeneid in Latin and a section of the Odyssey in (heavily adapted) Greek, but even so I vastly preferred Homer. Although I'm starting to think that I prefer Greek to Latin (but how can I choose?), so that might be something of a factor. Even so, to me, comparing Homer and Vergil is like comparing Shakespeare and Marlowe - much as I love Marlowe, there's simply no contest. And I think you might be right about there being more to the Aeneid, but it doesn't enthrall me the way Homer can. Look at me abandoning all pretence of rationality, I feel so pre-feminist :rolleyes:

doctor_b
(PS. how can I join the latin soc?...and is there are greek soc?)

Find the AQA A2 Latin Soc thread in the secondary school Foreign Languages subforum, and post in it. And go to the control panel thing that lets you join societies (under group membership, I think) and ask to be allowed in. There was momentarily a Greek soc, but I rather imagine it died. I suppose we could try turning the Greek discussion thread into a society.
Reply 31
Madelyn
Well, I've only read Book II of the Aeneid in Latin and a section of the Odyssey in (heavily adapted) Greek, but even so I vastly preferred Homer. Although I'm starting to think that I prefer Greek to Latin (but how can I choose?), so that might be something of a factor. Even so, to me, comparing Homer and Vergil is like comparing Shakespeare and Marlowe - much as I love Marlowe, there's simply no contest. And I think you might be right about there being more to the Aeneid, but it doesn't enthrall me the way Homer can. Look at me abandoning all pretence of rationality, I feel so pre-feminist :rolleyes:

I loved Greek but for me Latin is maximus :smile: Although I don't really enjoy reading Vergil in translation whereas I don't mind reading Homer's work in English.. :redface:
Reply 32
Homer in translation tends to be more literary (cf. Chapman!), so you can sort of forget that it's translation, whereas with Vergil you're always aching for the Latin to replace this inexpressive English.
I have more Latin than Greek, so Greek has all the attraction of novelty. And it's sexier.
Reply 33
How's Greek poetry (excluding epic)? I'm really enjoying the Latin..eg Catullus, Ovid..
Reply 34
Greek poetry is, of course, amazing. Sappho - need I say more?
Reply 35
what you said about the iliad being repetitive.... when there's reported speech of any length, it's quite amusingly identical. as in agamemnon will say "bla bla bla", odysseus goes off to tell achilles what he said and it's the exact same "bla bla bla", word for word! quite unrealistic, but i suppose that's an important attribute of spoken/sung epic verse.

another unrealistic thing, but funny, and i think occurs slightly more in virgil than homer, is when it's like "aeneas picks up his bow to shoot turnus and says a quick prayer to the gods before sending the arrow flying".. but that quick prayer can go on for paragraphs.. and then he fires the arrow! quite extraordinary.
Reply 36
margaret atwood is about to publish the penelopiad- the version according to penelope. it's interesting to look at the afterlife of ulysses- joyce, kazantakis, tennyson, a d hope...
Reply 37
also mentioned in dante inferno.xxvi, isn't it (afterlife of ulysses)? i think that's possibly the origin of later accounts but i'm not sure.

and trust atwood to do something from the viewpoint of a woman.
--------------
and just as a side note: there's a programme of channel 4 in five mins (7.30pm) all about helen of troy... it's 2 hours long so it could be quite interesting. i'm off now to watch it.
Reply 38
ah im supposed to read the odyssey, iliad and some virgil stuff for uni....ive started the odyssey...so hard to get into! altho i spose it's cos it's an educational thing, if i'm reading for my own pleasure then it's so much more easier! i last read the odyssey when i was in the 3rd yr i think n it was okies...ive got the york notes for it tho..lol i dont think i should read that before i read the odyssey again tho!
Reply 39
silence
and just as a side note: there's a programme of channel 4 in five mins (7.30pm) all about helen of troy... it's 2 hours long so it could be quite interesting. i'm off now to watch it.

I just saw a bit of that, and found it so irritating and patronising that I had to turn it off. There was some interesting stuff in there, but not enough to make it worthwhile, I felt.

Latest

Trending

Trending