The Student Room Group

LITA3 AQA A A2 English Literature exam 15th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Jamstar
For the first question I talked about the presentation of romantic embraces (i.e. unromantic in the first, romantic in the second). But went on to argue that in neither case love is presented - the guy with the weird surname in the second question didn't even know the chambermaid's name.

Then in the second question I just rambled on about love being out of human's control (must have repeated this point about 20 times because I couldn't think of anything else to say...)

Interesting, I took a different (probably wrong) route.
For 1, I talked about unrequited and bad male initiated forbidden love VS semi-requited and OK male initiated forbidden love. And talked about Lolita somewhat. For style for that I just banged on about narrative and sentence structure for half the essay then imagery.
For 2, I talked about (so simplistically argh) "good" harmonious love against "bad" love, and rattled on about imagery again and form, with poor wider reading links. Oh and rhyme determinism in literary criticism which had nowt to do with it. My conclusion was utterly dire.
Reply 381
ytang25
I couldnt' understand the Extract on Sterne at all what was it about? particularly the second half.

I think basically it's the older man trying to seduce a young innocent girl, which he manages to do in the second half (hence the word 'conquest'). At least, that's as far as I got with it.
Reply 382
d123
That was horrible, I hardly made any decent points and forgot most of my wider reading quotes. I didn't manage to use all the things I'd have liked to because the extracts were awful. Question 1 was better than question 2 though. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be nice and low.

Now I have to revise for History tomorrow ...

Sorry to ask this in this forum but are you doing USA boom and bust??? For edexcel?
I nearly died during the first question. It was just me stabbing in the dark about sentence structures and showing how the writers show their character's lack of control/restriant. The second one i thought was much better tbh as it seemed to be showing how powerful love was as a force.
Ah. Hope my examiner has a sense of humour, or at least a finely honed sense of sympathy.

None of my wider reading was really relevant. Think I misread the Sterne extract, and then on the second question I just went off delving into the realms of fantasy with some of my comments on structure and form.
ytang25
Sorry to ask this in this forum but are you doing USA boom and bust??? For edexcel?

I'm doing that exam... can't wait :/
Reply 386
ytang25

Nope I'm not sorry, AQA Britain 1951-2007
Reply 387
d123
I think basically it's the older man trying to seduce a young innocent girl, which he manages to do in the second half (hence the word 'conquest'). At least, that's as far as I got with it.

:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie: I got it the other way round. I wrote that while the male dominates the female in Carter's extract, the maid was the one seducing Mr. Yorick in Stern's extract. And then I linked in Restoration context by saying that the courtly love perception of female as pure and demure was replaced and female had more individuality, and the extract was an example of it!? I think I went off an entirely wrong direction. UMS please :frown:(((
Reply 388
I'm getting worried by the fact that I didn't have almost all the ideas that people have posted in here! I need to get at least 75% UMS to get an A overall I think, and I don't think I got that.
Reply 389
ytang25
:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie: I got it the other way round. I wrote that while the male dominates the female in Carter's extract, the maid was the one seducing Mr. Yorick in Stern's extract. And then I linked in Restoration context by saying that the courtly love perception of female as pure and demure was replaced and female had more individuality, and the extract was an example of it!? I think I went off an entirely wrong direction. UMS please :frown:(((

You might be right. I thought it was male seducing female because of the military language, like he refers to it as a conquest. I think it was a seduction where she was willing, he didn't have to fight hard, but because he called it a conquest I thought it was him seducing her. But I reckon that whatever you put if you back it up with enough evidence and are convincing enough then you'll get credit - I hope so anyway!
ytang25
I wrote that while the male dominates the female in Carter's extract, the maid was the one seducing Mr. Yorick in Stern's extract.

I got this from the texts too, but the Stern extract really confused me so I wouldn't be surprised if I was totally on the wrong lines.
My incredibly intelligent friend decided to remind me that that section was called 'temptation' and therefore that was what that section was about.

Damn him. Wish I had his brain.
Reply 391
I basically stated that we didnt get her perspective, and so we can't be sure how all the events happened like she said. Similarly, I said that despite the 3rd person omniscient narrator, we only got Melanie's perspective - perhaps Finn would have a different idea about what their kiss was like :\
Well, I think I can safely say that was an epic fail. I spent ages revising but none if it was remotely relevant. I spent ages trying (and failing) to understand the first question then had hardly any time for the second. **** my life.
Reply 393
You!Me!Dancing!
I got this from the texts too, but the Stern extract really confused me so I wouldn't be surprised if I was totally on the wrong lines.
My incredibly intelligent friend decided to remind me that that section was called 'temptation' and therefore that was what that section was about.

Damn him. Wish I had his brain.

Temptation vs. lust/desire was hard to compare. We'll just have to push on. More exams tomorrow for me. Good luck with the rest of yours :smile:
Reply 394
Oh god that made me want to kill myself!
I completely missed the point of the Marvell extract (forbidden love, class difference etc.) There was so much I could have talked about if I realised!

I linked to Jane Eyre and Tess for the first, and Of Love and Love's Philosophy for the second.

OH GAAAD
xmarilynx
Well, I think I can safely say that was an epic fail. I spent ages revising but none if it was remotely relevant. I spent ages trying (and failing) to understand the first question then had hardly any time for the second. **** my life.

Ditto ditto ditto.
Reply 396
MikeSpur07
I'm doing that exam... can't wait :/

Dedicated last night to Lit. Tonight will be for History :|

What are you going to focus on?
d123
That was horrible, I hardly made any decent points and forgot most of my wider reading quotes. I didn't manage to use all the things I'd have liked to because the extracts were awful. Question 1 was better than question 2 though. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be nice and low.

Now I have to revise for History tomorrow ...

Same here. Wish I hadn't bothered revising for English now (none of my wider reading was relevant and I forgot most of it), and I feel horribly under-prepared for History now :s-smilie:
I wrote a lot about form and language but not as much about structure. What effect do you think this will have on my marks?
Reply 399
xmarilynx
Same here. Wish I hadn't bothered revising for English now (none of my wider reading was relevant and I forgot most of it), and I feel horribly under-prepared for History now :s-smilie:

Yeah, I think that's what I hate about English - however much work you do never seems to make any difference. And I need to get an A in either English or History, and after today English looks unlikely, and as I have no idea what I got in my History coursework, I think I need a miracle tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending