The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey everyone! I have a dilemma, i've been offered accomodation with an en suite for westminster uni in ''beaumont court'' which is near camden. It's approx 20-30 mins away from my uni campus, but they're charging £27 a day, which gives me around £840 a month. In my opinion it's ridicolous, i could get a flat for less than that, right? And as a matter of fact my father's found me an apartment for £600 a month, all costs included, the same time away from my main campus.

Should i go for the cheaper option and live alone, or move to halls and pay £240 extra? Is it really worth it? And i can still manage to go out with friends etc right? im just not sure how much it will impact my social life.

Any tips?
Reply 181
I worried about not making friends and that but there will be more people than you think who are commuting. I thought I'd be the only one. You don't have to miss out on anything :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by piedpiper
Hey everyone! I have a dilemma, i've been offered accomodation with an en suite for westminster uni in ''beaumont court'' which is near camden. It's approx 20-30 mins away from my uni campus, but they're charging £27 a day, which gives me around £840 a month. In my opinion it's ridicolous, i could get a flat for less than that, right? And as a matter of fact my father's found me an apartment for £600 a month, all costs included, the same time away from my main campus.

Should i go for the cheaper option and live alone, or move to halls and pay £240 extra? Is it really worth it? And i can still manage to go out with friends etc right? im just not sure how much it will impact my social life.

Any tips?

If you're not bothered about living on your own then it doesn't matter. People at my uni didn't live in halls and didn't miss out. Plus you'll have more money to do what you want with :smile:
I think you'd be better off living in the apartment. You can always visit the halls, and making friends there is not a necessity, although a convenience sometimes. By the way, just because you're staying alone doesn't mean you have to be alone all the time. Have a study partner come over occasionally, you can cook meals and even eat together that way. Also, living separately allows you to experience adult life at a different level, which will prove useful in future, I hope. If you feel bored, you can always hop on a bus and move around the city just looking through the bus windows. Plus, the environment in an apartment is well-suited if you have certain habits like taking frequent showers, wearing light clothes, eating off your floor (just joking about that one), or listening to music when you're cooking.

I hope that was helpful.
Reply 184
what better?
Original post by jsamra
what better?

Living Out:
+Become independant
+Makes it easier to go nights out at uni, especially during freshers as you dont have to worry about getting back or parents not letting you go out (if they are strict)
+You have a group of people to hang round with automatically which is useful when you dont know anyone else
+ Shorter journey to lectures can get out of bed later

However
-Halls can be noisy
-Have to wash up, clean own clothes, possibly clean own room & cook
-the cost- living out will save you money
-
I've decided to live at home next year because my uni's about a half hour away by train and it wasn't worth it to me to live out... I'm really close to my family i'd miss them, but also the debt terrifies me, and it'd be really high, expecially considering the fact that i'm gonna spend a year abroad...

I was just wondering if it's true what people say, that it's harder to be social and make friends if you don't live at uni? Does anyone have any advice about it?

Reply 187
I live in private accommodation. But the thing is my flat is full of students from other universities so its not a complete social block, just not people from my uni I suppose. But I would imagine it would be pretty hard to make new friends or enjoy your self compared to living in with other students.
Well I think it might be because they'll meet each other in freshers week. But if you put the effort to talk to people straight away and you actually go out on nights out with them then no you can still make friends
I'm going to university in September 2012 and cannot decide between living at home or staying at university. The accomodation looks great but im just cautious because of the living costs but the travel costs are just as bad if i was to stay at home.
What's it like living in dorms? Or anyone who isn't in university but considering their accomodation choices...what are your thoughts :smile:
Accommodation, time to become independent girl! It's the best decision to go to halls if ur a fresher!
Reply 191
live in halls 110% people say you aren't missing out but they miss out on stuff you don't even think about. small stuff but its all part of the fun. like people smoking out the flat because they tried to cook toast in a microwave.

and I can say that unbiased because I lived out for 3 months at the start of term but it became impossible for me I lived an hour away on the train and missed out so much the first few weeks so I moved into halls, best decision ever
Original post by Laharll
live in halls 110% people say you aren't missing out but they miss out on stuff you don't even think about. small stuff but its all part of the fun. like people smoking out the flat because they tried to cook toast in a microwave.

and I can say that unbiased because I lived out for 3 months at the start of term but it became impossible for me I lived an hour away on the train and missed out so much the first few weeks so I moved into halls, best decision ever

Oh good, I could inhale smoke and trigger an asthma attack, possibly die or at least be very unwell. :rolleyes: I'd rather miss out on 'fun' like that and live with people who wouldn't be so stupid.
I'm starting uni next month and I'd love to move out for the year, but I'm a carer for my mum so I chose to stay at home. I can still make friends with people on my course and it's only 30mins on the train. I think those that can go to Halls should definitely try it, but even though I'm at home, I still get my independence and have to pay rent as well! xD
Reply 194
I want to study at my local university. Well, I say local - it's almost an hour bus journey.
Basically even if I get in there I want to move into halls. But my parents want me to stay at home and commute.
My reasons:
- I want to study medicine, so an average day will be longer than many other courses, with nearly two hours traveling on top of that.
- The whole university experience.

Their reasons:
- Cost.

How can I explain to them that this is what I want to do, whenever they bring it up (I don't even mention it anymore) they get very defensive and say I'm making a big mistake.

[I haven't even applied to university yet]

To sum up:
How can I stop arguments?
Am I, in fact, making a big mistake?
Thanks
yes, in your boat iu would just do it for one year, [purely for the experience you will have sooo much fun. DO IT

ps sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes (had a buit too miuch to drink tonight)
Reply 196
I do feel the need to say that this is more likely than not to be a non-issue as medical school is very competitive and it's the fortunate few that have a choice of Uni. Wait until you get an offer from your local University before arguing with your parents about this (although I would absolutely move out).
I'm living at home for my first year and I wasn't even that worried about it until I read all the awful stuff people say about people living at home on TSR! I'm usually pretty good with new people and making friends etc, but most people are making it sound like you're doomed to be a loner if you're not in halls. :s-smilie:

I'm also dreading how I'm supposed to turn up to freshers week alone now, considering everyone will have already met people the weekend before!
Original post by Carpet21
I'm living at home for my first year and I wasn't even that worried about it until I read all the awful stuff people say about people living at home on TSR! I'm usually pretty good with new people and making friends etc, but most people are making it sound like you're doomed to be a loner if you're not in halls. :s-smilie:

I'm also dreading how I'm supposed to turn up to freshers week alone now, considering everyone will have already met people the weekend before!

I live at home, it's fine. TSR filled with people who aren't university students who like to air their imaginings that halls are all fun and games, and everyone who lives at home has a mental of age of ten as fact.
It's between 10 - 30 minutes away depending on which way you travel. It would be a lot cheaper for you to live at home because you won't have to pay for living expenses and you're getting a good deal by not having to pay rent to your parents. You would also be able to have enough money to get your driving lessons/car by saving what you would have possibly spent on food, rent and other expenses.

I don't think you'll miss out on loads because the distance really isn't that much, but it's up to you on which you would like to do.

I'm going into my 3rd year now and I'm living at home because it's so much cheaper to commute for me than move out.

Latest

Trending

Trending