The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Well, there's SamtheMan talking about premature baldness (guys are you reading this?), so I can't see why it shouldn't grey either!
Reply 61
bah gel it wax it whatever the ocassion calls for i have thick curly hair normally so ... its not so much of a choice =\
Reply 62
fleur-de-lis
Well, there's SamtheMan talking about premature baldness (guys are you reading this?), so I can't see why it shouldn't grey either!

Maybe it just ruins the hair - dissolution through chemicals.etc. - rather than prematurely aging it...
I know on one of my friends pairs of oakleys the lenses are shot because of the alcohol in his hair gel - so if it can do it to plastic...
Reply 63
You can't get drunk from hair gel can you :p: ?
Wax for me, just use a bit on my finger tip to shape it.

People still wear hair gel? It looks and feels crap.
Reply 65
But the slightly majority opinion is still that guys don't wear gel etc and girls don't like guys wearing gel.
Reply 66
ooooooooo. i also get the occasional white hair which is worrying. they seem to go away again tho.

probably stress or something :smile:
fleur-de-lis
But the slightly majority opinion is still that guys don't wear gel etc and girls don't like guys wearing gel.

I think gel is a quick-fix to look a bit more stylish. Of course you'd prefer us all to have lovely beautifully natural hair but we don't all have that unfortunately :frown: Gel is a way of masking crap hair.

Just as a lot of guys probably prefer girls without make-up... even though a girl has to be truly naturally beautiful to impress without make-up but when she does, she beats any girl with a thick layer of make-up.
bikerx23
Maybe it just ruins the hair - dissolution through chemicals.etc. - rather than prematurely aging it...
I know on one of my friends pairs of oakleys the lenses are shot because of the alcohol in his hair gel - so if it can do it to plastic...

The thing is it's bad for the scalp... you don't become bald by ruining the actual hair but by ruining the scalp. A lot of dermatologists believe that greasy hair is bad for your scalp and can worsen balding (but since dermatologists all have different theories... like a while back, some believed that eating unhealthy food gave you spots). Obviously something like wax or gel is not going to be good for the scalp. So that leads to stuff like dandruff or can help premature baldness.
When I use wax, I find the feeling unpleasant and if I leave it overnight I get itching so I usually just put some in ocassionally when going out and wash it out as soon as possible.
Reply 69
SamTheMan
I think gel is a quick-fix to look a bit more stylish. Of course you'd prefer us all to have lovely beautifully natural hair but we don't all have that unfortunately :frown: Gel is a way of masking crap hair.

Just as a lot of guys probably prefer girls without make-up... even though a girl has to be truly naturally beautiful to impress without make-up but when she does, she beats any girl with a thick layer of make-up.

The hair part- it's when they use gel/whatever, that you notice that something is wrong with their hair.
That's interesting about make up! Then there's hope for me :p:
Reply 70
Girls also use hair styling stuffs.
Reply 71
just thinking myself...surely greasy hair is the natural thing...therefore is good for you?
The hair products being bad for you is because its alcohol solvents...
If you use aftershaves with alcohol in your skin feels really cold and dessicated, so i assume its a similar effect...
bikerx23
just thinking myself...surely greasy hair is the natural thing...therefore is good for you?
The hair products being bad for you is because its alcohol solvents...
If you use aftershaves with alcohol in your skin feels really cold and dessicated, so i assume its a similar effect...

Yes greasy hair is natural but noone said that baldness was bad for you :rolleyes: It's perfectly natural and isn't some flaw... trust me gel, wax are bad for your scalp (I doubt you'd find a dermatologist who would disagree but their opinions might differ on the severity) and give scalp problems: hairloss is one of them.

I'm sure there are other problems like gel damaging the actual hair but hair drops off and regrows...

fleur-de-lis

The hair part- it's when they use gel/whatever, that you notice that something is wrong with their hair.
That's interesting about make up! Then there's hope for me :p:

Well if you're incredibly attractive naturally, without make-up then definitely. I don't think you'd find that many guys who think that make-up is hot. It's just a way of hiding flaws (but also enhancing your good features I guess) but most guys would prefer a girl who looks gorgeous without make-up and ok with make-up than a girl who loves plain without make-up and needs make-up to look good.
Reply 73
Using alcohol on your normal skin gets rid of dirt and all kinds of wonderful pathogens, which obviously means that it can penetrate deep into the dermis, perhaps till the subcutaneous tissue. Alcohol is quite good for removing blackheads and stuffs, so I can imagine the effect of such derived products on hair
Reply 74
Baldness is a problem if you had perfectly normal hair and ruined it by using chemicals
Just like we normally are born with normal lungs, but some end up destroying it with smoking.
Reply 75
that would explain why heavy metal musicians still have all their hair then - to control that with wax would cost more than their salaries!
see lemmy and ozzy osbourne for examples :biggrin:
Reply 76
agree with you there sam - i dont like to see make up slapped all over the face.etc. - people look beautiful as they are (although its fine by me if women want to use make up to highlight more than paint :biggrin:)
Reply 77
How do you we know if the hair is for real?
Reply 78
i've met lemmy - and saw him in concert...he would need industrial strength adhesives to keep it on...
up close it looks just as convinving as any i've seen....
Reply 79
I don't know- perhaps that would be genetics.

Latest