The Student Room Group

Microgynon or Ovranette - Help please

hello, i've just been to the doctors and got a prescription for Microgynon.
i've been on the pill before and havent taken it now since about last October. i couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called but now that i'm back home i think it may have been Ovranette.
i'm really worried now as i don't want any side effects from this new pill, i was perfectly fine on the pill i was on a few months ago.
what should i do? i've been given 6 months supply of this one =S
(p.s i'm not 100% sure it was ovranette and not microgynon but for some reason ovranette sounds REALLY familiar to me o.O)
I've been on Microgynon for 3 years and have never looked back
try it, and if needs changing change it. I'm surprised you got 6 rather than 3 months tho.
Reply 3
I'd try it anyway and see if it works for you. If you do have any problems with it and want to switch back, I'm sure your GP will be happy to switch you to something else.
Try it, and see how you get on with it. Some people are fine with it, some aren't. Go straight to your GP if you get any side effects, and ask if you can change pill.
Like rainbowbex, I find it strange that your GP has given you 6 mths rather than 3 when starting a new pill; I'd have thought they'd want to check blood pressure, side effects etc at that point. Maybe my GP's just a bit fussy when it comes to new meds!
i think he probably gave me 6 months as i've been on the pill before? i mentioned mycrogynon by name when he asked me which one i had been on so maybe i was on it? but then about 5 minutes later ovranette popped into my head and i'm thinking it probably was that one now.
oh well, i'll just go back to the GP if i have any side effects as you've all recommended =]
thankf for the advice.
Reply 6
They are exatly the same - if the doctor wrote the prescription generically i.e not put ovranette on it just the drugs on the prescription the pharmacy will chose to give you one or the other. If you are not happy with this speak to your local pharmacist about any side effects etc of changing or changing it back to ovranette
Reply 7
I started taking Ovranette 2 weeks ago, already Ive put on half a stone no joke, suffering from swollen tender breasts, really bad mood swings of anger and depression, and tummy pains. Has anyone else had these sorts of problems? Will my body ajust and the symptoms settle down or shall I come off the pill all together....:/
I may be mistaken but doing a quick google search, they appear to be the exact same progestin/estrogen combination and dosage....so basically different brand names for the same pill.
I've been on microgynon for 4 years now and I've had no problems with it, and my periods are almost painless! And I don't know anyone else with complaints either :smile:
I must be the only one, I had real problems with Microgynon, weight gain and headaches and anxiety.
Then I got put on Cerazette and that's been good for me :/
Original post by lottie51
I started taking Ovranette 2 weeks ago, already Ive put on half a stone no joke, suffering from swollen tender breasts, really bad mood swings of anger and depression, and tummy pains. Has anyone else had these sorts of problems? Will my body ajust and the symptoms settle down or shall I come off the pill all together....:/

I've been on Ovranette for just over a fortnight now too and I'm getting similar symptoms to you. I started taking it on the first day of my period and I still have a very light period now, 9 days after I would normally finish my period. Plus I've started to experience horrible sort of stabbing stomach pains. Have you found your symptoms have stopped now?
Reply 12
Microgynon is what they give most people to start, so it must be accepted as generally a good one.

Myself however, I had terrible moods on that and my sex drive went right down :/ Switched to Ovysmen(sp?) but that gave me light spotting mid cycle. Finally changed to Celeste(sp?) and had no problems whatsoever with that.
Reply 13
Original post by taylorg292
I've been on Ovranette for just over a fortnight now too and I'm getting similar symptoms to you. I started taking it on the first day of my period and I still have a very light period now, 9 days after I would normally finish my period. Plus I've started to experience horrible sort of stabbing stomach pains. Have you found your symptoms have stopped now?

Nope the mood swings are just as bad, menstrual cycle hasn't been interrupted that much although periods are heavier and more painful which is strange as apparantly it's meant to help that. I think some of the weight was fluid retention though as Ive gone down a few pounds again. I'm going to stick with it for 3 months then if nothing improves and symptoms don't settle down i'll ask to change to a different one. Ovranette must be a more uncommonly prescribed pill, I know of hardly anyone whos been on it before.
Original post by lottie51
Nope the mood swings are just as bad, menstrual cycle hasn't been interrupted that much although periods are heavier and more painful which is strange as apparantly it's meant to help that. I think some of the weight was fluid retention though as Ive gone down a few pounds again. I'm going to stick with it for 3 months then if nothing improves and symptoms don't settle down i'll ask to change to a different one. Ovranette must be a more uncommonly prescribed pill, I know of hardly anyone whos been on it before.

I was looking at the information I got in the packet at the Progesterone levels for Ovranette are something like 135 and about 30 Oestrogen. I'm wondering if the fact the Progesterone levels are so high is what I'm reacting badly too? I've had a very light period for nearly 2 months now, never going on Ovranette again!
Reply 15
Original post by taylorg292
I was looking at the information I got in the packet at the Progesterone levels for Ovranette are something like 135 and about 30 Oestrogen. I'm wondering if the fact the Progesterone levels are so high is what I'm reacting badly too? I've had a very light period for nearly 2 months now, never going on Ovranette again!

Oh dear poor you. Are you going to come off it soon?
I have 3 days left on Ovranette... It has been the worst 3 months of my life, the weight gain, the spots, and horrendous mood swings. I'm no longer in a relationship so wont be pumping any more hormones in my body for a while thank goodness.
When I first went on the pill, I got prescribed Microgyn. I thought it was pretty decent, however the mood swings did get worse. When I went back after those first 3 months, they asked how it was. I said yeah it was doing ok, but they anyway offered this new pill to me - Ovranette. The reason I switched to this pill is purely because they said that if I took Ovranette then I would have my period every 3 months instead of every month. Fell in love with this idea because I absolu hate my periods and couldn't wait to just have 4 per year. One let down of this pill is that it actually has made my period pains worse, and I am in pain days before my period starts, and my flow has gotten heavier. However, it is not that high of a difference between my flows since before and after I started on the pill. So now I'm just about to go back for another 6 month dosage of it. And I personally think that my mood swings have gone down since switching, which is why I am going to stay on Ovranette instead of changing back to Microgyn or changing to a different pill.
Reply 17
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
I must be the only one, I had real problems with Microgynon, weight gain and headaches and anxiety.
Then I got put on Cerazette and that's been good for me :/

Thank God it's not just me! This pill made me unable to leave the house without a nervous breakdown.

Quick Reply

Latest