The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
aren't there more important things in the world to justify?
Reply 121
As someone else said, it's like saying "I'm not racist but I hate Jews" or "I'm atheist but I believe in heaven and hell". You can't be a "vegetarian who eats fish" - you either are a vegetarian or you're not. And you can't claim to be a vegetarian on moral or ethical grounds, because otherwise you wouldn't eat fish. Fish are animals who feel pain the same as cows or chickens. If you just like the taste of fish then admit it don't pretend they are "less sentient" or some other bs.
Reply 122
A vegetarian isn't a vegetarian if they eat fish.
I thought they just didn't eat anything with a face.
Pescetarians are not vegetarians that eat fish.
They have nothing at all to do with being vegetarian - they are eating an animal.
Reply 125
You can't hear a fish's shrieks of pain...........
Reply 126
:laugh:

No argument to counter my point, so I'm getting neg repped?

Grow up children. :rolleyes:
Reply 127
nolongerhearthemusic
You don't have to do either, no, but I don't mind people doing what's practical for them as long as they are doing something. I'm vegetarian but not vegan because it's not practical for me at the moment. I'm okay with that. Some people will be pescatarian but not vegetarian because it's not practical for them to be vegetarian at that time. Some people might eat meat less often. None of it is pointless because it's better than nothing. You can give £10 to charity when you could easily give another £10 and it's still a good thing to do even if you could do more.

I think fish are less capable of emotions like fear, a sense of loss at losing their babies etc., and are less self-aware than mammals. Humans can see certain emotions in mammals that they can't see in fish. It doesn't mean that fish don't suffer, but they probably suffer less.

I can accept that, I know that I would really like to give up eating fish at some point for ethical reasons but at the moment because of lack of money and time I can't really face it because it's really the only thing that has taste in my meals.

I just don't think these people have a right to call themselves vegetarian. I don't have a problem with people who do it but don't make a fuss it's the people who think they are somehow morally above meat eaters when imo they are doing something just as bad.

And I know it's a personal choice. I'm not asking people to justify it to the world, I was asking how they justify it to themselves. If you have a problem with eating animals I don't really see why you would be okay eating fish.
Reply 128
Tefhel
As someone else said, it's like saying "I'm not racist but I hate Jews" or "I'm atheist but I believe in heaven and hell". You can't be a "vegetarian who eats fish" - you either are a vegetarian or you're not. And you can't claim to be a vegetarian on moral or ethical grounds, because otherwise you wouldn't eat fish. Fish are animals who feel pain the same as cows or chickens. If you just like the taste of fish then admit it don't pretend they are "less sentient" or some other bs.

Yeah, this is what annoys me. I eat fish so I would never dare try to preach to someone about the morality of eating animals but some people seem to think they can.
Reply 129
nolongerhearthemusic
I'm a vegetarian but I think fish are much less sentient, self-aware and able to suffer than other animals. I'd rather kill a fish than a cow.

How are they less sentient, they feel and think in the same way many less intelligent mamals do.

Op

Most people i know who are veggies basically say it's because fish aren't as cute WTF stupid stupid excuse.

personally i think if you're going to be veggie you should be vegan because unless you're a vegan you are still contributing to markets which exploit animals.
Reply 130
johnbrown
I can accept that, I know that I would really like to give up eating fish at some point for ethical reasons but at the moment because of lack of money and time I can't really face it because it's really the only thing that has taste in my meals.

I just don't think these people have a right to call themselves vegetarian. I don't have a problem with people who do it but don't make a fuss it's the people who think they are somehow morally above meat eaters when imo they are doing something just as bad.

And I know it's a personal choice. I'm not asking people to justify it to the world, I was asking how they justify it to themselves. If you have a problem with eating animals I don't really see why you would be okay eating fish.

:yep:

A well-rounded, good, point.

This outrage at "having to justify yourself" is unmerited IMO - yes the OP said "how do you justify it", but that shouldn't have to mean pescetarians have to feel that they're lifestyle choices are being called into question. No-one's criticising you for doing it, just pointing out that it's a flawed argument to claim animals are sentient beings so shouldn't be eaten, but it's ok to eat a fish
johnbrown

I never said they can call themselves vegetarians.

As I said, people might be okay with it because they don't think fish are as capable of suffering and feeling the range of emotions such as fear and loss that mammals can. Therefore they make the choice that if they have to eat an animal, they'll eat one that doesn't suffer as much. It's perfectly logical.
nolongerhearthemusic
You don't have to do either, no, but I don't mind people doing what's practical for them as long as they are doing something. I'm vegetarian but not vegan because it's not practical for me at the moment. I'm okay with that. Some people will be pescatarian but not vegetarian because it's not practical for them to be vegetarian at that time. Some people might eat meat less often. None of it is pointless because it's better than nothing. You can give £10 to charity when you could easily give another £10 and it's still a good thing to do even if you could do more.

I think fish are less capable of emotions like fear, a sense of loss at losing their babies etc., and are less self-aware than mammals. Humans can see certain emotions in mammals that they can't see in fish. It doesn't mean that fish don't suffer, but they probably suffer less.

a) HOW DO YOU KNOW?
b) Because fish can't really do a "sad face"... If a person is paralysed so they can't move, they still have emotions.

I don't get this don't-eat-animals-but-fish-are-OK thing. Still, I eat both..
Marsha2112
a) HOW DO YOU KNOW?
b) Because fish can't really do a "sad face"... If a person is paralysed so they can't move, they still have emotions.

I don't get this don't-eat-animals-but-fish-are-OK thing. Still, I eat both..

I don't know for sure. They have smaller brains. I'd rather eat/kill things with smaller brains than larger ones.

& paralysed people aren't a species. Their species is human, so we can assume they are the same as other humans.
Vegetarian: Ancient tribal name for the village idiot who could not hunt, fish, ride or trap!!!
thejonsmith
This makes no sense whatsoever.

It is all or nothing if you're a vegetarian and tell people it's because animals have feelings and emotions. Because if those are your reasons, how can you eat a fish?

The meat eater argument also makes no sense. A meat eater that doesn't eat beef just doesn't like the taste. It's not some warped moral stance where it's not ok to eat animals but it's ok to eat fish, because they don't quite make the cut

to be honest, im not going to argue.
you eat meat, i dont, so what. i dont argue with meat eaters that its wrong, and i dont expect people to argue with me that im wrong. i'll eat what i want (meat or otherwise) and you eat what you want.

i really dont know why people think its necessary to argue with others about their thoughts and ideas!

i think you should just leave us vegetarians/vegans/pescetarians alone :yep:
I turned vegetarian nearly 6 years ago now for health reasons. I do eat fish but very rarely, I'm thinking about not eating altogether because of the way a lot of fish is soured contradicts my views.

I also eat eggs. It really confuses me when non-vegetarians say that vegetarians shouldn't eat eggs. Surely they know that they are unfertilised and therefore not an 'unborn animal'?
Reply 137
Im vegetarian for my own reasons, I dont have a problem with people eating fish and not meat unless they call themselves vegetarian, If I go out and ask for a vegetarian option I dont expect to be served fish, I eat very little dairy (allergic to it) but I would never call myself a vegan because i eat eggs

laura_802
I also eat eggs. It really confuses me when non-vegetarians say that vegetarians shouldn't eat eggs. Surely they know that they are unfertilised and therefore not an 'unborn animal'?

factory farmed eggs are unfertalised, free range often are (depending on if there is a male chicken obviously), i eat free range eggs but take out the little ebryo bit which I think is, fine but then Im not against people eating meat or killing animals if someone is vegetarian for this reason then they probably shouldnt eat free range eggs
Only the weak and women don't eat fish. :bandit:
Reply 139
I have no problem whatsoever with people who choose to eat fish but not other meat. They shouldn't call themselves vegetarian though, as they're not! They shouldn't really have to justify it (unless they're preaching about how ethical they are...), just like vegetarians who aren't vegans shouldn't have to justify themslves. Doing a little is better than doing nothing!

Latest

Trending

Trending