The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
missred93
I am hoping to go into medicine, however i am confused on which university's are the most suitable for my course.

I would really appriciate some suggestions from past experiences/what you've heard ect ect.

Thankss :woo: xx

Um, what?!

The uni's most suited to medicine are any uni's that offer medicine. There are no "bad" med schools. Simples.
There are about 30 medical schools in the UK. Once you rule out ones that you think are too far away/too close/otherwise not suitable then you're left with a shortlist that's easily researchable in an afternoon. Go look up A100 courses on UCAS and get going :smile:
Reply 3
missred93
I am hoping to go into medicine, however i am confused on which university's are the most suitable for my course.

I would really appriciate some suggestions from past experiences/what you've heard ect ect.

Thankss :woo: xx

All unis that do a medicine course teach you more or less the standard stuff. However the unis can teach you the stuff in different ways (eg PBL etc). at the end of the day, you finish the course with a medical degree and that's that. Obviously depending on certain factors you'll have to rule yourself from some unis (eg GCSE grades, UKCAT, A-level predictions etc.) If you want more help, post what your grades are so that we can scrutinise you :yep:
Reply 4
There are about 30 medicine courses, which ones you want to apply to will depend on where you live, what grades you have and whether you like the ethos of that uni. The top link in my signature has a list of courses.
Reply 5
krisblade
Um, what?!

The uni's most suited to medicine are any uni's that offer medicine. There are no "bad" med schools. Simples.

If there are no bad medical schools, do you think there can be any good ones? After all, good and bad are relative terms.
As far as I'm aware the most recent official list is as follows:

Good medical schools: GKT

Bad ones: 29 unmentionable institutions

:p:
Reply 7
Past experience: I went to a university that offered medicine
Others' experiences: I know people who have been to universities that offered medicine
Reply 8
Phalanges
If there are no bad medical schools, do you think there can be any good ones? After all, good and bad are relative terms.

One could mean relative to other groups e.g. university courses as a whole.
Reply 9
Phalanges

It was more in a way that the OP's wording was strange. For some courses, some unis are more "suited", for example not all chemical engineering courses are properly certified, so the unis that offer cerftified courses or whatever will be more "suited". (I use this as an example as I remember a friend applying and saying not all courses are properly regulated for her course). In medicine, any university that is allowed to offer it is suited, all courses must be of a high standard, there are no uncertified medical degrees.
Yeah, but why are you asking TSR when you could be doing 'real' research

Btw Manchester's totally the best one (despite its apparent failings and course changes :biggrin: )
krisblade
It was more in a way that the OP's wording was strange. For some courses, some unis are more "suited", for example not all chemical engineering courses are properly certified, so the unis that offer cerftified courses or whatever will be more "suited". (I use this as an example as I remember a friend applying and saying not all courses are properly regulated for her course). In medicine, any university that is allowed to offer it is suited, all courses must be of a high standard, there are no uncertified medical degrees.

It wasn't a criticism, I was just curious about what you thought. :p:
Reply 12
Phalanges

In regards to med schools being good, I guess they all are, you couldn't say they weren't all at least good to some degree. I guess how good depends on your own personal preferences and how the uni meets up to this :dontknow:
krisblade
In regards to med schools being good, I guess they all are, you couldn't say they weren't all at least good to some degree. I guess how good depends on your own personal preferences and how the uni meets up to this :dontknow:

Personally, I would say there's two ways to look at it. Firstly there's the condition that, as nexttime says, medical schools are all good relative to other courses. That's important because none of them are bad academics-wise, as you say. It's not like comparing Bolton and Cambridge for law.

However, within the subset of medical schools I would then say that there are bad ones and good ones, relative to each other. Obviously each list is going to be highly subjective though. :p:
Depends how you like to learn. Prefer to be spoon-fed to start off with? Go to a traditional course like St Andrews. Prefer to have a scenario to read up about in your own time and discuss? Head to Glasgow for some PBL funtimes. Like a bit of both? Go somewhere like HYMS.

It's really your call. I used three criteria when deciding where to apply:
1) Am I eligible?
2) Whats the course like?
3) Whats the place like...can I live there?

...which ended with me starting doctor training in Warwick, where they assess people in the most ridiculous ways and the campus has nothing going for it. Hmm...maybe dont take my advice :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Phalanges
ahhh. probably he fort, 'ahhh....why is this luvvly macca asking me sush a dumbass question?'
Reply 16
It completely depends on the metric you use to measure them. I don't think it's true that all medical schools are equivalent. The simple fact that they are all GMC-certified just means that they meet a (demanding) minimum standard. For example, students graduating from certain medical schools consistently do better on Royal College membership exams. That would be one reasonably objective measure. Not to say that it is possible to quantify exactly what makes a good doctor, but that doesn't mean all schools are the same.
Reply 17
schools are made of up of many component staff and course units that suit you better or worse.

if you choose a one that satisfies what you want and need out of these course components best, then you will do better in the exams and units that you thus enjoy more.

thus you will be better off than trying to work out wat uni has the best marks.
Reply 18
Ucas!
universities Dammit

Latest

Trending

Trending