The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Jangrafess
Just had a look - there's no option to have the ad removed from the PM. :rofl2: Oh well. Maybe you should get over to CWI.

cwi can **** itself up the ******* **** with a ******* **** **** ****
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
generic hybrid
cwi can **** itself up the ******* **** with a ******* **** **** ****

good plan.

I've just said this to the admin I live with and he agrees with me and will get on it ~~~in the FuTuRe~~~
Jangrafess
good plan.

I've just said this to the admin I live with and he agrees with me and will get on it ~~~in the FuTuRe~~~

yay hooray

together we have made a difference

is your living situation sorted out then?
generic hybrid
yay hooray

together we have made a difference

is your living situation sorted out then?

nope, I'm living on his sofa temporarily. still looking for a new place, calloo callay. are you doing/have you done anything for your birthday and if so how will it be/how was it? (delete as applicable)
Mithra
Ooh, working in the physics dept? :coma:

What're you doing? :smile:

carbon nanotubes!!!! :awesome:
modelling aberrations and their affect on magnetic, electric and structural properties :h:
Reply 1585
PhysicsPenguin
carbon nanotubes!!!! :awesome:
modelling aberrations and their affect on magnetic, electric and structural properties :h:

Awesomes :ahee:. Working with any of the lecturers? :smile:

Although, material physics :puke:.
Mithra
Awesomes :ahee:. Working with any of the lecturers? :smile:

Although, material physics :puke:.

mm tis more nanotechnology :biggrin:
Jangrafess
nope, I'm living on his sofa temporarily. still looking for a new place, calloo callay. are you doing/have you done anything for your birthday and if so how will it be/how was it? (delete as applicable)

went to lunch with friends and dinner with parents. overall it's been a good day, nice and chilled out. should probably be doing some more packing now, though, which is less fun :colonhash:

lol your house issues are ridiculous. obviously you've pissed off the god of crazy landlords or something. hope you find somewhere non-awful to live soon though.
generic hybrid
went to lunch with friends and dinner with parents. overall it's been a good day, nice and chilled out. should probably be doing some more packing now, though, which is less fun :colonhash:

lol your house issues are ridiculous. obviously you've pissed off the god of crazy landlords or something. hope you find somewhere non-awful to live soon though.

are you going to amuurrrika again for a bit or something? glad it was a good day. :wavingtheflag:

yeah I know, **** my life, I feel that for the first time I can say that completely legitimately. :unimpressed:
Jangrafess
are you going to amuurrrika again for a bit or something? glad it was a good day. :wavingtheflag:

yeah I know, **** my life, I feel that for the first time I can say that completely legitimately. :unimpressed:

oh hell no

**** my life is a legitimate statement in your case, i think. me bruv is moving to brighton for uni in a few months so i'd try to force you to live together in a comical sitcom setup but that's probably too late.
Jangrafess
good plan.

Which admin? I'll be particularly interested to know if it's "s", and how on earth admin are comfortable with shamelessly advertising certain companies yet getting moderators to warn members for advertising. A bit hypocritical? I'm referring specifically to his stickied thread in GUD.

Even worse are the "official representatives" they now have. We had reps for universities during clearing last year, which was fine, but now we have ones for ICS learning (who don't give advice to students, just go around advertising their company and telling students to study with them*) and the reps for student accomodation companies who just spam up the forums with their promotion.

*Not only that, but ICS are very dodgy and I'm often hearing complaints about them. So not only are Acumen happy with them advertising everywhere, but it also reflects badly on Acumen themselves when the companies are crap.

******* disgrace. Proved to be the final straw in the end. There's no way I'd feel comfortable warning someone for advertising with that nonsense going on (and spamming up my forums).
River85
Which admin? I'll be particularly interested to know if it's "s", and how on earth admin are comfortable with shamelessly advertising certain companies yet getting moderators to warn members for advertising. A bit hypocritical? I'm referring specifically to his stickied thread in GUD.

Even worse are the "official representatives" they now have. We had reps for universities during clearing last year, which was fine, but now we have ones for ICS learning (who don't give advice to students, just go around advertising their company and telling students to study with them*) and the reps for student accomodation companies who just spam up the forums with their promotion.

*Not only that, but ICS are very dodgy and I'm often hearing complaints about them. So not only are Acumen happy with them advertising everywhere, but it also reflects badly on Acumen themselves when the companies are crap.

******* disgrace. Proved to be the final straw in the end. There's no way I'd feel comfortable warning someone for advertising with that nonsense going on (and spamming up my forums).

Because they pay for the ad space...
Jangrafess
Because they pay for the ad space...

I can accept banners and the usual ads (whiich subs can block) but not threads which only take up space on the forums which should be used for something a lot more constructive. I can think of a number of topics which are far more worthy of having stickied threads that this: -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1274976

It's almost deception, pretending the thread is something other than shamless advertising. Or having official representatives (the suggestion being that they are giving advice to students) when all they're doing is presenting very biased promotion for their company and don't respond to those who criticse the company. Why ICS? Why not the Open Uni who are far more credible?

Anyway, didn't mean to bring this into the thread. Might make an About TSR thread if I can be arsed. Not that admin will give a damn even though they've lost at least three excellent moderators over recent months for reasons similar to this.
It's not S I'm living with btw (CJ) and I know **** all about the advertising side of the site.
Jangrafess
It's not S I'm living with btw (CJ) and I know **** all about the advertising side of the site.

I like CJ, say hello from me!

I appreciate that. I didn't mean to rant at you. Just wanted to say that for a few weeks now. I did report that IQ (or whatever they're called) rep, after he spammed the university forums with the same thread, so hopefully he was spoken to....
River85
I like CJ, say hello from me!

I appreciate that. I didn't mean to rant at you. Just wanted to say that for a few weeks now. I did report that IQ (or whatever they're called) rep, after he spammed the university forums with the same thread, so hopefully he was spoken to....

He says hi back! We're playing Pro Evo.

I have a feeling I heard something about that... he was talked to.
Reply 1596
Brighton is amazing.

You must all go and eat at Sushi Garden on Preston Street :love:
Jangrafess
He says hi back! We're playing Pro Evo.

Pro Evo? :holmes: Good luck. I'm only going to have bloody FIFA come October. Unless t'new housemate has Pro Evo....

FIFA is gaaaaay.

I have a feeling I heard something about that... he was talked to.

Hmmm....it was about a week or two after I stepped down. If I had still been a mod I'd have warned him :p: That reminds me, a few months ago I did ban a representative for advertising (didn't know who he was a rep at the time :o: )

In other news, back in Durham soon :cool: Although I'd much rather still be in London tbh.
i have done absolutely no packing yet. decided instead to lie around listening to janelle monae and think about building a large-ish shrine to her in my room, or possibly in the cathedral
Reply 1599
generic hybrid
i have done absolutely no packing yet. decided instead to lie around listening to janelle monae and think about building a large-ish shrine to her in my room, or possibly in the cathedral

I've not done much either. I LOATHE packing.

Quick Reply

Latest