The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
xsweetcherrypiex
a piano?
Yes it's a weird question :rolleyes: but piano is my passion and I couldn't go 5 days a week without playing so I want to apply to a college that has a piano.
Any ideas which ones (if any) do??

Erm, I know Hilda's has five pianos plus a grand piano in the JDP, but I suspect most colleges will have a piano somewhere. Have you checked the college websites?
Reply 2
Lady Margaret Hall if I remember my visit properly.
hobnob
Erm, I know Hilda's has five pianos plus a grand piano in the JDP, but I suspect most colleges will have a piano somewhere. Have you checked the college websites?

Ooh okay thankyou!! No i haven't; there are so many colleges and I'm not sure whether that kind of search would obtain many results?
Thanks for your help though!! :biggrin:
sango
Lady Margaret Hall if I remember my visit properly.

Ah thankyou very much! :biggrin:
Mansfield has one in the chapel - I think you have to be above a certain grade to get permission, but we also have lunchtime recitals if that's your thing :smile:
I think most colleges have access to a piano somewhere on the premises, though the standard can be variable. I think you can also use the Music Faculty's practice rooms if you join OUMS.
chipper1990
you probably wont get in anyway so it doesnt matter

What an educated response to make. On what basis do you make this assumption? You do not know anything about me so please kindly take your worthless comments elsewhere.:rolleyes:
Huw Davies
I think most colleges have access to a piano somewhere on the premises, though the standard can be variable. I think you can also use the Music Faculty's practice rooms if you join OUMS.

Thankyou for your reply! This is one less thing to worry about then! :biggrin:
Trimethylxanthine
Mansfield has one in the chapel - I think you have to be above a certain grade to get permission, but we also have lunchtime recitals if that's your thing :smile:

Ah okay. I would ideally have liked a piano to just play in the evenings but i've done all the grades so it should be good!!! Thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'm pretty sure all of the colleges would have a piano or two around. I know that both Wadham and Hertford have practice rooms.

Why not look for a college with a good reputation for music, perhaps their facilities would be better. When you've narrowed down your choice, you could phone the colleges and ask what's available for practice, etc.
Reply 11
xsweetcherrypiex
What an educated response to make. On what basis do you make this assumption? You do not know anything about me so please kindly take your worthless comments elsewhere.:rolleyes:

I'm going to hazard a guess that it was on the basis that about three quarters of the people who apply don't get in. So if we're asked to guess then it's more likely that you won't get in :p:

As others have said, I'm 99% positive that every single college has a piano. Colleges I can definitely vouch for:
Jesus
Exeter
Lincoln
Teddy Hall (although it's not awesome)
Magdalen
LMH
Merton
Univ
Oriel
New College has lots of good pianos. :smile: I'm pretty certain all colleges will have at least one, though.
Reply 13
Just another suggestion, have a look at this http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/scholarships/repetiteur.html
Basically it's a scholarship offered by st catz. And I think it is safe to assume that any successful candidate will have a piano in his or her own room. About this I have no evidence but please have a look at the following reasonings:

Another kind of music-related scholarship is choral scholarship, which hold an audition in late September. Most of the colleges that offer choral scholarship will have pianos installed in the rooms of choral scholars. And I see no reason why the college shouldn't do it for a repetiteur scholar.

I'm less certain about instrumental scholarships whose auditions happen after the term starts, when you will have already been assigned a room.

Also, if you could do singing, I'd strongly advise you to apply for choral scholarship. With good abilities of sight reading you can easily get an offer. Competition varies from college to college, but for most of them, it is not that difficult to survive, because they make many more offers than places available, as not every who apply for a scholarship will eventually get an academic offer. If you enter Oxford will a choral scholarship next year, you'll have a piano in your room and a scholar gown, which is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Hope this helps.
phenix0930
Just another suggestion, have a look at this http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/scholarships/repetiteur.html
Basically it's a scholarship offered by st catz. And I think it is safe to assume that any successful candidate will have a piano in his or her own room. About this I have no evidence but please have a look at the following reasonings:

Another kind of music-related scholarship is choral scholarship, which hold an audition in late September. Most of the colleges that offer choral scholarship will have pianos installed in the rooms of choral scholars. And I see no reason why the college shouldn't do it for a repetiteur scholar.

I'm less certain about instrumental scholarships whose auditions happen after the term starts, when you will have already been assigned a room.

Also, if you could do singing, I'd strongly advise you to apply for choral scholarship. With good abilities of sight reading you can easily get an offer. Competition varies from college to college, but for most of them, it is not that difficult to survive, because they make many more offers than places available, as not every who apply for a scholarship will eventually get an academic offer. If you enter Oxford will a choral scholarship next year, you'll have a piano in your room and a scholar gown, which is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Hope this helps.

Wow thankyou that was SO useful!! :hug:
I have never seen that before. However, I have only done Grade 8 on flute and piano, not doing diploma or anything, do you reckon I would even have a chance at any of the scholarships?
Reply 15
Well, tbh, I know next to nothing about the repetiteur scholarship. I've never personally known anyone who have applied, let alone getting an offer. But I think the competition would be fierce as st catz is the only college that offers this (at least according to the website!) and therefore the number of places available must be very limited. You'll probably have to excel at piano to get an offer.

As to the choral thing, from my own experience, it is not difficult to get an offer even if you haven't been properly trained for singing. You have grade 8s in two instruments, that is amazing! And your sight reading must be good. The choral audition is ALL about sightsinging. If you are singing in your school choir, and you're confident with your sightsinging, you will have a good shot applying for this. The audition takes place on the 20th or around of Semptember and you will know whether they will be offering you or not immediately afterwards, which will leave you plenty of time to make up your mind before submitting your UCAS application. The choral foundation colleges, i.e. Christ Church, Madgalen and New are generally the most sought after and therefore the most difficult ones, and in the second group are Queen's, Exeter, Merton and Worcester, which have got a better reputation than others and a bit more difficult to get in than other average colleges.
As to qualifications like diplomas or other things, they simply do not matter! There are not many applicants each year, so they can audition all those who have applied. And when it comes to an audition, it's your performance that matters! They want people who could do real things, rather than simply showing off their qualifications. If you wish to have a go, just do it, and there's nothing to loose.
phenix0930
Well, tbh, I know next to nothing about the repetiteur scholarship. I've never personally known anyone who have applied, let alone getting an offer. But I think the competition would be fierce as st catz is the only college that offers this (at least according to the website!) and therefore the number of places available must be very limited. You'll probably have to excel at piano to get an offer.

As to the choral thing, from my own experience, it is not difficult to get an offer even if you haven't been properly trained for singing. You have grade 8s in two instruments, that is amazing! And your sight reading must be good. The choral audition is ALL about sightsinging. If you are singing in your school choir, and you're confident with your sightsinging, you will have a good shot applying for this. The audition takes place on the 20th or around of Semptember and you will know whether they will be offering you or not immediately afterwards, which will leave you plenty of time to make up your mind before submitting your UCAS application. The choral foundation colleges, i.e. Christ Church, Madgalen and New are generally the most sought after and therefore the most difficult ones, and in the second group are Queen's, Exeter, Merton and Worcester, which have got a better reputation than others and a bit more difficult to get in than other average colleges.
As to qualifications like diplomas or other things, they simply do not matter! There are not many applicants each year, so they can audition all those who have applied. And when it comes to an audition, it's your performance that matters! They want people who could do real things, rather than simply showing off their qualifications. If you wish to have a go, just do it, and there's nothing to loose.

Wow SO much useful information! Thankyou so much! Positive rep coming your way :wink:
Reply 17
Hah! My pleasure:p:
Reply 18
xsweetcherrypiex
Wow thankyou that was SO useful!! :hug:
I have never seen that before. However, I have only done Grade 8 on flute and piano, not doing diploma or anything, do you reckon I would even have a chance at any of the scholarships?

Hi! As others have said, those grades are fantastic and you have a great chance of a scholarship. I've got a offer with choral scholarship from Magdalen and have no singing grades (although I have been singign in choirs for ten years), and my last grades in instruments were piano Grade V in 2006 and violin Grade III in 2004 - so you definitely won't be disadvantaged. As another poster said, sightreading ability is the key, particularly for the larger choirs.

Hope this helps!
EdmundB
Hi! As others have said, those grades are fantastic and you have a great chance of a scholarship. I've got a offer with choral scholarship from Magdalen and have no singing grades (although I have been singign in choirs for ten years), and my last grades in instruments were piano Grade V in 2006 and violin Grade III in 2004 - so you definitely won't be disadvantaged. As another poster said, sightreading ability is the key, particularly for the larger choirs.

Hope this helps!

aha thankyou :smile: I can't sing AT ALL though!!! I've almost failed all 16 aurals XD :woo: :eek3:
Hopefully I'll be able to get something through my instrumental abilities? (whatever little there is :yep: )

Latest

Trending

Trending