The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
InnocentLiar
You are at university. For the majority of people that is proof enough that you are not a complete idiot.

People can get into some universities/courses with like 150 UCAS points. For some other people, getting AAA is often the bare minimum for them to even be considered.

InnocentLiar
A lot of my assesments at uni rely more on the errors I make than what I get right, but that is a judge of the kind of student that you are. If you are good enough to not make the mistakes that your coursemates undoubtedly do, then surely it is proof you are a strong student.

If you're worried about how you're being assessed compared to more 'prestigious' institutions, maybe you need to consider why you didn't choose one of them, if you did, why you didn't make it, and whether you can move to one of them for a masters program to confirm how "awesometastic" a student you are.

OP, I would not advise planning to stick with your university and do a master's afterwards. There are so many factors that play in deciding to do an MA and doing it solely to boost career prospects or for the 'prestige' of it is something you shouldn't do. For all you know you might not want to study again after all when your 3 undergrad years are done.

Transfering to a better institution is one option, dropping out and reapplying is another. For the latter I guess it depends how good your A-levels are. I have no idea what your chances are of transfering to a university like Sheffield or Bristol though.

Remember there is no central body that dictates how universities should work and decide upon their assessment methods and course content. Many universities will have different procedures from each other. Go ahead and criticise me because I am only doing one UG course and thus not experiencing other universities, but honestly is a course requiring it's applicants to get 160 UCAS points going to be harder than one requiring people get AAA?
Reply 21
hypocriticaljap
OP

A - You are an arrogant git
B - Proper universities have higher standards I can assure you having seen work from Sheff Hallam and compared it to Durham.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

hypocritical would be your middle name if it werent already your TSR username.
Reply 22
Kerny
People can get into some universities/courses with like 150 UCAS points. For some other people, getting AAA is often the bare minimum for them to even be considered.

OP, I would not advise planning to stick with your university and do a master's afterwards. There are so many factors that play in deciding to do an MA and doing it solely to boost career prospects or for the 'prestige' of it is something you shouldn't do. For all you know you might not want to study again after all when your 3 undergrad years are done.

Transfering to a better institution is one option, dropping out and reapplying is another. For the latter I guess it depends how good your A-levels are. I have no idea what your chances are of transfering to a university like Sheffield or Bristol though.

Remember there is no central body that dictates how universities should work and decide upon their assessment methods and course content. Many universities will have different procedures from each other. Go ahead and criticise me because I am only doing one UG course and thus not experiencing other universities, but honestly is a course requiring it's applicants to get 160 UCAS points going to be harder than one requiring people get AAA?

To be fair though, you do have to consider the popularity of the subject, not just it's 'difficulty'. Sociology is seen by many as an easy subject, but Lancaster University's average UCAS tariff for Sociology last year was 360 (AAA).
Reply 23
YogiSAFC
To be fair though, you do have to consider the popularity of the subject, not just it's 'difficulty'. Sociology is seen by many as an easy subject, but Lancaster University's average UCAS tariff for Sociology last year was 360 (AAA).

Competition does play a part but the more 'respected' (and traditionally more difficult) courses have higher entry standards.

Also note that the UCAS tarrifs also take AS levels into account, so 360 points is certainly not going to be around AAA. For AAA I'd say you are looking around 440-450 points (though that's a bit of a guess).
Reply 24
ChemistBoy
He's doing computing and posted this same question in Feb pretty much.

Oh right, then yeah, it's not surprising he got a really high mark in something.

Don't see the problem OP
Kerny
Competition does play a part but the more 'respected' (and traditionally more difficult) courses have higher entry standards.

Eh? Surely that is down to popularity within subject group? Universities want to make sure they balance the need to get bums on seats with the desire to have easier to teach students who are less likely to fail.
Reply 26
Kerny

Also note that the UCAS tarrifs also take AS levels into account, so 360 points is certainly not going to be around AAA. For AAA I'd say you are looking around 440-450 points (though that's a bit of a guess).

Dear God. I honestly have no idea how people achieve such insanely high grades.

As for the 360 points, I just used http://www.unistats.com not sure precisely how it works, just gives an average UCAS tariff
Reply 27
Quite right too - maybe these unis that used to be polytechnics should be returned to that state, so everyone realises they aren't "proper" unis?:wink: :wink:

Oh and maybe they should ban ***** like madonna studies, etc......:yep:
Reply 28
Coursework and exam scripts are marked by the lecturer running the module, but there is also a process of second and external marking. Your results also need to be seen in the context of your subject; it is generally easier to score marks about 80 in Science / Technology courses rather than Arts and Humanities. If you wish to transfer, you could try contacting some departments to see if they are willing to accept you, but there are no guarantees.
Reply 29
Were you doing maths by any chance?
Reply 30
Pridethunder
Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to read and possibly reply.

My situation is this: I'm getting awesome grades, firsts with a few upper second's, but I'm not convinced that the First and Upper Second's really reflect on me being an awesometastic student. Frankly, I think they were far too easy and that the marking scheme for my exams and courseworks was of way too low a standard.

One of my courseworks was graded in such a way that I received 90% for just "ticking the right boxes". The entire thing was made so that I wasn't being graded on how good a student I was, but rather how many failures I didn't make.

I'm studying at the University of Glamorgan which is hardly prestigious, and I'm wondering if this can possibly be the same way they do it in the high-flyers like Bristol, Cambridge, Warwick or Sheffield.

I want my grades to be some serious proof of intelligence rather than proof of not being pants-on-head retarded. Can anyone confirm or deny that the same general marking scheme is being used for other, more challenging universities, where some or most courseworks are given high marks for simply not being stupid?

I hope I haven't made this too confusing to read. Thanks for your time reading it through. :yep:

You should be concerned. The standard of marking does seem low. But then you're not going to a proper university are you? Its an ex-ploy after all! The dumber the institution and simpler the marking scheme. Keep quiet if I were you. Mums the word!:cool:
OP, are you a first year by any chance?
bluesmurf
Coursework and exam scripts are marked by the lecturer running the module

Not always true. I have a programming module with 133 students; to have the lecturer mark 133 exam scripts is just unreasonable, given that he's also a researcher. I know of a course with over 800 students on it too.

but there is also a process of second and external marking.

Not always true either. It's not always viable to do this, due to time, financial and HR constraints.

Your results also need to be seen in the context of your subject; it is generally easier to score marks about 80 in Science / Technology courses rather than Arts and Humanities.

Well, that's a massive generalisation, but on the same note, seems to go against the 'sciences being real degrees' generalisation. So really, would you care to elaborate on this? As an example, although granted it's not degree-level, I got A*s on all my English/Artsy courseworks through high school, but had to revise the technical content for the sciences at GCSE and A-Level.

If you wish to transfer, you could try contacting some departments to see if they are willing to accept you, but there are no guarantees.

OP, if you're really not happy, then speak to your personal tutor about it, or perhaps even better, your course/school rep, who can pass it through the education network in your SU.

It really depends what you're at university for. If you're there for the social life and to go on to become a researcher, then I don't think you'd benefit hugely from changing university. If you're there for the career prospects, then it might be something to consider, but equally, it depends what sort of job you want too. A Masters isn't a quick fix solution to make up for a less-respected undergraduate degree, or for a poor classification/transcript, and depending how much funding you get, it can cost you a lot of money.

It's worth bearing in mind that, especially in the sciences, first year is a lot of bringing people up to the same standard. I took Computing and Further Maths at A-Level, but not every college offers them, so universities go through the core elements of these again in first year, and so you might find work rather straight-forward, whilst others, regardless of their intelligence, are having to learn it from the beginning, and at an older age.

Your best bet I'd say is to speak to your personal tutor.

Latest

Trending

Trending