The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Niccolo
On their website durham actively boast of rejecting people who are then accepted by Cambridge and Oxford. I suppose it is to make themselves appear to be an attractive, exclusive proposition, in some weird, sick kind of way. And I don't ever want to hear anything about 'Doxbridge' again. Arrogant pseudo-geordie bastards.

It's to protect themselves. If you accept lots of oxbridge goers, then you'll end up with a massive...hole. That's the only reason I can think. And it makes sense.
Camford
It used to be the case that universities can see your other choices. But that is no longer the case. So, I can't see how your chances will be reduced.

"people" just can't keep their mouths shut, can they? :p:

Yeh i so agree. Ive heard it all in terms of oxbridge rumours so im just going to ingore all the 'advice' and apply where i want to go. I dont see the point of trying to cheat the system when it might result in ending up at a uni or course that you don't really want to be at, but you applied because you heard it was easier to get in etc etc
I applied on deadline day (or maybe the day before), and got all 6 offers. My offers also came quite early - Cambridge being the last to make a decision. By early November I had offers from Leeds and Liverpool, in mid-November, Durham (Hatfield) gave me an offer (much to the annoyance of the boy from Leeds who looked down on me for my High-School-ness at my Cambridge interview who had no offer and told me 'they don't do offers until March') and in early December York and Edinburgh replied.

There may be something behind it in some cases. Rhian is one I know of who applied to Bristol with almost perfect grades and was rejected - she was told, I believe, that her rejection was down to her grades not being good enough (she had 1 A at GCSE in a subject that was not relevant to her course). Thing is there, they would never admit it, 'cuz it'd cause them a lot of problems, so if they are rejecting people purely because they expect them to be Oxbridge applicants, they can't do it really obviously.

As for the person who was accepted at Oxford but not at any of their other choices - maybe they were just better at interview than they were on paper?
Reply 23
I think a lot of it depends on the course you want to apply for as well; with a fairly undersubscribed course, if you shine as a good candidate they'll take you. When I re-applied to Cam and the 5 other places I applied to the year before, I don't think they even noticed I had applied the year before and second time round every place accepted me, despite warnings from the school.

Sure, a lot of people will turn down offers to accept an Oxbridge place, but even if they know you're applying there due to an early application, its hit and miss whether Oxbridge will accept you in the first place and the other unis will bear that in mind. At the end of the day, everyone wants the best people for their course; to turn away a great just because Oxbridge might get them doesn't make any sense to other unis
Charlottie
I applied on deadline day (or maybe the day before), and got all 6 offers. My offers also came quite early - Cambridge being the last to make a decision. By early November I had offers from Leeds and Liverpool, in mid-November, Durham (Hatfield) gave me an offer (much to the annoyance of the boy from Leeds who looked down on me for my High-School-ness at my Cambridge interview who had no offer and told me 'they don't do offers until March') and in early December York and Edinburgh replied.

There may be something behind it in some cases. Rhian is one I know of who applied to Bristol with almost perfect grades and was rejected - she was told, I believe, that her rejection was down to her grades not being good enough (she had 1 A at GCSE in a subject that was not relevant to her course). Thing is there, they would never admit it, 'cuz it'd cause them a lot of problems, so if they are rejecting people purely because they expect them to be Oxbridge applicants, they can't do it really obviously.

As for the person who was accepted at Oxford but not at any of their other choices - maybe they were just better at interview than they were on paper?

Yeah. I don't like Bristol Grrr.
Reply 25
I've also heard that Bristol is a bad nut, as it were.

But honestly, how do these universities know where you 'really' want to go? I'm applying to Cambridge, but also applying to Norwich school of art and design, and my mother is trying to make me swear not to choose Norwich if I get offers from both, because I'm so keen in Norwich. Universities trying to second-guess students too much can't be good for 'the system' in general.
Reply 26
Mata

But honestly, how do these universities know where you 'really' want to go? I'm applying to Cambridge, but also applying to Norwich school of art and design, and my mother is trying to make me swear not to choose Norwich if I get offers from both, because I'm so keen in Norwich. Universities trying to second-guess students too much can't be good for 'the system' in general.

My mum used to be an admissions tutor for a Scottish Uni (as well as being a lecturer) in the days that they could see what your choices were. There was certainly a policy of rejecting people that were going to get into "better" Unis or better courses (a lot of people applied to her Biochemistry course in the remaining two places of their medical application).
durham suck! they didnt make me an offer the fools! well anyway, im at camb now so im glad i played darts with the durham rejection letter! that was fun
Reply 28
adampogonowski
durham suck! they didnt make me an offer the fools! well anyway, im at camb now so im glad i played darts with the durham rejection letter! that was fun

Lol. You don't have to be so bitter about it.
I've heard these rumours as well and there may be some turth in them, but as others have said, universities want the best students they can get and since there are no guarantees as far as Oxbridge is concerned, they can't afford to reject too many good applicants just because they're bitter at not being the best! I'd still send in your application ASAP though- so much less hassle- and apply wherever you want. I'll certainly still be applying to Durham, and if they choose to reject me just becuase I've applied to Cambridge even though I'm very unlikely to get an offer, that's their problem! :p:
Reply 30
tanusha-tomsk
Hey! :smile:

Sorry if this thread annoys someone :redface:
I got AABB in AS, including a B in economics which i want to study. I am determined to apply, but lots of people in my school say it will reduce my chances in other universities! That if the appl.form comes in before 15th ocober they'll suspect you are going Oxbridge and it is what you REALLY want, where as their uni is just something to fill in the empty space. How much truth is there?? :confused: People who got a Cam offer, did you get many other offers? (And what do you think about my chances with AABB, i'm doing resits)

Thanx for reading this, any help would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

I got 6 offers, including Cambridge and Durham, for natural sciences at both of those.

I also got AABB in my AS levels, so go for it! With a few resists and more revision for A2s I managed to get AAAA for A level and meet my Cambridge offer :smile:
wow. haha.
Mata

I know what you mean, I am really keen on Bath, i love absolutely everything about it, and the only aspect where Cambridge is ahead of it - is a worldwide reputation. It would be a difficult choice if i got in both of them! My mum is trying to "make me understand" that Cam is better blah blah blah..
mr_shoe_uk
I got 6 offers, including Cambridge and Durham, for natural sciences at both of those.

I also got AABB in my AS levels, so go for it! With a few resists and more revision for A2s I managed to get AAAA for A level and meet my Cambridge offer :smile:

Wow, well done! Thats very encouraging for people like me :smile: Thanks!
Reply 34
Having got rejected by four universities one year (Oxford, Exeter, Warwick, York but getting in Manchester ABB and Essex 300 points) and then rejected by one (LSE but unconditionals from York - having rejected me previously, Cambridge, SOAS, Durham, Bristol) I think theres also a lot of randomness in the system. At the end of the day the same people who apply for Cambridge are the samepeople who apply for Durham, LSE, Bristol etc etc. There is a degree of randomness into getting into Oxbridge as we all know therefore there is no reason why there isn't a degree of randomness for other universities, even if this randomness is a different type of randomness! (if that makes any sense at all)

Also Oxbridge managed to reject thousands of well qualified people this year, other top universities are going to have no idea, except in some cases, who is going to get admitted to cam & ox and who is going to get rejected, therefore it is well worth them making offers as otherwise they will miss out on students who are extremely talented but didnt quite make Oxbridge
tanusha-tomsk
I know what you mean, I am really keen on Bath, i love absolutely everything about it, and the only aspect where Cambridge is ahead of it - is a worldwide reputation. It would be a difficult choice if i got in both of them! My mum is trying to "make me understand" that Cam is better blah blah blah..

I sent my UCAS form on the 14th of october and i got 5 offers from cam, warwick, nottingham, leeds and mancehster but i got rejected from bath... i'll let u make ur own conclusions if any can be made... :rolleyes:
Reply 36
There's loads of anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's true, I'm sure she won't mind me saying that Ambellina got rejected from Bristol this year and when she asked why they said because her grades weren't high enough. She couldn't -have- higher grades.

However, even if they rumours -did- have a ring of truth in them they're not worth taking account of. When there's a choice of completely altering your applications based on a sketchy rumour, or sticking with what you want and having faith in "The System" then I'd definitately go with the latter, as would everybody else with any sense.

Edit: And on the other hand the anecdotes could simply be wrong. I got rejected by UCL, but it absolutely wasn't becuase of any foul play. I went and did a test for them that included logic questions. I only finished 5/8 and got 2 of those wrong. Oh dear.
Reply 37
I don't think putting Oxbridge as one of your six choices has a huge effect on your offers. However, you do need to put in a large amount of consideration regards your firm and second choices.

There are a few institutions who do not like to be put as a second choice behind Oxbridge. If you do this and do not make the grade to get into your Oxbridge first choice, the likelyhood of being accepted by your second choice can be reduced if you pick the wrong institution... they don't want the Oxbridge rejects.
Reply 38
I don't see why we can't apply to Oxbridge before October 15th, and then apply to everywhere else at the 'general' date. I mean, it just means that you click a few more buttons on UCAS, and forms go out at different times.

Medicine/Vets etc wouldn't have to change.

It'd be worth it if it made everyone certain that their applications were being treated in a fair and unbiased way.
Reply 39
If you meet their offer and not your firm offer then they HAVE to take you. They might not give you accommodation and so on, but I'm sure you'd be in exactly the same situation as any other person taking up an insurance offer for that institution.

Latest

Trending

Trending