The Student Room Group

Law at uni UK - UCL, KCL, LSE, Bath, Exeter

Hiya...
Im currently a year 11 student who is about to sit his gcses in a couple months....
For uni, I'd like to study law and my top 5 unis at the moment are:
UCL, KCL, LSE, Bath and Exeter

I think that in my gcses i will probably get 7s and 8s (five 7s and five 8s) and i looked at the requirement a level grades for law at these unis and to my knowledge, i need A*, A, A which i believe i can achieve.

Im wondering if I do get those grades at a level and if my lnat score is good, do you think i'd get into any of my unis of choice? I'm only asking since I know these unis are quite competitive and I worried that 7s and 8s wont be good enough...
Reply 1
your GCSEs are good for UCL, KCL, and Exeter. Bath doesn't do Law. LSE are really weird about GCSEs so there is a chance your GCSEs won't be good enough for them, but if you're a contextual applicant, you have a good chance with LSE. so long as your LNAT is good, and your personal statement too, you have a very good shot at most of these universities with those GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by MAKER11
your GCSEs are good for UCL, KCL, and Exeter. Bath doesn't do Law. LSE are really weird about GCSEs so there is a chance your GCSEs won't be good enough for them, but if you're a contextual applicant, you have a good chance with LSE. so long as your LNAT is good, and your personal statement too, you have a very good shot at most of these universities with those GCSEs.

Thank you very much for replying. I had no idea bath doesn’t do law but I was from between it and Nottingham anyway so I guess that settles it… do you think I’d still pose a decent chance of getting into there?

Also, what exactly is a contextual applicant?

Thank you so much though for the stuff you’ve said, about each uni though, I appreciate it a lot
Reply 3
Original post by XxPhantom
Thank you very much for replying. I had no idea bath doesn’t do law but I was from between it and Nottingham anyway so I guess that settles it… do you think I’d still pose a decent chance of getting into there?

Thank you so much though for the stuff you’ve said, about each uni though, I appreciate it a lot
in light of your educational circumstances universities may choose to give you a contextual offer, which is an offer with lower A level grade requirements - for example if you live in a more deprived neighbourhood, an area with low progression to higher education, or go to a poorly rated school for GCSEs amongst other things. as one example of what a contextual offer looks like, UCL's typical standard offer for law is A*AA, and if you meet contextual requirements they reduce it to BBB.

and Nottingham you should definitely have a good shot at too. Exeter and Nottingham don't require the LNAT btw
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MAKER11

in light of your educational circumstances universities may choose to give you a contextual offer, which is an offer with lower A level grade requirements - for example if you live in a more deprived neighbourhood, an area with low progression to higher education, or go to a poorly rated school for GCSEs amongst other things. as one example of what a contextual offer looks like, UCL's typical standard offer for law is A*AA, and if you meet contextual requirements they reduce it to BBB.

and Nottingham you should definitely have a good shot at too.

Oh right thanks for telling me about the contextual thing… I don’t think I’ll qualify for that in all honesty but that’s alright of course. And I’m glad to hear I’ve got a shot to get into Nottingham so thank you for all you’ve said and info you’ve given me🙂
Reply 5

Oh right thanks for telling me about the contextual thing… I don’t think I’ll qualify for that in all honesty but that’s alright of course. And I’m glad to hear I’ve got a shot to get into Nottingham so thank you for all you’ve said and info you’ve given me🙂no problem, good luck for your GCSEs
Reply 6
Original post by MAKER11

Oh right thanks for telling me about the contextual thing… I don’t think I’ll qualify for that in all honesty but that’s alright of course. And I’m glad to hear I’ve got a shot to get into Nottingham so thank you for all you’ve said and info you’ve given me🙂
no problem, good luck for your GCSEs

Thank youuu
Does Bath have a Law course? I thought they do not have a Law school. Please check.
Reply 8
Original post by BubblesBB
Does Bath have a Law course? I thought they do not have a Law school. Please check.

Yeah someone else previously mentioned this… they don’t, I thought they did tho. I’m thinking about Exeter now instead
Reply 9
Nottingham sorry, not Exeter 🤦*♂️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending