The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I'm from Kent and I notice the differences in accents even between certain towns.
I dont think Kent and London are different.
Reply 3
BeckyDay
Well I'm from Kent and I notice the differences in accents even between certain towns.

Kent is differnet, just can't ut a finger on it, think it's more drawly or rural sounding. Sounds kind of savvy.
I'm from Suffolk and sometimes the suffolk accent can be very strong, so can the norfolk accent so yes I think the southern accent varies considerably.
Chillaxer
Kent is differnet, just can't ut a finger on it, think it's more drawly or rural sounding. Sounds kind of savvy.

Erm, what? :lolwut:

I grew up in Kent, and I seriously don't think that we even have an "accent". To most people I'm just a Southerner without any distinguishing accent. If there is a Kentish accent, I'm not able to tell it apart from anywhere else's.
Reply 6
All Black Everything
I dont think Kent and London are different.

I think it depends what part of London you are talking about, and what part of Kent you are discussing as well.
Even London has a few different accents. Even in places like reading there is definately an obvious accent different. I find accents amazing lol
Didn't think Kent used to have an accent until I moved away but now it's very noticeable when you hear someone from the area, it's kind of a hybrid cockney/chav accent :s-smilie:
:p:

I have a 'received pronunciation' accent, any other accent in England is either inappropriate or irrelevant.

:biggrin:
Southern accents are all the same apart from the essex one.

I love being Northern.
Reply 11
Kent accent is a lesser London, slightly cockney accent, softer spoken from what I've heard around here.

Now the Devonian, Cornish and Bristolian accents, I can tell the difference but I doubt people not from that area can!

I love the Bristol accent soooo much. It sounds almost Welsh sometimes.
Reply 12
Aphotic Cosmos
Erm, what? :lolwut:

I grew up in Kent, and I seriously don't think that we even have an "accent". To most people I'm just a Southerner without any distinguishing accent. If there is a Kentish accent, I'm not able to tell it apart from anywhere else's.

Think of a Londoner who grew up on a farm - that is how I'd describe a Kentish accent.
Reply 13
Before I moved to Oxford I assumed that there would be the standard divide here between middle class people speaking RP and everyone else speaking in a cockneyish accent. In fact, working class people here have an accent a bit like the west country one. Broad and kind of farmer-y. :biggrin:
aliluvschoc
Think of a Londoner who grew up on a farm - that is how I'd describe a Kentish accent.

Oh dear :sigh:

I'll have to try and notice this next time I go home.
Reply 15
MetalheadA7X

I love being Northern.

This!

Yeah you do all sound the same down south :smile:

But then I'm guessing southern people can't tell the differences between places like Wakefield, Sheffield and Barnsley and they're very distinct in Yorkshire.
Reply 16
Aphotic Cosmos
Oh dear :sigh:

I'll have to try and notice this next time I go home.

TBH, being from Devon I quite like it. The London accents can be harsh, so it's sort of tempered a bit.

:yes: It's really hard to hear your own accent though. I think I speak RP.
Reply 17
MetalheadA7X

I love being Northern.

Yeh you're right, we in the south all wish that we sounded like Paul Gascoigne.
Reply 18
Random Guy#001
Didn't think Kent used to have an accent until I moved away but now it's very noticeable when you hear someone from the area, it's kind of a hybrid cockney/chav accent :s-smilie:

Not sure about the cockney but I agree with the chav accent. :yes: I was often teased when I was younger because my parents bought me up to not speak like that.
I'm from Cambridge (I don't go to the Uni, I just.. live here), but I wouldn't say I could pinpoint a specific 'Cambridge accent'.. on the one hand, you can get some upper-class RP people, and then you get people like my friend, who sound as if they're a watered-down Cockney.
I laugh at her sometimes. She sounds ridiculous, and I don't even think she's ever been to London.

Latest

Trending

Trending