The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 - Elements of the Pastoral 15/6/10

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Some section B practice questions:
- To what extent do you think writers in the pasterol tradition present their readers with perfect but mythical worlds?
- Pastoral writing shows a rural way of life is the best way of avoiding moral corruption. how far does your reading of pastoral writing support this view?
-The pastoral has always been able to make criticisms of the establishment whilst at the same time warning against a radical disturbance of the social order. how far do you agree?

^you've probably already got them, but anyway, you could look on the AQA website for more, or do one about urban vs the rural.
Reply 41
Has anybody got any good quotes or ideas from critics? For AYLI, Blake or the pastoral poetry?
Reply 42
irachx
Has anybody got any good quotes or ideas from critics? For AYLI, Blake or the pastoral poetry?

Thanks han<3. I haven't got those particular ones but it's good that the same basic ideas come up as questions, but just slightly different.

For As You Like It Alistair Fowler (1984) said the play was a "complex departure from the pastoral"

and I don't have the name but the editor of the Arden Shakespeare edition said that "beneath a sunny surface 'As You Like It' touches on troubled territories" and this "would not have been far from the mind of its first audiences"

Also a general might be Roger Sales' (1983) political definition of pastoral "that is is essentially escapist" "came to be used to prevent the questioning of the power structures that underpinned land ownership, and indeed, the complete fabric of society" - could be easily linked to AYLI

I don't have any for poetry, which poems are you doing?
Reply 43
Thanks han<3. I haven't got those particular ones but it's good that the same basic ideas come up as questions, but just slightly different.

For As You Like It Alistair Fowler (1984) said the play was a "complex departure from the pastoral"

and I don't have the name but the editor of the Arden Shakespeare edition said that "beneath a sunny surface 'As You Like It' touches on troubled territories" and this "would not have been far from the mind of its first audiences"

Also a general might be Roger Sales' (1983) political definition of pastoral "that is is essentially escapist" "came to be used to prevent the questioning of the power structures that underpinned land ownership, and indeed, the complete fabric of society" - could be easily linked to AYLI

I don't have any for poetry, which poems are you doing?

Thanks so much! and I'm doing pastoral poetry after 1945.
Reply 44
irachx
Thanks so much! and I'm doing pastoral poetry after 1945.

Oh me too. I spent quite a while trying to find one for Larkin but it can take forever and I haven't got any yet
Reply 45
Do we need to write about context in part B? Like is it more about 'contextualising' the
pastoral (whatever that means), or do we write about the socio-political context of the texts?
Reply 46
blap
Do we need to write about context in part B? Like is it more about 'contextualising' the
pastoral (whatever that means), or do we write about the socio-political context of the texts?

I think in part B it's normally about the time period the texts were written in and the different types of pastoral they are e.g. anti-pastoral, traditional pastoral. So you put your texts into the context of the pastoral? does that make any sense:s-smilie:
Reply 47
I think in part B it's normally about the time period the texts were written in and the different types of pastoral they are e.g. anti-pastoral, traditional pastoral. So you put your texts into the context of the pastoral? does that make any sense:s-smilie:

Yeah cool, that's what I thought. Thanks for that.
Reply 48
Done! :d
How did you all think it went?

Btw sorry I didn't post any of my practise questions - I had soooo much to do! I didn't even get time to check on the thread!
Reply 50
I thought it went quite well. The questions were pretty fair. I kind of choked on the Brideshead aspect of section B though. I effing hate that book. But overall not bad!
Joan_Jett
I thought it went quite well. The questions were pretty fair. I kind of choked on the Brideshead aspect of section B though. I effing hate that book. But overall not bad!

:ditto:
Except I love Brideshead. I just found it hard to write about in relation to the question.
Reply 52
Did anyone do the As You Like It question? I didn't think it was a bad question but hope I answered it right
Reply 53
Did anybody do Brideshead for Question A
What the questions were especially for section B as I am currently revising and would appreciate some essay questions to practice.
How'd everyone do?
How many poems counts for one text? Is there any comparison between texts in this exam?
To what extent do you think writers in the pasterol tradition present their readers with perfect but mythical worlds?

I'm answering on AYLI and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Has anyone got any scenes I could write about in either, or any quotes or critics that I could use?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending