The Student Room Group

Will my caution affect a future career in accountancy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was cautioned for shoplifting when I was 16. It was all a massive mistake because I didn't even do it, it was my friend, but because she hid the item in my bad I got the wrap for it.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I am an employee for a big accountancy firm and they have just run enhanced CRB checks on us. My reprimand, which is more than 5 years old now, has shown up on it.

Work haven't mentioned anything to me yet so i'm assuming they are ok with it. So your caution will show up on an enhanced disclosure, whether your employer will be bothered by it or not is a different matter. You wouldn't need to disclose it on an application form because it's not a conviction, but with it being theft from an employer which does cast doubt over your integrity, maybe it would be worth mentioning before they did a CRB check so that you could explain. Pretty hard one to explain away though to be honest.

I've been in my training contract since september and they have ouly just done checks on us. and the reason behind it was that we were auditing in colleges so we needed them to be safe to work round children, tather than because the employer wanted to check us themselves.

But it depends where you work. Accountancy is exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act so they would be allowed to do an enhanced disclosure on you. and so would any professional body, such as ICAEW, if they chose to.

I have loved with this hanging over my head for years and it's only now when I got the CRB check done that i eventually got a clear answer on what would show up, there is so much confliction onfo on the internet over what is retained, what is disclosed and what caution/reprimand i actually got because I was never given any paperwork to confirm anything.

Hope that helps in some way. I think it may be a little stumbling block for you along the line but I wouldn't let it put you off applying. I know plenty of people in the profession who aren't squeaky clean and have records, it's not impossible!
hanhan88
I was cautioned for shoplifting when I was 16. It was all a massive mistake because I didn't even do it, it was my friend, but because she hid the item in my bad I got the wrap for it.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I am an employee for a big accountancy firm and they have just run enhanced CRB checks on us. My reprimand, which is more than 5 years old now, has shown up on it.

Work haven't mentioned anything to me yet so i'm assuming they are ok with it. So your caution will show up on an enhanced disclosure, whether your employer will be bothered by it or not is a different matter. You wouldn't need to disclose it on an application form because it's not a conviction, but with it being theft from an employer which does cast doubt over your integrity, maybe it would be worth mentioning before they did a CRB check so that you could explain. Pretty hard one to explain away though to be honest.

I've been in my training contract since september and they have ouly just done checks on us. and the reason behind it was that we were auditing in colleges so we needed them to be safe to work round children, tather than because the employer wanted to check us themselves.

But it depends where you work. Accountancy is exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act so they would be allowed to do an enhanced disclosure on you. and so would any professional body, such as ICAEW, if they chose to.

I have loved with this hanging over my head for years and it's only now when I got the CRB check done that i eventually got a clear answer on what would show up, there is so much confliction onfo on the internet over what is retained, what is disclosed and what caution/reprimand i actually got because I was never given any paperwork to confirm anything.

Hope that helps in some way. I think it may be a little stumbling block for you along the line but I wouldn't let it put you off applying. I know plenty of people in the profession who aren't squeaky clean and have records, it's not impossible!

As it is an exempt profession, you do need to disclose it if they ask for your "criminal record", "cautions", "reprimands" or any "action or involvement with the police". Within exempt professions it is usually also known to be included within "convictions", however you are unlikely to questioned much if you don't disclose and it only asks for convictions.
Reply 22
sam.hunton
As it is an exempt profession, you do need to disclose it if they ask for your "criminal record", "cautions", "reprimands" or any "action or involvement with the police". Within exempt professions it is usually also known to be included within "convictions", however you are unlikely to questioned much if you don't disclose and it only asks for convictions.

Yeah, I agree it depends what they ask. I can't remember what mine said exactly but it mentioned something about things that have been taken to court, something along those lines, so there was no doubt i didn't need to mention mine. But if it says what you said above then I would mention something.

On other things I have said no to the question if it asks for 'convictions' since I researched and was told that a reprimand isn't a conviction. But again, seem to get conflicting view on pretty much everything to do with this issue, I really think there should be some clarification of what is what because it's a really stressful situation to be in. You don't want to not disclose and get tripped up later on, but you don't want to make a mountain over a molehill and shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning something that isn't relevant or necessary.

Difficult situation, just have to try your best to get it right as you go along!
hello hanhan,

I was wondering whether you are still working for this big 4 firm or whether this did have any negative effects?

I am in a similar situation myself I have an offer from a big4 firm, but around 6 years ago when i was 15 I was caught smoking cannabis with friends. I was verbally spoken to by the police officer, never went to the station or court and also never received written confirmation so im not even sure if i did get a Reprimand.

But now Im worried about what could come of this.....Im not too bothered regarding the big 4 company as they state they only carry out basic disclosure checks which bring up unspent convictions, Im just worried about the ICAEW itself and hope that if they do come across this, they will see it as minor and that it was a childhood phase.

anyone have any views, thanks.......
You should be fine OP, it's only a caution!
Original post by Jazzeh123
Today I was arrested and given a police caution for 'Theft from Employer'. Although this wasnt for my benefit, it was to speed up my job (its hard to explain what i mean). I have only 'stolen' £20 over 12 months but they still reported to the police who said that if they had their way they would let me go with nothing cus I have no previous records and the money taken was such a low value, however my employer insisted that they take action.

So yeh, will this caution affect any future career in accountancy? I am goin to uni in september for the next 4 years.

Thanks

It should be okay, no CRB check at KPMG, although in some applications they may ask for any criminal details. Just don't screw up again,

your chances would be slimmer if you want to be a teacher though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending