The Student Room Group

Thread for new 5th years

Ok, so 5th year is totally random. I could've done without my headmaster telling us at the start that only 40-45% of us would get 3 Highers, seeing as I want 5 Highers at A. Hmmm. Very inspiring...:L But what's everyone thinking of their subjects? Mine are going like this,

Maths-:s-smilie: (No idea really, I've only had one lesson so far)
German-:woo: Brilliant, actually loving it. There's only 10 people in my class which is fantastic.
Chemistry-:woo: Well, it is Chemistry after all, Chemistry's awesome
Biology-:smile: It seems ok, although one of my teachers looks a bit like a weasel and the other ones moves through work at the speed of light, which doesn't help. But I guess that's just normal for Higher.
English-:s-smilie: Again, no idea, I've only had one lesson so far but I have a bad feeling about all those essays and the fact that my writing NAB is only in a few weeks, seeing as I've learnt nothing yet!

Scroll to see replies

NaturalDisaster
Ok, so 5th year is totally random. I could've done without my headmaster telling us at the start that only 40-45% of us would get 3 Highers, seeing as I want 5 Highers at A. Hmmm. Very inspiring...:L But what's everyone thinking of their subjects? Mine are going like this,

Maths-:s-smilie: (No idea really, I've only had one lesson so far)
German-:woo: Brilliant, actually loving it. There's only 10 people in my class which is fantastic.
Chemistry-:woo: Well, it is Chemistry after all, Chemistry's awesome
Biology-:smile: It seems ok, although one of my teachers looks a bit like a weasel and the other ones moves through work at the speed of light, which doesn't help. But I guess that's just normal for Higher.
English-:s-smilie: Again, no idea, I've only had one lesson so far but I have a bad feeling about all those essays and the fact that my writing NAB is only in a few weeks, seeing as I've learnt nothing yet!

That does not sound promising...
Midnight's Child
That does not sound promising...

That's exactly what I thought. That was just the statistics for my school. But it's not exactly the best thing to say to make us more motivated for the year to come. I was terrified as it was, but that comment knocked my confidence a little. Now it's time for me to use my special ability of bouncing back no matter what happens. Time to work my *** off...:rolleyes:
Reply 3
IGNORE THE TEACHERS TELLING YOU HOW HARD IT IS.

It really isn't as hard as they tell you, if you're hoping for 5A's, then chances are you'll get it providing you have the intelligence and work a bit.

Don't **** yourself.
Reply 4
NaturalDisaster
That's exactly what I thought. That was just the statistics for my school. But it's not exactly the best thing to say to make us more motivated for the year to come. I was terrified as it was, but that comment knocked my confidence a little. Now it's time for me to use my special ability of bouncing back no matter what happens. Time to work my *** off...:rolleyes:

I hate it when teachers say things like that. How do they know how hard you're going to work, how much effort you put in to get your current grades or any number of other things. If you work hard I'm sure you'll do good and just don't listen to comments like that. They're simply not helpful. :smile:
Reply 5
Here are my subject rundowns!

Maths - eh... intimidating. Have had 14 pages of homework after 2 periods, and have mandatory afternoon sessions next week. Hoo-rah! Not hard yet, though, so I'm happeh.
English - teacher has spent a long time informing us of how it's the hardest Higher, blabla. Not actually done any work in it yet, so it makes for happy times.
Chemistry - fiiiine! Just done some practical and write-ups so far, and it's looking good.
Computing - I wasn't sure what was going to happen based on my first period of this: the teacher told us to log on and left us to play games while he browsed his catalogue. Although in today's double period he had a lengthy debate with himself as to whether "binary" had Greek or Latin roots, we got taught, and I am well pleased.
Biology - intimidated! Crashing it, so I'm scared of everything. What's a Golgi and why should I care? Why does the textbook say "building block of life" so much? :frown:

It's been an altogether... ramshackle experience. We're not the best school in terms of resources, so everything's really thrown together, and there's going to have to be a lot of effort on my part if I'm going to get the grades I want.
davidmarsh01
IGNORE THE TEACHERS TELLING YOU HOW HARD IT IS.

It really isn't as hard as they tell you, if you're hoping for 5A's, then chances are you'll get it providing you have the intelligence and work a bit.

Don't **** yourself.

Eh yeah... don't do that :erm:
Lulope
I hate it when teachers say things like that. How do they know how hard you're going to work, how much effort you put in to get your current grades or any number of other things. If you work hard I'm sure you'll do good and just don't listen to comments like that. They're simply not helpful. :smile:

Thank you. I got so stressed out. But seeing as it's only 2 days into my new subjects I can't judge much. But I'm missing Standard Grade Drama and Int 2 History, even though I'll be prowling around the Drama department for shows most likely, and I plan to take Higher History in 6th year. If it wasn't for me needing Maths for Uni I would've been able to take History this year...:mad: Oh well. I liked having loads of subjects. Tomorrows my first full lesson of Maths, and I'm expecting a tonne of homework for it, after seeing how much other people in my year have got. :P
Reply 8
Just don't get yourself too stressed out, especially not yet. S5 is actually fun for a lot of people so don't let your preconceptions ruin it for you (:
Reply 9
take it easy guys and have a nice summer
Reply 10
Armaros
Here are my subject rundowns!

Maths - eh... intimidating. Have had 14 pages of homework after 2 periods, and have mandatory afternoon sessions next week. Hoo-rah! Not hard yet, though, so I'm happeh.
English - teacher has spent a long time informing us of how it's the hardest Higher, blabla. Not actually done any work in it yet, so it makes for happy times.
Chemistry - fiiiine! Just done some practical and write-ups so far, and it's looking good.
Computing - I wasn't sure what was going to happen based on my first period of this: the teacher told us to log on and left us to play games while he browsed his catalogue. Although in today's double period he had a lengthy debate with himself as to whether "binary" had Greek or Latin roots, we got taught, and I am well pleased.
Biology - intimidated! Crashing it, so I'm scared of everything. What's a Golgi and why should I care? Why does the textbook say "building block of life" so much? :frown:

It's been an altogether... ramshackle experience. We're not the best school in terms of resources, so everything's really thrown together, and there's going to have to be a lot of effort on my part if I'm going to get the grades I want.

A golgi body is where proteins are processed and the golgi vesicle secrets them :smile:

You'll all be fine once you get into the swing of things srsly :awesome:
Reply 11
I'm have another induction day tomorrow, so I've not started any lessons yet. I start on Thursday. We were told by a teacher today that 5th year is rubbish, and then that it's not so bad by another teacher.:dontknow:
Reply 12
LMAC
I'm have another induction day tomorrow, so I've not started any lessons yet. I start on Thursday. We were told by a teacher today that 5th year is rubbish, and then that it's not so bad by another teacher.:dontknow:

I think 5th year was the best year
Reply 13
Ah, S5, I'm loving my new classes I must say :smile: The thought of the stress to come... not so much!

My subjects are :

Maths : Well, got a good teacher, and understand it so far, got a feeling this won't last though :s-smilie:

French : Love it, love it, love it! Was always my 2nd favourite subject after MS so it's great to fit it in this year! Really looking forward to this :smile:

Human Biology : Really interesting from what I've seen, hopefully it doesn't get boring and pointless, understanding the protein stuff we're doing just now too :smile:

Chemistry : Well, really looking forward to this as well, always liked Chemistry so I hope I can get a good grade!

English : Rather sadly, I think it looks good, love the folio introduction too, can't wait to get stuck into the text we do too :smile:

This said, ask me again in a few weeks and I won't be enjoying anything probably :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Ahh, I remember how much I enjoyed the first 2 weeks of higher english, you actually begin to think the course is totally over rated. Um...yeah, not like that, by far the most brutal higher you will do.
Higher German is the funniest thing that's happened to me this year. German slang is hilarious, I just wish our teacher hadn't banned us from using it in essays. :biggrin: It won't be easy, but it'll be fun. :biggrin: Didn't enjoy watching a video of a kidney transplant in Biology and I think it's pretty safe to say I'm not destined to be a surgeon.
Reply 16
_Stephieee

English : Rather sadly, I think it looks good, love the folio introduction too, can't wait to get stuck into the text we do too :smile:

oh sweet young innocent child, how little thou knowst :o:
Reply 17
DarrenC

This :biggrin:
Reply 18
DarrenC

You could add "Higher English is also like a satanic pregnancy: 9 months of torture...and then you're born into a pink tunnel (the paper) in a short amount of time whilst your mind is dehumanized to the very core. (This symbolises the cruel frailty of man and other ****.)"

And +rep cos your sig made me laugh for a good five minutes.

:awesome:
Reply 19
I had like three Induction days and I'm going to start my Highers tomorrow. Double period of graphics is going to be my first lesson in 5th year! I'm worried, though, I'm going to have a 'brilliant' class. In the induction days, we did a unit called 'Working with others' for which we will get an Int2 Qualification if we passed it. I think it was pretty rubbish as I got moved from a very good group to a really bad one, where at first no one listened to me. Apparently, I'm really scared about Modern (I have it timetabled 6 periods a week!) but English, I hope isn't going to be that bad. I'll put the effort in so I should be okay despite the fact that I know it's going to be pretty difficult. I also have it 6 periods a week, which is good because it makes me miss PSE :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending