The Student Room Group

AQA Paper 2 English exam (9th June). Blessing/Island Man?

I have a quick question regarding whether Island Man or Blessing will appear on tomorrows English paper...

They've never appeared before (unlike the 6 others, some of which have appeared multiple times)... And I vaguely remember being told that this is because they are foundation poems and hence won't be asked about in a question. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, had a look at all of the past papers, and am guessing that either Two Scavengers, Limbo, or Vultures are going to come up.

If it's of any use to anybody, here are the Cluster 1 poems and questions as they've appeared since June 2006.

June 06
Poems: Vultures
Question topic: People

Nov 06
Poems: Night of the Scorpion
Question topic: Image of a place

June 07
Poems: What Were They Like?
Question topic: Cultures

Nov 07
Poems: Limbo
Question topic: Impact on reader, culture

June 08
Poems: Two Scavengers in a Truck, Two Beautiful People in a Mercedes
Question topic: Language, layout

Nov 08
Poems: What Were They Like?
Question topic: Language, Structure

June 09
Poems: Nothing’s Changed
Question topic: Feelings

Nov 09
Poems: Night of the Scorpion
Question topic: People’s lives

Jack
Reply 1
limbo came up!!! on higher and foundation..
Reply 2
saniibabez
limbo came up!!! on higher and foundation..

I had a nagging feeling last night that Limbo's going to come up today, so I revised it more than any others...and it did come up:smile:

How did you do?
Reply 3
Hehe :biggrin:. Today was a case of me winging it. I condensed my revision focus into Limbo, Two Scavengers and Vultures. I didn't really like the question a great deal, but in the end compared Limbo and Two Scavengers, like you; and I came out feeling confident!

In the end I only had to learn 3 out of the 16 poems. I'm not complaining :yep:.

How did you people on here find it? What about the describe section?

Jack
I enjoyed this exam, well, the poetry anyway.

I chose the question on Limbo, and compared it with Search for My Tongue. I wrote about the enjembament, onomatopoea (however you spell it), and how the conflict in culture was represented by the conflict of emotions etc. The describe question however, apparently I like writing about trenches in the second world war :P
Reply 5
Evanesyne
I had a nagging feeling last night that Limbo's going to come up today, so I revised it more than any others...and it did come up:smile:

How did you do?

i think that i did quite well...i compared it with blessing what about you??
anyone else do blessing and limbo??
Reply 6
saniibabez

yep - i thought the two went well together, especially talking about religion.....:yep:
Puerile critique of capitalism =/= Liberal Democrat ideology
Reply 8
saniibabez

Ah, a lot of people compared it to Blessing :erm: I did Nothing's Changed, only because I know the poem off my heart XD I was going to use it whatever the given poem was though. :yep:
Reply 9
Sounds like you did well! I got in about 5 paragraphs, focused on;

The beginnings of the poems, (basically discussed the effect of the title and introductions)

The lack of punctuation and the effect of this

Linguistic devices used, such as enjambament, onomatoepia(sp?), sibilance

Structure, sentence length etc

The imagery, and how it evokes sympathy

I got in quite a bit about the background of the authors, as well as alternative interpretations; my fall down could be that I didn't really make sufficient reference to what was actually being asked. I tried to link everything back to it but feel I may have wandered a little off topic in places.

Nevertheless it's over and done with now so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed until August 24th.. :wink:

Jack
Reply 10
I'm confident for you; and I'll look forward to hearing from you!

Jack

Latest

Trending

Trending