The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Book in advance. Make sure you know when all the open days are. I didn't visit any of the unis I applied to, which I greatly regret; I made my decision based on reputation and word of mouth.
Reply 2
el che
Book in advance. Make sure you know when all the open days are. I didn't visit any of the unis I applied to, which I greatly regret; I made my decision based on reputation and word of mouth.

is it normal for AS students to go to open days or should i wait till A2?
safwaansh

Everybody I know went at the end of Year 12 ie. the summer term.
Reply 4
safwaansh

Totally normal, it won't be long until you are at A2 anyway. If you start looking early, you can start making decisions. Sending off your UCAS application will be here quicker than you think.
Reply 5
Yes you should go
Reply 6
Yep it's normal especially at this stage in the year a lot of uni's old open days over the summer so they have free rooms for people far away to stay.
Go this summer! Open Days were so fun last year. Everyone kind of stopped going to school and just went out for nice day trips on trains. Wish I could go back and visit different unis this year... would've applied to different places!
Reply 8
Yeah, there won't be many A2 students looking around on these open days, as they'll have already made decisions. Make sure you remember to look around the cities as well, that's just as important as the university; there's no point going somewhere you won't be happy.
Reply 9
Absolutely. I did half my uni visits before exams and half in september, but for me the most beneficial ones were the early ones. There's no point applying if you hate it when you get there.
Yeah go now!
Yeah I am going to some in the next 2 weeks because we have to start applying in September and we have got exams in January so we will all be really busy so it is probably best to go to some in these summer holidays to get a feel for the university and ask some questions.
Reply 12
Yes go. They are VERY important. They could really influence your final choices. I speak from experience.
Yeah definitely, just make sure you visit all of the unis that you're thinking of applying to. You'll get certain vibes from each of the places which will help you some of them out/in. They're more helpful than you think.

safwaansh

Pretty much everyone at the open days will be prospective AS students like yourself. The only A2 students will be those that didn't receive an offer for 2010 entry or those that decided to take a year out.
So which unis do you guys recommend or not recommend?
To all those who say they regret not going...
If you can get to them then definatly go, you want to look around it before applying. As what if you firm it and then on a post-offer open day don't like the uni at all?

mariashafira
So which unis do you guys recommend or not recommend?
To all those who say they regret not going...

Deends on what subject you want to do surely.

Latest