The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
prag92
This double thread posting is really getting confuseing now haha :eek3:
Yeah I sometimes end up spending too long on planning too - especially in exams with source work that requires annotation, something that I will be very wary of Thursday morning!

Already had history, may have made a hash of the structure on one of the questions but really really hope my results from AS and my A2 coursework prevent an A grade from slipping away!
Biology is the day after English....yay! :headfire:
...at least its my FINAL A2 PAPER!!!! :woo: When do you finish??

:yep: :laugh:

I have one exam after English (Sociology) which is on the 29th :sad: But I only have three exams in total though so I can't really complain! :lol: I can't wait for that feeling of walking out of the last exam and having weeks and weeks of freedom :woo: :excited:

We're going a bit OT here :shy2: :laugh:
Reply 21
royster917
why is it that i have never heard of any of these frame theory's and im sitting the same exam as most of you this thursday!!!

if anyone can give me tips on essay techniques and writing frames i would be sooo greatful, i havnt even done a mock essay or anything :s-smilie: im panicking now.

I didnt even know the idea of the exam was 'talk and life in literature' until this morning OMG :O

HELPPPPP!!!
thanksssss

:eek3: Ohhhh noooo :eek3: Sorry for the REALLLLY long reply haha :p:

The AQA website only features on examination script, here's the link to both the question paper and mark scheme

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ELLB3-W-SQP-07.PDF [EP]
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ELLB3-W-SMS-07.PDF [MS]

For the crafted and uncrafted talk question (SECTION B)

Information included in the essay should be as follows:

Purpose + Context- Summary of purpose and context
- Use something in common to link texts

Schema-Comments
- Expectations
- Evidence
- Comparisson
- Use key terms

Talk Features- Comments
- Interactional features?
- Comparative approach

Attitudes and Values
- Detailed Explanation
- Comparisson
- Evidence
- Key terms

Conclusion
- Brief Summary
- Be careful not to repeat what you've stated earlier
- Something like this works well, text A and B have shown.... but text A showed it like so..... compared to text b which did it this way......

:o: :confused: :wink: :smile:

When approaching section A (Question is on the play/book you've studied or should have studied) This particular structure relates to a Streetcar Named Desire, but parts could be applied to other plays too :biggrin:

Context
·What is the significance of this passage to the play as a whole? Is it important in terms of the development of characters, plot or themes?
·Has anything significant happened before this scene that may affect the way that we view this scene?

Turn-taking
·Who initiates the conversation and what does that show?
·Who controls the topic management? Is it the same character throughout?
·Is there any deliberate interruption? (This will be shown by an incomplete utterance followed by a hyphen). If so, why does it occur at this particular point?
·Are there any moments when one of the characters holds the floor for a long time? If so, then why is this significant?
·Is there any skip-connecting (when one character ignores the contribution of another and returns to their original line of conversation). If so, what does this reveal?
·Is the conversation co-operative or competitive?

Structure
·Is there any foreshadowing in this scene?
·Are there any recurring motifs in the scene? (e.g. the paper lantern over the light, bathing)
·Is a comic moment introduced to create contrast and alleviate the tension? (e.g. when Steve tells a joke after a particularly tense scene or Blanche’s parrot story after the tense birthday supper).

Additional Prompts:
·What do the stage directions reveal? Look at the prosodic and paralinguistic features here. There is a lot of symbolism in Tennessee Williams’ plays.
·What do the terms of address used indicate about the relationship between the characters?
·Are there any non-fluency features? If so, why do they occur here?
·Comment on literary devices used if relevant e.g. dramatic irony, metaphors, similes, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration etc.

GOOOD LUCK EVERYONE.....I'M SURE YOU'LL ALL DO REALLLY WELL :woo:
Reply 22
x-Rachel-x

Schema-Comments
- Expectations
- Evidence
- Comparisson
- Use key terms

Talk Features- Comments
- Comparative approach

Attitudes and Values
- Detailed Explanation
- Comparisson
- Evidence
- Key terms

Conclusion
- Brief Summary
- Something like this works well, text A and B have shown.... but text A showed it like so..... compared to text b which did it this way......

Context
·What is the significance of this passage to the play as a whole? Is it important in terms of the development of characters, plot or themes?
·Has anything significant happened before this scene that may affect the way that we view this scene?

Turn-taking
·Is there any deliberate interruption? (This will be shown by an incomplete utterance followed by a hyphen). If so, why does it occur at this particular point?
·Are there any moments when one of the characters holds the floor for a long time? If so, then why is this significant?
·Is there any skip-connecting (when one character ignores the contribution of another and returns to their original line of conversation). If so, what does this reveal?

Structure
·Are there any recurring motifs in the scene? (e.g. the paper lantern over the light, bathing)
·Is a comic moment introduced to create contrast and alleviate the tension? (e.g. when Steve tells a joke after a particularly tense scene or Blanche’s parrot story after the tense birthday supper).

Additional Prompts:
·What do the stage directions reveal? Look at the prosodic and paralinguistic features here. There is a lot of symbolism in Tennessee Williams’ plays.
·What do the terms of address used indicate about the relationship between the characters?
·Comment on literary devices used if relevant e.g. dramatic irony, metaphors, similes, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration etc.

Thank You life saver:biggrin:
Reply 23
you are an absolute angel!!!!

thank you soo much

x x x
Reply 24
Rachael.

I have one exam after English (Sociology) which is on the 29th But I only have three exams in total though so I can't really complain! I can't wait for that feeling of walking out of the last exam and having weeks and weeks of freedom

We're going a bit OT here

Lol, with every right to do so!! Summer will be so bliss after the first few weeks of exam results worry :biggrin:

x-Rachel-x

Woooooah, thanks!! That breaks it down fairly nicely :yep: Good luck to you too!
Reply 25
OhYumMilk
I hate how every Hamlet example I've seen is act 3 scene 4, the part I know the best. Blaaaady. I'm gonna fail cause I failed ELLB 2 times and did a third resit. It is destined. Talk in Life and Literature LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Yeh, I'm failing that so nicely. :smile:

This is your 3rd attempt at this exam?
Reply 26
Can anyone suggest any features of a poem that shows/links to 'talk in life and literature'? because i HATE analysing poems since they make no sense to me lol...Just hope it wont cum up in the exam (Fingers Crossed!) :smile:

If anyone Can then that'd be Great! :biggrin:
Reply 27
It's tomorrow guys :eek3:
Reply 28
simplyme10
Can anyone suggest any features of a poem that shows/links to 'talk in life and literature'? because i HATE analysing poems since they make no sense to me lol...Just hope it wont cum up in the exam (Fingers Crossed!) :smile:

Heyyy :biggrin:

I doubt that we'll be given a poem to analyse? But who knows....Below is some information which hopefully will help you :s-smilie:

There has been a strong influence of spoken language on poetry which is as follows:

The desire to write about the ordinary, everyday aspects of life which has led to the use of colloquial langauge featured in poems which suit its subject matter

Poets also want to demystify poetry so that it is accessible to all readers

An example, some afro-carribean poets wanted to move away from standard language which was seen to be aggressive

Spoken language is used in poetry to create and develop characters. Occassionaly the writer uses the whole poem to explore someone else's voice

When analysing poems; some things to keep in mind are:

What connotations does the title have?

What features of spoken language can you spot? What effect do they have on reader?

What topics does the narrator address in the poem?

What is the importance of the final verse?

The information for analysing poetry is limited,,, SORRRY :confused:

GOOOD LUCK :p:
Reply 29
simplyme10

Best thing to do is not to panick! Just analyse it as you would any conversation, with points, quotes and comments. In some ways it might even be easier as the turns of each character will be nice and clear for you, lovely adjacency pairs :biggrin:

Would be rather mean of them to give us a nasty poem in the first year of examination for this paper, despite there being a Jan paper. :s-smilie:

But lets stick to the positive :wink:
Hey guys,

Also revising for the ELLB3. Just wondering, with the streetcar question
is it going to be about the "relationship" between characters?

It was in the Spec paper, and my teacher has been hinting about it, by giving only relationship based revision questions, but i'm no so sure and have no time to ask her before the exam.

Anyone able to verify this? :smile:
Reply 31
alice.peacock
Hey guys,

Also revising for the ELLB3. Just wondering, with the streetcar question
is it going to be about the "relationship" between characters?

It was in the Spec paper, and my teacher has been hinting about it, by giving only relationship based revision questions, but i'm no so sure and have no time to ask her before the exam.

Anyone able to verify this? :smile:

It's a very very likely possibility...
BUT, it could be on one of the major themes of the play, such as Blanche's delusion, loneliness or desire/death relationship and how it appears in the play.
I've mostly been given relationship questions too, but have had one on how Williams represents delusion. Either way, you should focus your answer on this key point of the question as apparently people lost marks in January's paper because they didn't focus on this enough. Hope that helps! :smile:
I'm doing Hamlet for this exam (tehehe).
But no, really.

Feeling okay about it, just hope the unseen texts are nice. Maybe some Monty Python like the past exam paper we looked at, please? =]
prag92
It's a very very likely possibility...
BUT, it could be on one of the major themes of the play, such as Blanche's delusion, loneliness or desire/death relationship and how it appears in the play.
I've mostly been given relationship questions too, but have had one on how Williams represents delusion. Either way, you should focus your answer on this key point of the question as apparently people lost marks in January's paper because they didn't focus on this enough. Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks ever so much :smile: I actually had no idea what other possibilities could come up so I now feel slightly more prepared! :smile:
Reply 34
Here's a plan I put together for the comparison, hope it's useful!
Reply 35
x-Rachel-x

The AQA website only features on examination script, here's the link to both the question paper and mark scheme

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ELLB3-W-SQP-07.PDF [EP]
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ELLB3-W-SMS-07.PDF [MS]

For the crafted and uncrafted talk question (SECTION B)

Information included in the essay should be as follows:

Schema-Comments
- Expectations
- Evidence
- Comparisson
- Use key terms

Talk Features- Comments
- Comparative approach

Attitudes and Values
- Detailed Explanation
- Comparisson
- Evidence
- Key terms

Conclusion
- Brief Summary

:o: :confused: :wink: :smile:

When approaching section A (Question is on the play/book you've studied or should have studied) This particular structure relates to a Streetcar Named Desire, but parts could be applied to other plays too :biggrin:

Context

Turn-taking

Structure

Additional Prompts:

wowwww thankyou so so much!
i was just wondering
has anyone got any essays that i could have a look at just to see how youve written them, ive written some but i dont know whether its right or not so i thought id compare mine to others
Reply 36
I'm verrry worried about this exam, our teacher left at Easter so we've been left with very little support, not done any English since then! Just hope I get at least a B, an A would be lovely.

Anyone got any ideas as to what should be discussed in relation to differences between talk in life and literature? I have:
- Lit is scripted - lexis choice likely to be more specific and meaningful?
- More spontonaity in everyday - more digressions, less structured, non-fluency features (fillers, false starts etc)
- Everyday - more non-standard forms eg. I'm not going nowhere. disjointed utterances eg. 'he's good at languages, french and that'
- Lit - always has the purpose of entertaining, wider audience, must be relevant and work towards the climax of the plot in some way.
- Everyday - Purpose can range from transactional and referential to simply for social interaction.
- Lit - less topic shifts? more specific agenda?
- Lit - very little interruption, clarity necesary for audience - links to purpose.

Anything else?
Reply 37
im so gna fail lmao.
Anybody got any modal answers>? Intense revision tonight i should do some example answers, but i cbb. heck i wont be bothered in the exam either lmao.
We had one very hard question on
"Explore the ways in which Williams presents the American conflict between traditional values and New world as embodied in the tension between Stanley and Blanch"

It was on Scene 10 and that hardest thing I've had to do all year :eek3:

But I talked about how Blanche is from Laurel and adapted to traditional ways of life which contrasts with the diversity and new way of life in Stanley's way of life.
I also talked about how the gender difference affects the scene, as in males are usually dominant.
I also just backed it up with terminology and how use of lexis reflected their values :rolleyes:
I think that as long as the streetcar question is on relationships or foreboding, I will be alright, but if it's on a really awkward theme like traditional values or delusion, I think that I will actualy cry.
The same goes for section B. If the extracts are simlpe and nice to compare, it will be lovely, but if it's a poem or a monologue I will be devastated.
I really need an A or a high B on this paper to get my A over-all, it's so worrying!
Good luck everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending