The Student Room Group

Travelling

I am having a gap year and I swear EVERYONE is going to uni this year? Really don't want to go by myself. Any suggestions for places etc!? I was thinking of a round-the-world type thing.
Reply 1
Budget?
Reply 2
Just go for it alone. If you save up a good chunk of cash (or have some saved up aleady) and buy a round the world ticket you'll meet loads of people on your way at hostels etc. Go into your local STA travel shop and have a chat with someone, they'll give you loads of ideas. For £1500 you should be able to get a decent route (London-NY-LA-Oz-SE Asia). If you're concerned about not knowing anyone then maybe consider an organised tour for when you first arrive in a country. I dunno if you've ever stayed in a hostel before but if not then give it a go in the UK and get an idea of how friendly people in them usually are. Deffo try STA though, they're awesome and all your friends at uni will be gutted when they have exams and you're chilling on a Thai beach :smile:
Reply 3
I decided to defer and got a job over the summer. Having worked stupid hours to a point where I was so tired I ended up with 2 arms in plaster from falling off my bike, I decided to take my trip in January, figured that it'd be quiet in terms of jobs then anyway. Was thinking 8 weeks total with 2 in Thailand seeing someone I met in Europe this summer, maybe a hop to 'Nam or Cambodia, 4 in Australia and 2 in New Zealand. Leaving around January 10th. Was just wondering if anyone will be in those places at those times or if anyone can think of any amendments to the route.

Quick Reply

Latest