The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rouge
Im interested in a career in banking/finance or insurance/actuarial and appyling to uni this year

Based on pure interest I';d probably do a natural science/engineering degree,, but I want to do something which will give me skills useful in a job, would a maths degree with some financial math modules or MORSE be the more desirable to an employer than a science/engin degree for the more technical jobs? it would seem that math would be more relevant to financial modelling and economics etc but heard confusing things about the demand for math grads. Any advice would be great.

I spoke to someone from LSE about this, he used to own an accounting firm himself and he said that he would prefer it if the person has done Straight Mathematics or something like Maths and *something*, because he said he can train you to learn accounting on the job, but the logical/problem solving/mathematical ability would only be developed by doing a maths degree....... Hope this helps.
Reply 21
What about pure economics?
MRLX69
I spoke to someone from LSE about this, he used to own an accounting firm himself and he said that he would prefer it if the person has done Straight Mathematics or something like Maths and *something*, because he said he can train you to learn accounting on the job, but the logical/problem solving/mathematical ability would only be developed by doing a maths degree....... Hope this helps.

which role in the banking/finance industry? A lot of students head for that area because to them it means big bucks but there are so many different jobs in the sector and they're all totally different, just as in the petrol industry, you have IT experts, petrol engineering people, technicians...

But HR directors can spot the people who are in it for the money out immediately and they really don't want people who are only interested in making money.

There are so many roles... you can be in IT support for a financial services firm so going to LSE or doing an economics degree isn't going to help you much.
Reply 23
ok.....

EVEERY1...who thinks they want to get into IB(investment banking) STOP FOR A SINGLE SECOND....

and go out buy and read ...MONKEY BUSINESS by JOHN ROLFE AND PETER TROOB...

...its definitely changed my perspective of life...and im sure it will help EVERY1 on this forum/thread
marabara
yes

no

Is that yes you do know, and no they don't have a good reputation?

If so why is that? Lancaster has a top business school so I would have thought it would be well respected?
Reply 25
Econ4m1t
ok.....

EVEERY1...who thinks they want to get into IB(investment banking) STOP FOR A SINGLE SECOND....

and go out buy and read ...MONKEY BUSINESS by JOHN ROLFE AND PETER TROOB...

...its definitely changed my perspective of life...and im sure it will help EVERY1 on this forum/thread

hmm for traders you can try the Liar's Poker. but those who like to get into to IB
prepare to answer following competency questions such as:

Is there a specific area within Investment Banking that most appeals to you? Why do you feel your skills are suitable to this area or Investment Banking in general? (Please limit your answer to 250 words)

Please outline any positions of responsibility you have held, within or outside of your formal academic study. Describe the nature of your responsibilities and any achievements of which you are personally proud. (This may include clubs, societies, hobbies, voluntary or paid work, travel or career roles).

Give an example of when you have proactively sought an opportunity to learn a new skill or develop an area of expertise. What did you learn? How did you go about developing yourself? How have you used your new skill?
Please limit your answer to 450 words.

Describe the most difficult goal you have achieved. What approach did you take? What obstacles did you have to overcome? How did you overcome these? How did you keep yourself motivated?

Give an example of when you have had to plan and organise an event or project. How did you go about it? What challenges did you face? How did you over come these? What was the outcome?
How does Industrial Economics, at Warwick or Nottingham, compare with Pure Economics (L100) in terms of employability in finance? Is there a major gap?
I'm sorry, this question has been asked too generally.

Different degrees will carry different advantages for diferent divions at IBs.

State a division - someone will be able to name a degree that will train the competancies that are most sought after.
Reply 28
which degree do people think would be valued and respected the most by finance or banking/IB employers in the city in general?
Imperial straight maths
LSE math and econ
Oxford straight maths
Warwick morse
Reply 29
Rouge
which degree do people think would be valued and respected the most by finance or banking/IB employers in the city in general?
Imperial straight maths
LSE math and econ
Oxford straight maths
Warwick morse

seriously they are all fine fo quantitative areas of financial work. its more relevant for you to research about what qualities and skills/interest etc. you need to make to the specific area you want to pursue in IB than ask such general quesions.

Latest

Trending

Trending