The Student Room Group

Breaking Into Investment Banking Without A Degree?

I hope you're all doing well. I'm Tom, a 32-year-old with a strong desire to break into the investment banking industry. However, I have some concerns due to my unconventional career path and the lack of a university degree. I would greatly appreciate your advice and insights on my situation.

To give you some background, I spent a decade in the Parachute Regiment before transitioning into the field of cyber security. While my military experience has shaped me into a disciplined and focused individual, I understand that the finance industry often values academic qualifications. I have been learning Python as part of my job for the past four years, and I also actively trade my own capital.

Considering my age and non-traditional background, I'm curious to know if I'm likely to face outright rejection from the investment banking sector. I am fully committed to studying and acquiring the necessary skills to make a successful career transition.

My main question is: Can I break into the investment banking sector without a degree? If the answer is yes, I would appreciate your guidance on the courses and skill sets that recruiters would ideally want from someone like me who lacks a university degree. On the other hand, if pursuing a degree is the best route, I would have to opt for the Open University studying Accounting and Finance as I still need to work full-time. Will I encounter problems from bank recruiters because of this?
Thank you all in advance for your valuable insights and advice.
Best regards, Tom.
I'm pretty sure quite a few finance firms have veterans schemes, that offer a year long contract to help people from these backgrounds transition into the finance industry. Then if they're happy with you after a year, they offer a permanent position. But would be easier to find finance employment elsewhere even if it's at another firm once you have a year of direct experience.

Think I remember seeing these sort of schemes at some of the bigger asset management firms like Vanguard, Schroders, Fidelity International, etc. Worth taking a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending