The Student Room Group

Maths with Japanese

I have an offer for straight maths. If I end up going to manchester uni I was thinking about changing the course to maths with japanese. The reason being more out of interest for the language and culture etc than anything. Is this a wise move? Will this provide more oppertunities for example, working in japan etc. Or will this do worse, put employers off because it isn't a full straight maths degree.

thanks

(Sorry didn't know where to put this thread, maths / languages / manchester uni, so just ended up in general discussion. Feel free to move it admins)
Reply 1
Yes and no, what do you want to do for a job? I have a relative who doesn't speak Japanese to my knowledge but is working in Japan for an equity firm/as a stockbroker. The Nikkei 225 is pretty popular so it could be a wise choice.
Reply 2
alexs2602
Yes and no, what do you want to do for a job? I have a relative who doesn't speak Japanese to my knowledge but is working in Japan for an equity firm/as a stockbroker. The Nikkei 225 is a pretty popular so it could be a wise choice.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to do something finance related, not totally sure yet. I'm very interested in the whole japanese culture and language and stuff, which is why I wouldn't mind working in japan.
Mathematics and Japanese? Do they mix?
Reply 4
bill-e
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to do something finance related, not totally sure yet. I'm very interested in the whole japanese culture and language and stuff, which is why I wouldn't mind working in japan.

In that case go for it, if you really love Japanese culture then you should study it, university isn't all about career prospects.
Reply 5
alexs2602
In that case go for it, if you really love Japanese culture then you should study it, university isn't all about career prospects.

What sort of level do you think they'd teach it at university? As I'm still a beginner :P
Reply 6
bill-e
What sort of level do you think they'd teach it at university? As I'm still a beginner :P

Havent a clue, I'd hope until you were fluent in it but I don't know. Look at the modules? Message a university?
Reply 7
alexs2602
Havent a clue, I'd hope until you were fluent in it but I don't know. Look at the modules? Message a university?

I shall, I shall. Thanks you :smile:
bill-e
I have an offer for straight maths. If I end up going to manchester uni I was thinking about changing the course to maths with japanese. The reason being more out of interest for the language and culture etc than anything. Is this a wise move? Will this provide more oppertunities for example, working in japan etc. Or will this do worse, put employers off because it isn't a full straight maths degree.

thanks

(Sorry didn't know where to put this thread, maths / languages / manchester uni, so just ended up in general discussion. Feel free to move it admins)

Oh my gosh!!! DO IT! I didn't think I'd see anyone else one here wanting to do my degree course (I will be starting this in September) considering that there's only been one person who's ever done it before according to the guy in charge haha.

If you have any questions, fire away, I know A LOT about this course, well the Japanese side anyway - since I've already done a year of straight Japanese before I decided to change :smile:
Reply 9
pomme de terre
Oh my gosh!!! DO IT! I didn't think I'd see anyone else one here wanting to do my degree course (I will be starting this in September) considering that there's only been one person who's ever done it before according to the guy in charge haha.

If you have any questions, fire away, I know A LOT about this course, well the Japanese side anyway - since I've already done a year of straight Japanese before I decided to change :smile:

:biggrin: woo!
How hard will the course be for a beginner?
What will the job prospects be like after the degree?
is it hard?
how is it taught?
haha theres a few starters :wink:
thanks xxxx

Latest