The Student Room Group

PGCE with a Law Degree?

Has anyone done this or considering doing it? Im just curious as to what PGCEs would actually take you with a law degree. Since the official requirement is '50% of your degree subject must be related to your PGCE course' Im doubting whether its possible to get on ANY course.

I have heard of people doing RE and Citizenship PGCEs with law degrees, but Im not interested in any of those. Im thinking that English (lets be honest, law is partly an excercise in advanced english language - definitions, explanations etc) and/or History (Analytical subject) would be possible, but looking for advice....

I think that universities like oxbridge might be strict on, for example, their history PGCe'rs needing a history degree, but metropolitan universities might be a bit more lenient.. ideas?
Law is both a GCSE and A level subject, albeit rare. Surely there must be some sort of postgraduate course to accommodate teachers of the subject?

Both my Law teachers also taught political modules of various courses. So maybe politics?

ETA: Just found this topic.
My history teacher did law. You'll probably get around it
Reply 3
Unfortunately to my knowledge there is no PGCE in Law per se. One alternative could be a PGCE (FE) that would enable you to elect law as your subject; this does however create problems as regards QTS since law is not a national curriculum subject.

As for history- what modules have you taken on your law degree? Many such modules could be relevant to history and your personal statement could say this, anything in legal history would be advantageous, likewise for Roman law. Subjects such as constitutional are very much applied modern political history in a legal context. You could also demonstrate how parts of EU law are relevant as a study in modern history from a European perspective if you focus on the historical side, ie treaty progression.

Latest

Trending

Trending