The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimplyEccentric
What do you all think of these AS choices: English Literature, Biology, Psychology and History? I'm planning on studying Psychology or Nursing and these subjects would satisfy both sets of entry requirements. Do you think they're strong enough?

Yes—yes I do.
Original post by SimplyEccentric
What do you all think of these AS choices: English Literature, Biology, Psychology and History? I'm planning on studying Psychology or Nursing and these subjects would satisfy both sets of entry requirements. Do you think they're strong enough?

I know someone that does that exact combination and the subjects seem really complimentary. I would say they're a great choice if they're the degrees in which you're interested. :smile:
just wondering whether
1. doing A Levels - all parts in one sitting or
2.doing the AS first and then taking A levels? my school offers both. so which way is the easiest?
My cousin tells me that its advantageous if I take take the 2nd route that is taking the AS exams first and then the A levels.. so that i can check out my AS results and decide whether to carry forward my gradings to my A levels or give my A levels a fresh start.
Original post by kayleigh.jean
aww good luck!! no problem; they're all decent subjects :lol:
thank you!! haha, feel free to add/PM me anytime about it :biggrin:

Yay thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Do it :biggrin: languages are great to have and if you're heading for an A* then you should have nothing to worry about. If you do one of your other subjects at uni, you could learn some French as well and do a year abroad :smile:

Oooh that's an interesting thought about Uni! :smile: Thanks for the encouragment, I'm worried I'll struggle but finding everyone to be very reassuring, so thank you! :biggrin:
Is Classical Civilisation a respected A level at Universities? I am considering studying this at A level replacing it with Law (which I posted about a while ago on this thread). Also, is it wise to study History and Classical Civilisation for A level, since I enjoy History (in general) very much and I'm working at an A* at GCSE.
Original post by Jack12334
hey guys, i am also aiming to get into medicine or work in the city but i am taking Maths, Chemistry, physics and economics. Should i change physics to biology or do you only need chemistry to get into medicine

How can you be interested in being a doctor if you don't particularly want to do biology A level? I would switch with physics.
What do you think you want to do at uni? You shouldn't really get too confused between them, if you do then at A level then you should get to know them well enough not to have any problems. Govt + politics isn't really soft, it's more that languages are particularly hard/impressive. Do what interests you most :smile: I should add that languages have the added benefit of letting you study abroad :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I want to do Law at university and I think I'm going to have to stick with French after all as History, English lit, German and G&P don't fit into our option blocks :mad: thanks again!
Reply 2888
Original post by Jack12334
hey guys, i am also aiming to get into medicine or work in the city but i am taking Maths, Chemistry, physics and economics. Should i change physics to biology or do you only need chemistry to get into medicine

In my opinion if you don't show an interest in biology then it shows to the medical interviewers that it was kind of last minute decision to do medicine.

Plus, a lot of universities want you to do it anyway. It's safe to do it.
How can you be interested in being a doctor if you don't particularly want to do biology A level? I would switch with physics.

its not that i don't want to do biology a level, i thought u didn't need it and i am good with maths, that is why i chose to pick physics. thanks for the advice and i am going to change it as it will give me a greater chance.
I really can't decide between French or Physics,
Does anyone, who has possibly done both, know which one is harder? I don't want any of these 'it's subjective' answers, I just want to know which one is generally harder.
Original post by Username12213131
I really can't decide between French or Physics,
Does anyone, who has possibly done both, know which one is harder? I don't want any of these 'it's subjective' answers, I just want to know which one is generally harder.

French isn't very subjective. It is hard, it does require work, and it is a step up from GCSE french. However, most of it is hard work and good motivation, you won't come across topics you don't understand.

Physics is subjective. Most people really struggle, especially at A2. There is very little work, but it is all based around knowledge and understanding of what you're studying, as well as lots of applied maths. Basically, are you science-y and taking (at least) maths A level? If so, you'd probably find physics "easier".
That link was very helpful, thanks :smile:. I am now sure that I want to do English Lit, History and Class Civ, which would be better for law; Economics or French?
Economics and French are both great for law. Do what you would enjoy more.
Original post by robotpenguin
Thanks for the great advice guys :smile:

What a-levels are essential if I want to do PPE at any university?

Some PPE courses might require or "desire" AS maths. I know Oxford in particular like maths A level for PPE.

How would you feel about maths? Maths is a subject that will always be beneficial to almost any course you want to do. Maths is not easy, but it can be rewarding.
That link was very helpful, thanks :smile:. I am now sure that I want to do English Lit, History and Class Civ, which would be better for law; Economics or French?

You seemed a little hesitant to do French or English Lit in the beginning because you didn't enjoy them as much, but now you're taking English. So maybe it'd be better to take Economics than French as you enjoy it more? :smile: Honestly, French (languages in general) are always considered fantastic, but if you don't enjoy it then go with Economics. Also, Economics is very, very well considered (so I wouldn't worry!)
Hi,

I am currently in Year 11 and will be choosing my A-Levels very shortly. I want a Law or Journalism related career.
I am currently thinking about doing:

History
Gov+Pol
Economics

The fourth option is either Technology or Class Civ

Which would be a better option? Is there any of those subjects which I shouldn't be doing? What options would be better?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :smile:

Those subjects sound good. If you wanted to do something to do with journalism then id consider doing either english language or english literature as your other option.
For English at Cambridge/UCL/Warwick...

How does English Lit, History, Drama/Theatre Studies and Sociology sound? I would definitely continue English and History to A2. Would Classical Civ be a better option than Sociology? I know it's more academically respected, but I fear it doesn't interest me so much.
Reply 2897
Original post by TheWrightStuff
For English at Cambridge/UCL/Warwick...

How does English Lit, History, Drama/Theatre Studies and Sociology sound? I would definitely continue English and History to A2. Would Classical Civ be a better option than Sociology? I know it's more academically respected, but I fear it doesn't interest me so much.

well drama/theatre studies and sociology are both alright. classical civ is deffinately better than both though. eng lit and history are both good.

from the cambridge website if you don't like science subjects and want all arts you should pick as many of these subjects as possible:

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

heres the website: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by non
well drama/theatre studies and sociology are both alright. classical civ is deffinately better than both though. eng lit and history are both good.

from the cambridge website if you don't like science subjects and want all arts you should pick as many of these subjects as possible:

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

heres the website: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Thanks! Philosophy was my initial choice over Sociology, but unfortunately it seems there aren't enough people taking up the course for me to be able to do it. I'll look into Classical Civ.
Reply 2899
Original post by TheWrightStuff
Thanks! Philosophy was my initial choice over Sociology, but unfortunately it seems there aren't enough people taking up the course for me to be able to do it. I'll look into Classical Civ.

you could choose a science or are you not as good at them?

Latest