The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Original post by alj123
Why's this? Because they're the ones you're most interested in?
Thanks for a response :smile:

No, just out of the subjects you mentioned I think it's a nice combination.

I excluded Biology because Biology on its own isn't really that useful - unless you really love it and might want to study it at university, but in that case you should take Chemistry or Maths with it. One might argue it shows diversity but it doesn't really because it's mostly rote-learning - people won't care one way or another except biologists and maybe psychologists.

I excluded English Language because English Literature is a bit more respected and I wouldn't take both because that makes your choices really narrow. You can take Language instead of Literature if you are interested in Linguistics.

I left Art, because I think it's nice to let natural talent shine. You might want to drop it after AS though because from what I hear it is a lot of work!

History, English and Spanish is a great combination for Arts, Humanities, Law. The only option I closed for you is Biology-related degrees. If that's something you want to keep open, do

Maths/Chemistry, Biology, History/English, English/Spanish
Hi! I'm thinking of doing a business or economics course in uni and i was thinking to do:
Maths
English language
Business studies
Biology
For A levels, is this a good combination and would it get me to a top university?
Tnx! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have opted to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Drama next year for AS. I have decided I don't want to do drama any more but I need a fourth A level, although I seriously can't be bothered to. I think it's obvious I like science, but I can't do psychology because of a timetable clash. I hate maths with a passion and my overall essay skills aren't the best which rules out theology or English. I'm thinking about sociology but many people hate it and say it's 'tedious'...

Any help?

Thanks!
Reply 3423
Original post by kayleigh.jean
If you're prepared to work hard and keep on top of the work, then I'd say definitely Maths; it'll be incredibly useful in Business and will look good on your CV/uni application :biggrin:

Thank you x
Original post by wingycassie
hmm,I see what you mean, psychologists as a career defo sounds more appealing to me, I cant imagine myself going into meds .I didnt apply to grammer schools, cause I cant handle the stress well :s-smilie:. My sis went to Henrietta,who is currently studying biochem in Oxford. She was originally going to take meds, I think she biology,chemistry, pure maths and arithmetic maths (?). but yh your welcome ^^. if you want to look good for unis, i advise you to take history

Sorry for the late reply went birmigham
n yh if u think phycology sounds more appealing for u go for it there's no point doing something u dnt like :smile: as for colleges isn't there a nearby college 2 u that may do economics??
N yh I think history would look more appealing but I dnt enjoy history that's y I dnt want to take it [s]confused[\s]

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC
(edited 11 years ago)
So... I'm an A/A* student at GCSE, and I'm a little unsure of my A-Level choices. I'm sure you've heard this before, but hear me out :3

I want to take:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

To move onto to do Medicine or Chem. Eng. at University. Now people refer to those four A-Levels as 'The Ballbuster', simply due to their difficultly taken together. I've done a Lang/Lit AS already so I have a taste of what that side's all about, and so I was thinking of replacing Physics with Psychology. This would give me an essay-based subject, but because I already have an AS in Lang-Lit which I'm on track to get an A or B in, I was wondering if I need this? I'll end up dropping Physics because Maths, Bio and Chem are the three required for Chem Eng. or Medicine.

Opinions or past experiences are highly appreciated!
Original post by chloe--
I'm at a crossroads with two of the four subjects I want to take. I want to do either Maths or Computing (or both) at university. I definitely want to do Maths and Further Maths at A-level, and then it's a combination of Chemistry, Computing and Physics for my other options. I don't particularly want to do five, since lots of people said it's a lot of extra work. I'm not really sure what would be the best subjects to take, especially since I'm doing Computing at GCSE too, so there could be a lot of overlap in the theory work?

I think I read somewhere that you don't need a computing A level to do it at university (which would make sense since a lot of schools don't offer it). Therefore, why don't you do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics? That way, you could do either, and keep your options open if you change your mind :smile:

Original post by AdamskiUK
So... I'm an A/A* student at GCSE, and I'm a little unsure of my A-Level choices. I'm sure you've heard this before, but hear me out :3

I want to take:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

To move onto to do Medicine or Chem. Eng. at University. Now people refer to those four A-Levels as 'The Ballbuster', simply due to their difficultly taken together. I've done a Lang/Lit AS already so I have a taste of what that side's all about, and so I was thinking of replacing Physics with Psychology. This would give me an essay-based subject, but because I already have an AS in Lang-Lit which I'm on track to get an A or B in, I was wondering if I need this? I'll end up dropping Physics because Maths, Bio and Chem are the three required for Chem Eng. or Medicine.

Opinions or past experiences are highly appreciated!

Well medicine is very competitive, so I'd say either do physics as another AS, or carry on Lang/lit in year 12 to get an A2 in it. That way you'd have either 4A2 or 3A2 and 2AS, which may strengthen your application.

I'm thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I'm predicted 6A* 5A at GCSE (however there is no way that'll happen) and I was wondering if it'd be too much work since I have 4 really tough subjects there. Any views/opinions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Original post by lizz-ie
I'm thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I'm predicted 6A* 5A at GCSE (however there is no way that'll happen) and I was wondering if it'd be too much work since I have 4 really tough subjects there. Any views/opinions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I think that you'll be fine, so long as you make sure you really keep on top of the work from the word go and stay motivated! I do Maths, did Further Maths last year, and it's not impossible to do well in it so long as you make sure you revise the topics thoroughly and do the past papers, but I don't think that the workload is too bad to be honest :smile: I don't do Chemistry and Biology, but have heard that they're considerably more difficult and require a lot more work, but all in all I don't think it'll be too much work for you, and if you do find one of them takes up too much time and you'd rather not continue then you'll always be able to drop the subject and still have 3 strong A-levels! Good luck! :biggrin:
Hi,

I'm looking at medicine but am not completely set on it, the sciences have always been my passion so I am currently thinking about natural sciences etc.

at the moment my AS options are
Biology
Chemistry
Economics
Maths

I'm wondering whether to take physics instead of economics to keep all scientific doors open.. but was wondering whether with solid science subjects I would be at a disadvantage for medicine?
I was also just wondering which is generally a better subject...

so - should I take physics or economics?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi, So after my A level's I want to go on to do an Occupational Therapy degree, I've read up that places can be hard to come by so I want to make sure I'm doing the right A levels
I'm doing
English Combined
Psychology
Sociology
Biology

I spoke to an OT who told me Sociology is important but Psychology helps as well, she also said a Science helps and I looked on the NHS website and it said you have to have a science at A level.

Is that meaning a full A level or is AS okay? Cause I'm not that good at Science, Biology is my best but in my GCSE'S I've found that Additional Biology is kind of hard, I find it complicated and I’m not sure if I could manage it. My science teacher has told me repeatedly she thinks I’d find it too hard, but she is one of those teachers who doesn’t seem to believe in students despite me getting a B in my Core Science Biology exam. I’m not saying she’s wrong, just that she underestimates people a lot.

But I am nervous about Biology A level, I know all my A levels will be a lot of work but I think science will be the hardest as I’m not really as interested in at as I am the others and to be honest I’m worried I’ll end up doing badly in it and I can’t afford to do badly in it because I really want to do the Occupational Therapy degree.

So I know I need a Science, and the OT I spoke with told me that Occupational Therapy focuses more on the Sociology than the Psychology but Psychology helps as well, and English is an essay subject, plus one I really want to do.
So do you think these A levels are okay?
I don’t know whether I should change one to History or not because History is a really respected subject but I have English which is just as essay based, would it really make a big difference?

The important thing is that the A levels I do are the right ones and that I get good enough grades to get on the course.
Because it’s hard to get on the course and universities want some evidence of experience I’m going to try asking the local hospital if it would be possible to shadow an OT for the day, to ask more questions and gain more of an insight to the job and I’m going to try and volunteer somewhere, but I don’t know where? Any suggestions?

Plus I did work experience for 2 weeks with a community mental health team, my boss was a psychiatric nurse and she has given me a good reference. My school will also probably have days/events ect for things we can add to our CV. All in all do you think with all this and my A level choices I would stand a good chance at getting on the course? Sorry this is so long, I have a lot of questions.
:smile:
Reply 3432
I've seen that English Language isn't as 'respected' as Literature, but on a list I've seen that it is for 'arts'. Does geography count as an art? Thanks :smile:
Original post by jwf13
I've seen that English Language isn't as 'respected' as Literature, but on a list I've seen that it is for 'arts'. Does geography count as an art? Thanks :smile:

yeah according to this, Geography's an art :smile:
Reply 3434
Original post by kayleigh.jean
yeah according to this, Geography's an art :smile:

Thank you, I was just wondering as some people class it as a social science :smile:
Original post by jwf13
Thank you, I was just wondering as some people class it as a social science :smile:

no problem, I think it is classed as a social science but that comes under the arts :smile:
Reply 3436
Original post by HeatherC19
Hi, So after my A level's I want to go on to do an Occupational Therapy degree, I've read up that places can be hard to come by so I want to make sure I'm doing the right A levels
I'm doing
English Combined
Psychology
Sociology
Biology

I spoke to an OT who told me Sociology is important but Psychology helps as well, she also said a Science helps and I looked on the NHS website and it said you have to have a science at A level.

Is that meaning a full A level or is AS okay? Cause I'm not that good at Science, Biology is my best but in my GCSE'S I've found that Additional Biology is kind of hard, I find it complicated and I’m not sure if I could manage it. My science teacher has told me repeatedly she thinks I’d find it too hard, but she is one of those teachers who doesn’t seem to believe in students despite me getting a B in my Core Science Biology exam. I’m not saying she’s wrong, just that she underestimates people a lot.

But I am nervous about Biology A level, I know all my A levels will be a lot of work but I think science will be the hardest as I’m not really as interested in at as I am the others and to be honest I’m worried I’ll end up doing badly in it and I can’t afford to do badly in it because I really want to do the Occupational Therapy degree.

So I know I need a Science, and the OT I spoke with told me that Occupational Therapy focuses more on the Sociology than the Psychology but Psychology helps as well, and English is an essay subject, plus one I really want to do.
So do you think these A levels are okay?
I don’t know whether I should change one to History or not because History is a really respected subject but I have English which is just as essay based, would it really make a big difference?

The important thing is that the A levels I do are the right ones and that I get good enough grades to get on the course.
Because it’s hard to get on the course and universities want some evidence of experience I’m going to try asking the local hospital if it would be possible to shadow an OT for the day, to ask more questions and gain more of an insight to the job and I’m going to try and volunteer somewhere, but I don’t know where? Any suggestions?

Plus I did work experience for 2 weeks with a community mental health team, my boss was a psychiatric nurse and she has given me a good reference. My school will also probably have days/events ect for things we can add to our CV. All in all do you think with all this and my A level choices I would stand a good chance at getting on the course? Sorry this is so long, I have a lot of questions.
:smile:

To get more of an idea with biology find out your exam board and look up the syllabus online, or maybe look at a textbook in your school. I did edexcel snab a few years ago and it had a section which was linked with psychology, about the brain etc and methods of learning. One of our courseworks was an article thing, quite wordy and less sciency. So some of itmay surprise you! There were some more technical bits you may find tricky but if you're willing to put in extra effort to keep up you should be fine.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Original post by TerribleTej
Hi, I want to do economics at university (preferably UCL, Warwick or Cambridge), for a levels I know that I need Maths, Further Maths and Economics but as my fourth choice I am currently stuck between physics and geography. Also, will it be advisable for me to drop anyone of these subjects for A2 considering some top universities tend to treat maths and further maths as one subject (or I think this is the case anyways). Atm I am expecting to get atleast 5.5A*s 4.5A's and 1B and 1C atleast but I do think that I will get more A*'s than what I think I have. So should I pick physics or geo??? Thanks!!!

Geography will probably be more relevant as you'll have to write essays and do some human geography which is kind of a social science like economics, whereas physics isn't necessary since you're already going to be getting lots of practice at maths.
Original post by danielcassim
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have opted to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Drama next year for AS. I have decided I don't want to do drama any more but I need a fourth A level, although I seriously can't be bothered to. I think it's obvious I like science, but I can't do psychology because of a timetable clash. I hate maths with a passion and my overall essay skills aren't the best which rules out theology or English. I'm thinking about sociology but many people hate it and say it's 'tedious'...

Any help?

Thanks!

Sociology is seen as a weak subject so it's not really worth having. What subjects are on offer and what else interests you? You need to do something that you'll put effort into. If you're going to end up doing science at university I can't recommend maths strongly enough - you're going to need it unfortunately.
Original post by bluelezah
Hi! I'm thinking of doing a business or economics course in uni and i was thinking to do:
Maths
English language
Business studies
Biology
For A levels, is this a good combination and would it get me to a top university?
Tnx! :smile:

You need to do economics rather than business studies, which is very easy and will not impress the top universities. Also, if you can do English literature then it will make it easier to get into uni.

Latest