The Student Room Group
louiseyoung
Hi, for my A-Levels im taking history, english lit, sociology and law.
But i dont know between Law or Philosophy and Ethics.
Which would be better? For Uni i mean?

Pleeeeease help me!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou xxx

law all the way, I do it and 100% love it.
You've got to remember loads of acts of parliament and cases etc, so consider that. If your teacher is anything like mine, he/she will take you on trips to courts, prison, talk to probation officers/lawyers/judges.:rolleyes:
Reply 2
I do law. It's easy, but rather boring at the same time. I also do History and English Literature (and Gov & Pol), with History being my favourite subject. Due to no experience with P&E, I'd recomment law, as it's not a particularly daunting subject at AS at least (I can't speak for A2, I'm onto that in Sept.)
Philosophy and ethics. It makes you think for yourself rationally, unbiased and openly! it will change you!

Law's just...you learn the facts, you write them in exam
Philosophy you gotta understand and discuss and think about it! WOO!!
Mighty Moe
I do law. It's easy, but rather boring at the same time. I also do History and English Literature (and Gov & Pol), with History being my favourite subject. Due to no experience with P&E, I'd recomment law, as it's not a particularly daunting subject at AS at least (I can't speak for A2, I'm onto that in Sept.)

What exam board are you doing law with?
Reply 5
Philosophy & Ethics. The AS is interesting, with the examination not being particularly testing. A2 is harder, but hopefully by this stage you're genuinely interested in the subject to exert that extra effort. It's a reasonably interesting course, which then allows you to think beyond the syllabus and explore other areas of philosophy, whilst acting as a fairly decent introduction.
Reply 6
pinda.college
What exam board are you doing law with?

OCR
Reply 7
I dont know which id be better at, cos ive never done either of them untill now :frown:
Im getting an A grade in GCSE RE though.
Im not really sure what grade i can get though :frown:
Im a general hardworker, so im sure i can do well :smile:
Reply 8
Philosophy & Ethics FTW!
I love Augustine from the Problem of Evil. :love:
Philosophy and Ethics for the win. As opposed to Law, it has never been blacklisted by universities. That, and it's really interesting. Certainly opened up my philosophical knowledge quite considerably. :awesome:
Reply 10
I haven't done Law but I've heard from people it's just learning case after case and it's tedious.

Yes, sometimes Philosophy and Ethics can be a bit tedious and boring too, but it's generally enjoyable. I'm continuing with it at uni, where it's more argument skill based rather than reeling out loads of facts and opinions of philosophers.
Philosophy and Ethics. I believe law is a semi-blacklisted subject are the more prestigious institutions.
invictus_veritas
Philosophy and Ethics. I believe law is a semi-blacklisted subject are the more prestigious institutions.

Actually, law is a very prestigious subject... for post-grads.

POW:p:
forsaken_earth
Actually, law is a very prestigious subject... for post-grads.

POW:p:

yes but she was talking about A level law right? :P

ahh you haven't been on skype yet, did you get my add? I added two people with your name after you emailed me on facebook but haven't seen you appear online at all. It would be good to catch up, but a shame you're not in London for a while. When do you return?
invictus_veritas
yes but she was talking about A level law right? :P

ahh you haven't been on skype yet, did you get my add? I added two people with your name after you emailed me on facebook but haven't seen you appear online at all. It would be good to catch up, but a shame you're not in London for a while. When do you return?

i have been out in the russian wilderness with no internet access and i'm about to return there once more however next week potentially monday i will add youuuu
not back to london town for a while im afraid
I believe that philosophy and ethics is more respectable from a universities point of view.

Latest