The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrVee
They emailed me day after I did the verbal to invite me to do the numerical.
Found out almost a week later that Ive passed both the tests and have a first interview. Phew!

Congratulations thats brilliant! How soon is it, let us know how it goes! The verbal was fine, but now I have been asked to do the numerical this is where it all goes wrong!
Reply 3981
Has anyone else being asked to do the Davies Arnold Cooper verbal test?

I've only ever done an SHL one, what are the Kenexa like?
Reply 3982
Original post by Gunned

Original post by Gunned

I did that yesterday...it's pretty easy tbh...just a case of reading a passage and deducing whether a piece of info is true, false or cannot say. I don't know why they asked me to do it though, I've already told them I can't do their vac scheme because it clashes with BLP!
Reply 3983
Original post by cros

Hey any news from Vinson? The last interviews were yesterday :/
Reply 3984
Original post by TomWest

Original post by TomWest
Hey any news from Vinson? The last interviews were yesterday :/

No not yet :frown: They did say two weeks though...I hope we hear today/tomorrow, I did really like them! Have you heard?
Reply 3985
Wow, haven't been on here for a few days... can't believe the 'of course/ofcourse' and 'in fact/ infact' debate went on so long.... lightly worrying that there was a debate to start with, but there you go!

Anyone heard from Capsticks or HBJ yet? I spoke to them and they said in the next couple of weeks... about 2 weeks ago. Let the nail-biting recommence..
Reply 3986
Original post by Gunned

Yeah, I got an email. I've got an essay on atm, so I'll do it within the next week or so.
Reply 3987
Original post by ACC13
Wow, haven't been on here for a few days... can't believe the 'of course/ofcourse' and 'in fact/ infact' debate went on so long.... lightly worrying that there was a debate to start with, but there you go!

Anyone heard from Capsticks or HBJ yet? I spoke to them and they said in the next couple of weeks... about 2 weeks ago. Let the nail-biting recommence..

Is that Capsticks post-interview, or just application? I applied to Capsticks but didn't hear anything from them. I applied in like November... But i did hear a rumour that they only contact successful applicants so that may be why :s-smilie:
Reply 3988
Original post by cros
No not yet :frown: They did say two weeks though...I hope we hear today/tomorrow, I did really like them! Have you heard?

No not yet :frown:
Same here, I loved the firm and tbh haven't felt like that with any other firms I have been to. I have to move on with my revision and any news would help..
Reply 3989
woop! Interview at HBJ on May 9th!
Reply 3990
Anyone know anything about open days at Magic Circle firms, specifically Freshfields and Linklaters? They don't interview for them, do they?
Reply 3991
I've got an interview with HBJ in early May, anyone else?
Reply 3992
Original post by hmaus

A highlight today was something like (rough translation) "my office experience with relevant knowledge from all areas of the security industry along with my positive business school diploma, current english certificate and valid gun licence motivate me to seize my dream job" ... WTF :eek:

Haha that gave me a giggle, images of a person getting so many PFOs they think mentioning the gun will help, lol.
Reply 3993
Original post by stalky234
Do you take everything you read at face value, or do you have the ability to understand concepts?

concept 1: The word 'perhaps' might provide you with some kind of understanding that I did not say it was undeniably 'the most competitive career'.

concept 2: If you think that basic spelling is not a pre-requisite for a career in law, then you are very much mistaken.

oh and concept 3....Lighten the hell up

But you said it was possibly the most competitive career which is simply not the case...

Basic spelling clearly is a pre-requisite for a career in law, I didn't deny that. But two things - I doubt the word 'weird' comes up often in formal legal documents. Secondly, this is TSR, not an application form, nor a letter/document from a law firm. I really don't think it matters on TSR...
Reply 3994
Original post by llriver
For all those still waiting don't give up hope!!

After 7 weeks!! yes SEVEN. withers rang me up to offer me a place on the summer scheme... I was completely surprised as I assumed it was just a polite feedback rejection phonecall. Really really happy as I loved the firm and now I can experience a good mix of corporate/commercial with my first vac scheme and family/private client with withers.
I know there were a couple of others waiting for ages for withers hope you hear soon with good news too!

Yay! Well done!! What scheme are you doing?
Reply 3995
Is anyone else doing the Dechert scheme next week?
Reply 3996
Original post by geetar
I've got an interview with HBJ in early May, anyone else?

Yup = when's yours? I've got 1.30 pm on May 9th.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3997
Original post by H.S.M
Anyone know anything about open days at Magic Circle firms, specifically Freshfields and Linklaters? They don't interview for them, do they?

No I'm pretty sure they don't - just a case of an online application.
When do firms generally ask people to start applying for open days? I'm assuming it will be around the same time as the vac scheme apps (Oct-Dec)?
Reply 3999
Original post by H.S.M

I know that FF do interview - I got mine just based on a personal statement and telephone interview

I'm done with vac scheme apps now - I'm on Jones Day, O'Melveny, Shearman & Sterling and Debevoise
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending