The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by peachmelba
well done on the offers. In terms of value, it depends where you see yourself applying for TCs and a trade off against time taken out of uni/study time. In your shoes, i guess the lovells open day might be the one i'd drop. on the other hand, you might end up gagging for lovells like someone on in my GDL class.

I did the Freshfields winter workshop and really enjoyed the experience but it was my first "in office" encounter with big law.

The other people on the workshop were quite Oxbridge heavy, so the "supper" (we still call it tea up north) did divide on those grounds (a fair bit of braying oh you're at z college you must know x! no! I row with her!). the rest of us at the far end of the table having a good time were from places like york, birmingham and exeter. probably typical of any MC firm but this wasn't true to the same extent at a HS open day i attended.

Maybe that sounds a bit chippy but I offer it in light of your comment about the less than supportive atmosphere you find at uni.

It was an intense couple of days, magnified by having the flu. I would do it again.

I would definitely have applied for a TC there based on the workshop had I not got lucky with an earlier application.

good luck

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. Do you have any vague idea how many people were at the Freshfields event when you were there? Was it a small number (eg 10) or did they accept loads of students?
I've just recieved my 7th or 8th rejection. Perhaps it's a sign?
Reply 582
Original post by The Lyceum

I don't think so. Rejections are normal. If you are a solid candidate, just stick with it and it should eventually happen.

I have so far received 4 rejections and one offer to interview with a SC firm. The other firms have not got back to me yet.

Regardless, my point is you only really need that ONE offer in the end.
Reply 583

Is it a sign that you aren't good enough for these firms? No. Stick with it.

Is it a sign that you might not have maximised the opportunities within the application forms for you to show that you are good enough? possibly. Make some changes, it can't do any harm.

You received a rejection on a weekend? I thought we were safe then... :frown:
Reply 585
Original post by Frances99
Jairaj - congratulations on all of those offers! When did Simmons get in touch with you? I applied last Tuesday but haven't heard anything apart from that they've received my application.

I'm really thinking about doing my training contract in Bristol so I'm hoping to get a vacation scheme placement there (as well as, ideally, one in London to compare the two). I've put together a list of ones to apply to but I was wondering if I'm missing anyone from my list. Here it is:

Bevan Brittan LLP
Bond Pearce LLP
Burges Salmon
CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
Clarke Willmott
Osborne Clarke
Pinsent Masons
TLT Solicitors
Veale Wasbrough Vizards

Beachcroft LLP told me that they would prefer I waited until I was on the GDL before applying for a vac. scheme and Ashfords didn't seem like the right fit for me.

I heard back about two weeks ago- and I applied at the start of October(they interviewed me 5 weeks ago) Good luck with it!
Reply 586
Original post by Who'd_Have_Known
You received a rejection on a weekend? I thought we were safe then... :frown:

LOL apparently not
Reply 587
Original post by Jairaj
LOL apparently not

I heard from A&O on a Saturday morning so weekends definitely aren't safe.

I'm up to three rejections now. I've realised I'm only waiting on two now and a selective open day so perhaps it's a sign I should put in a few more applications. I'm just not sure what I need to do differently! Would anyone with an offer of a vacation scheme (or at least an interview) mind sharing one of their successful forms with me? If not, I'm happy to share one of my unsuccessful ones for your opinion. I believe my grades, extra-curricular activities, and non-legal work experience are acceptable but I have a feeling I'm not selling myself the way I should. Alternatively, my lack of legal work experience might be letting me down but I've a feeling that it might just be that I'm not answering the questions the 'right' way.
Reply 588
I spoke too soon - make that four rejections... Two of them received in the last fifteen minutes! Good thing I'm developing a thick skin about these things.
Reply 589
I spoke too soon - make that four rejections... Two of them received in the last fifteen minutes! Good thing I'm developing a thick skin about these things.

which selective open day were you applying for?
Develop a thick skin but also be self critical, and ask yourself why they might have rejected you. When Links rejected me without an interview I went back and read the form I sent off to them- it was awful, totally rushed and not tailored to the firm. So now I know where I went wrong and what to correct for next time. Good luck.
Reply 590
I heard from A&O on a Saturday morning so weekends definitely aren't safe.

I'm up to three rejections now. I've realised I'm only waiting on two now and a selective open day so perhaps it's a sign I should put in a few more applications. I'm just not sure what I need to do differently! Would anyone with an offer of a vacation scheme (or at least an interview) mind sharing one of their successful forms with me? If not, I'm happy to share one of my unsuccessful ones for your opinion. I believe my grades, extra-curricular activities, and non-legal work experience are acceptable but I have a feeling I'm not selling myself the way I should. Alternatively, my lack of legal work experience might be letting me down but I've a feeling that it might just be that I'm not answering the questions the 'right' way.

Hey, which ones where the rejections from if you don't mind me asking? I had fair success getting interviews, so if I can find them, can pm you forms from travers, norton rose, jones day, and links that got through. Although having said that all but on of those got rejected at interview and and there are a good few more that got straight rejections ....
Reply 591
Original post by jasonm
Hey, which ones where the rejections from if you don't mind me asking? I had fair success getting interviews, so if I can find them, can pm you forms from travers, norton rose, jones day, and links that got through. Although having said that all but on of those got rejected at interview and and there are a good few more that got straight rejections ....

I'm waiting to hear from Baker & McKenzie. I applied in October for their open day in December but I've not heard from them yet. Their web site says they are no longer accepting applications so I assume that I have either been unsuccessful or that I will hear soon. A friend who attended last year sent me his application and, with that as a guide to what to discuss, I wrote mine accordingly.

I have been rejected from A&O, Bristows, Herbert Smith, and Simmons & Simmons so far. Bristows and A&O were the first applications I did and I have certainly improved my technique since then. In some ways, those rejections were to be expected. I think it was the tests for HS that let me down. I'm perhaps most disappointed by the Simmons rejection as I thought I had improved my application a lot these last few weeks but obviously I have a long way to go! I'd be really grateful if you could send me some of your applications!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 592
I'm waiting to hear from Baker & McKenzie. I applied in October for their open day in December but I've not heard from them yet. Their web site says they are no longer accepting applications so I assume that I have either been unsuccessful or that I will hear soon. A friend who attended last year sent me his application and, with that as a guide to what to discuss, I wrote mine accordingly.

I have been rejected from A&O, Bristows, Herbert Smith, and Simmons & Simmons so far. Bristows and A&O were the first applications I did and I have certainly improved my technique since then. In some ways, those rejections were to be expected. I think it was the tests for HS that let me down. I'm perhaps most disappointed by the Simmons rejection as I thought I had improved my application a lot these last few weeks but obviously I have a long way to go! I'd be really grateful if you could send me some of your applications!

Hmmm, I heard back from Bakers regarding the December open day weeks ago. I don't want to sound pessimistic but they have almost certainly filled up all the places by now. Saying that, I told them I wasn't able to go to it (because of a clash with my vac scheme), so maybe they will give you my place! :smile: Good luck
Reply 593
Ah, yes, that's what I thought. Thanks for letting me know!
Reply 594
Has anybody heard from Dentons yet? Frances, we seem to be very similar in terms of where we applied and where we have received rejections! I just got my Bristows PFO this morning too :frown: However I'm telling myself that this is because I'm not a scientist! Are you at COL Bristol on the GDL- I'm on the 2 day option (just seen that you are looking at Bristol firms so wondered!)
Reply 595
Original post by sweep182
Has anybody heard from Dentons yet? Frances, we seem to be very similar in terms of where we applied and where we have received rejections! I just got my Bristows PFO this morning too :frown: However I'm telling myself that this is because I'm not a scientist! Are you at COL Bristol on the GDL- I'm on the 2 day option (just seen that you are looking at Bristol firms so wondered!)

I'm planning to start the GDL in September. :smile: I'm not sure where yet though. How are you finding CoL, Bristol? I'm looking at Bristol firms as I'm from South Wales and want to live closer to home. I've spent the last few years studying and now working in the East of England so I'm ready for a change!
Reply 596
I'm planning to start the GDL in September. :smile: I'm not sure where yet though. How are you finding CoL, Bristol? I'm looking at Bristol firms as I'm from South Wales and want to live closer to home. I've spent the last few years studying and now working in the East of England so I'm ready for a change!

Hi, You've definitely made the right decision to wait before starting the GDL as it's a nightmare doing all the forms and studying! The college is good. The careers dept are helpful and we are having a lot of talks by firms in Bristol and some outside (Baker McKenzie are coming in to do a workshop next week).

Good luck with the rest of your applications! I'm waiting on two more apps for winter stuff and then will move onto spring :frown: !
Reply 597
Doing all the forms and working is pretty tricky too but worth it in the end, I hope!
Reply 598
I heart my Baker McKenzie flask...:smile:

Am aiming to get my Walker Morris application down to a tee tonight before the Irwin Mitchell applications open (need to get that in early as they recruit on a rolling basis!). Have a snow day tomorrow so I should make use of it really.

Has anybody here applied to Cobbetts for an office open day and have you had a reply yet? I got an email saying 'come and meet us' a few hours after I applied- when I opened it I saw...'thank you for meeting us at the law fair today blah blah blah'...:frown: (signed up for their mailing list)
Reply 599
Hey everyone, I was hoping for someone's perspective on a little problem.

I'm just finishing my application to A&O. I've just done the answer for "Please explain why you should be offered a training contract at Allen & Overy LLP?" The approach I took was to describe my qualities and how they fit with A&O.

However, the next question is :"If you are offered a training contract, please explain what you would personally bring to the firm and why this would be of value to Allen & Overy LLP."

Is it just me or are these questions largely the same? If they're asking me what qualities I could bring in the latter question I assume they are looking for something other than my qualities for why I should be offered a TC? Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending