The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by hmaus
Aw :frown: bad luck (and a bit mean right before Christmas!)

I was just thinking that- what kind of cold hearted recruiter would send rejections two days before christmas. I guess it is just their job, but still, its quite brutal!
Reply 981
Original post by Jairaj
or they could have just already filled up their spaces. Don't be disheartened!

x

Original post by hmaus
Aw :frown: bad luck (and a bit mean right before Christmas!)

Thanks for the kind words, guys! To be honest with you, I don't think they've filled their spaces already... Plus, they don't consider you for a TC n the same year, so I can wave goodbye to BLP for now.

On the other hand, I was thinking, if it could be that they might sometimes reject people who they think might end up at other firms instead? For example, I am a Herbert Smith campus manager and I also mentioned my forthcoming VS too. The rest of my CV is also fairly strong. Just a thought, anyway. Please don't take it a sign of arrogance because it certainly isn't that at all!

P.S. Mind you, my CV and my personal statement were good enough for them to accept me for their open day!
(edited 13 years ago)
Another mini-pupillage offer. This time with a top ranking family set.

;=)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 983
Congrats Lawstude!
Reply 984
Original post by Lawstude

;=)

Congratulations!!!
Reply 985
Original post by hmaus
Could be the case - it does make sense that they would recruit people for their VS who would be likely to want to go on to a TC with them and who really give the impression that BLP is their top choice.

Sometimes there is really no way of knowing what's going through the recruiters' minds!

In fact, if you apply for BLP's VS, you also have to apply for a TC simultaneously - they don't really give you a choice. So they definitely have a long term view in mind.
Reply 986
Original post by Lawstude

;=)

congrats, enjoy it- they are great fun. During my mini pupillage the defendant tried to break out of the dock and beat up the jury/judge!
Original post by Jairaj
congrats, enjoy it- they are great fun. During my mini pupillage the defendant tried to break out of the dock and beat up the jury/judge!

Lol.
Reply 988
Just heard from 2 more people at Oxford who received offers from Ashurst today :smile:
Original post by eve_22
Thanks for the kind words, guys! To be honest with you, I don't think they've filled their spaces already... Plus, they don't consider you for a TC n the same year, so I can wave goodbye to BLP for now.

On the other hand, I was thinking, if it could be that they might sometimes reject people who they think might end up at other firms instead? For example, I am a Herbert Smith campus manager and I also mentioned my forthcoming VS too. The rest of my CV is also fairly strong. Just a thought, anyway. Please don't take it a sign of arrogance because it certainly isn't that at all!

P.S. Mind you, my CV and my personal statement were good enough for them to accept me for their open day!

More likely: you were autofiltered out. Something you entered in your application led to you being automatically filtered out before someone even read your application. Examples of filtering could be 1) Checking someone is a final year non-law 2) checking specific grade requirements are met etc. Point is when you receive a rejection as quickly as that, it's very unlikely that someone actually looked at your application.
Reply 990
Original post by hmaus
Wah :frown: Places filling up and I haven't heard anything! Desperately crossing my fingers...

I read their "how to get into Ashurst" thing on Chambers and wondered whether I talked too much about myself and maybe not enough about why Ashurst in particular (rather than any other international city firm). Eve and anyone else with a place, did you write loads of Ashurst-specific stuff in yours? I'm wondering whether I should have done. Anyway, can't change it now, and maybe they will still give me a Christmas eve surprise... :s-smilie:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, hmaus!!!

I wrote approximately 2 paragraphs on why Ashurst and one on 'why law and another one on why I would suit the firm. I think when it comes to them there's no one single right approach though, so I wouldn't worry just yet.
Reply 991
Original post by Prince of Zamunda
More likely: you were autofiltered out. Something you entered in your application led to you being automatically filtered out before someone even read your application. Examples of filtering could be 1) Checking someone is a final year non-law 2) checking specific grade requirements are met etc. Point is when you receive a rejection as quickly as that, it's very unlikely that someone actually looked at your application.

That's odd! I wonder what it could have been... I seem to have fit all of the criteria specified.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up; it's good to know this was the likeliest possibility.
Reply 992
Original post by hmaus
Wah :frown: Places filling up and I haven't heard anything! Desperately crossing my fingers...

I read their "how to get into Ashurst" thing on Chambers and wondered whether I talked too much about myself and maybe not enough about why Ashurst in particular (rather than any other international city firm). Eve and anyone else with a place, did you write loads of Ashurst-specific stuff in yours? I'm wondering whether I should have done. Anyway, can't change it now, and maybe they will still give me a Christmas eve surprise... :s-smilie:

I just rephrased all the rhetoric from their grad recruitment website about being a friendly firm, and mentioned that I am interested in their infrastructure/construction department, especially since it is working on the Crossrail project in London, something which I am genuinely excited about.
Original post by andymt
I just rephrased all the rhetoric from their grad recruitment website about being a friendly firm, and mentioned that I am interested in their infrastructure/construction department, especially since it is working on the Crossrail project in London, something which I am genuinely excited about.

Who gets excited about the building of a railway line? :confused:
Reply 994

Someone who has to stand and get a face full of sweaty armpits every time he takes the train
Reply 995
Im still waiting to hear from Ashurst. I applied on December 13th but I'm not holding out too much hope. My covering letter was far too vague, think I should have spent more time over it. It's one of the first applications I have made so hopefully I will get better with practice!
Reply 996

Train watchers?
Reply 997
Original post by Laura84
Im still waiting to hear from Ashurst. I applied on December 13th but I'm not holding out too much hope. My covering letter was far too vague, think I should have spent more time over it. It's one of the first applications I have made so hopefully I will get better with practice!

I applied on the 10th, so you'll probably hear very soon. Best of Luck!!
xx
Reply 998
Original post by Jairaj
I applied on the 10th, so you'll probably hear very soon. Best of Luck!!
xx

Thanks :smile: I hate waiting and its not really been that long since I applied when you consider that some firms take months to get back to applicants! I'm just too impatient.
Reply 999
"Exclusive - Woeful retention rate for Hogan Lovells
17 December 2010
Rate it0
Hogan Lovells is set to lose a swathe of its next qualifying class. It looks like at least a third of March 2011 qualifiers will march out the minty green doors of Atlantic House for the final time in the spring.

Sources at the firm told RollOnFriday that only 16 of the 36-strong cohort had been offered jobs in the first round of the process. Although it's important to note that this won't be completed until late January and there are still another eight jobs to be handed out between the 20 remaining nervous final-seat trainees. Who can expect - at best - a job in their second or third choice department. Or at worst, a poorly-attended leaving bash in March.

Trainee retention rates have been spiraling at the firm, despite the improvement in the market. In March 2010 the firm kept on 81% of its NQs, in September this had fallen to 71% and by next March it will be 66% at best. Not good. And this comes on top of a cull of four tax associates only a few weeks ago." - quoted from Roll on Friday.
Thoughts? Worrying, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending