The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

sandy81
Hi All,

I need your advice. There is this question on one of the forms which asks the following: 'Why are you interested in pursuing a career at an international law firm?' Any advice you provide would be much obliged.

Thanks

Hahaha! No, we are not going to fill in your application form for you :p: ok, maybe someone else might be angelic enough to but definitely not me, lol.

Seriously though, just answer the question? If they asked you this in an interview would you say 'Hold on a second' and ask TSR for advice?

If you don't know why you want to work in an international law firm, then maybe you should think about it first before applying. It would just be plain wrong if we gave you our reasons as they wouldn't be yours. So just put yours (but if your reasons are something like, I wanna make lots of money, don't put that in obviously. put in what you think the firm would want to hear. and you can find this out by doing research on the firm.)
Reply 121
Have so far sent a VS application to DLA Piper and completed one for Norton Rose. Good luck everyone
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 122
maghreblover
Hahaha! No, we are not going to fill in your application form for you :p: ok, maybe someone else might be angelic enough to but definitely not me, lol.

Seriously though, just answer the question? If they asked you this in an interview would you say 'Hold on a second' and ask TSR for advice?

If you don't know why you want to work in an international law firm, then maybe you should think about it first before applying. It would just be plain wrong if we gave you our reasons as they wouldn't be yours. So just put yours (but if your reasons are something like, I wanna make lots of money, don't put that in obviously. put in what you think the firm would want to hear. and you can find this out by doing research on the firm.)

There is no need for playground sarcasm if you have nothing positive to say then do not say anything :wink:
I wondered is anyone able to tell me the questions on the Hogan Lovells form? It's hard to prepare answers in advance because the layout of the form means you can only go on to the next question when you've saved your answer to the previous question!
sandy81
There is no need for playground sarcasm if you have nothing positive to say then do not say anything :wink:

The thing is...I wasn't being sarcastic :dontknow:

And I did say something positive, I said you should simply answer the questions with YOUR reasons (which is what they asked for), obviously only the reasons they would want to hear, and within the context of research you've done on the firm. Simples. :p:
Hi, I'm about to start my 1st year of law at york just wondered if anyone had ay tips for my first year.

Obviously good grades are a must and mooting is a good idea but are any other activities particularly useful? (sports/writing?) I already have a couple of weeks work experience under my belt - nothing serious though! Are any vac schemes open to first years? Or am I better off just getting as much unofficial work experience as I can and waiting until my second year?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 126
maghreblover
The thing is...I wasn't being sarcastic :dontknow:

And I did say something positive, I said you should simply answer the questions with YOUR reasons (which is what they asked for), obviously only the reasons they would want to hear, and within the context of research you've done on the firm. Simples. :p:

Sorry if I misunderstood your response. The problem I have with this question is whether to write about why I want to work for an international law firm in general or do I need to focus on why I want to work for the firm in question. :confused: `
sandy81

Sorry if I misunderstood your response. The problem I have with this question is whether to write about why I want to work for an international law firm in general or do I need to focus on why I want to work for the firm in question. :confused: `

Depends. On some apps they would ask you why you want to pursue a career in law and another question tends to ask why you want to work in the particular firm. So your answer to this would depend on the other questions.

If there's another asking specifically about the firm, then on this one concentrate on why you want a career in law, and not just law but in an international law firm, so you'd need to consider the pros of working in a huge international firm as well.

If there's no other question asking specifically why you want to work in the firm, or why you'd make a good solicitor at the firm, then you should show in this question why you want to work for an international law firm AND link it to the firm you're applying to. I would say about 70:30 focus on those respectively, since the question does specifically ask 'an international law firm', and part of a test in the application process is how well we can actually answer the questions asked.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 128
tgb123
Have so far sent a VC application to DLA Piper and completed one for Norton Rose. Good luck everyone

What on earth is a VC?:rolleyes: :p:
Reply 129
Lell

Ha! This doesn't bode well for the applications...
Lell

Vacation contract, perhaps? :biggrin:

Haha, It was probably just a typographical error though.
Has anyone does the Herbert Smith logical reasoning test? It was bloody hard! Also, on some apps there is one compulsory referee and one optional one. Do you think it will reflect less well on you if you only put one referee down?
Reply 132
billybob13
Has anyone does the Herbert Smith logical reasoning test? It was bloody hard! Also, on some apps there is one compulsory referee and one optional one. Do you think it will reflect less well on you if you only put one referee down?

It was terribly hard, indeed.

I've only put down one referee.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 133
Ah about to send off my first application (for a TC, did a VS there this year)...scary :s-smilie: (tis a regional firm with a December deadline)
Reply 134
Lell
Ah about to send off my first application (for a TC, did a VS there this year)...scary :s-smilie: (tis a regional firm with a December deadline)

Good luck:smile:
Reply 135
trollman
Hi, I'm about to start my 1st year of law at york just wondered if anyone had ay tips for my first year.

Obviously good grades are a must and mooting is a good idea but are any other activities particularly useful? (sports/writing?) I already have a couple of weeks work experience under my belt - nothing serious though! Are any vac schemes open to first years? Or am I better off just getting as much unofficial work experience as I can and waiting until my second year?

Thanks in advance.

In terms of legal experience, you can attend first year open days (DLA Piper, Freshfields, Herbert Smith, Lovells and many more firms have them), apply for workshops at CC... Do some research and lots of stuff will come up. Otherwise, just do what you really enjoy and can talk passionately about in your interviews.
Reply 136
sandy81
Good luck:smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm now picking apart all the things I said in my application...and what I didn't say. Argh. Shouldn't torture myself like this! :smile:
Reply 137
Lell
Thanks :smile: I'm now picking apart all the things I said in my application...and what I didn't say. Argh. Shouldn't torture myself like this! :smile:

No you should definitely not torture yourself because whats done is done. I am sure you have completed the application to perfection. :yep:
Reply 138
eve_22
In terms of legal experience, you can attend first year open days (DLA Piper, Freshfields, Herbert Smith, Lovells and many more firms have them), apply for workshops at CC... Do some research and lots of stuff will come up. Otherwise, just do what you really enjoy and can talk passionately about in your interviews.

Eve has given you some great information here.

Another law firm that does an Open Day is SNR Denton.

Check out Target Chances too as they offer a few law events.

Good luck with it all! :smile:
Reply 139
Got a mail from the lawyer2B event confirming registration. It says they would contact me later with joining instructions and a detailed booking form - so not sure if this is the acceptance email...

Anyone else heard back from them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending