The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by hingus2000
So this thread has plenty of discussion about applications etc (unsurprising bearing in-mind the title I suppose), but I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites/blogs/threads in which people have actually reviewed their time ON a VS?

It seems the amount of candid info as to what goes on in those important 2/3 weeks is fairly limited!

InsideBuzz, Lex100 and ChambersStudentGuide are probably the closest to what you are looking for.

EDIT: On re-reading the question, I've realised you are actually looking for an outline of what happens on a vac scheme. Have a look here - I am guessing most MC/SC firms will have a similar structure schemes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by eve_22
InsideBuzz, Lex100 and ChambersStudentGuide are probably the closest to what you are looking for.

EDIT: On re-reading the question, I've realised you are actually looking for an outline of what happens on a vac scheme. Have a look here - I am guessing most MC/SC firms will have a similar structure schemes.

Cheers Eve.

I guess what I am getting at is more something written by a student who did a scheme. Perhaps a little more insight, as in the types of people who did well, the people to speak to, the success rate etc. Not dissimilar to when people come on this thread and talk about how an interview went. Just candid information from a real person, as opposed to the official blurb!
Reply 1382
Original post by hingus2000
Cheers Eve.

I guess what I am getting at is more something written by a student who did a scheme. Perhaps a little more insight, as in the types of people who did well, the people to speak to, the success rate etc. Not dissimilar to when people come on this thread and talk about how an interview went. Just candid information from a real person, as opposed to the official blurb!

There was a thread on TSR not so long ago where Chalks gave his outline of what happens on a vac scheme, as did some other people. Have a little search, it should be easy to find.
Reply 1383
The CC deadline has officially passed so I presume they will now let me know whether I have passed the SJT I took 10 days ago :O! I keep freaking out thinking they will make me do it again and I don't remember my answers the first time around :s!
Reply 1384
Gloomy monday morning starts with a rejection from Simmons & Simmons :frown: 1/3 of apps rejected...

How important are vac schemes and other forms of experience? I've not began University yet but im worried about the lack of experience under my belt! If aiming for the city, would experience at high street firms be irrelevant?
Rejected from Simmons & Simmons after Assessment Centre! Really gutted because was told by my interviewer that it was 'an exceptional interview'.so was very pleased but clearly the weight given to doc exercise and watson test is considerable...was surprised to find 80 questions on watson test when practice test consists of around 20??! Am now quite frustrated with the whole process...performance at interview certainly doesn't always count for very much! Most irritating thing is no feedback has been provided...feels like a waste of time :frown: Just received another generic email :s-smilie:
Original post by TheCount.
How important are vac schemes and other forms of experience? I've not began University yet but im worried about the lack of experience under my belt! If aiming for the city, would experience at high street firms be irrelevant?

Relax. Get good A-Levels - that has to be your number one priority for now. Or if you already have them, well done.

If through a friend of the family (etc) you can get some informal legal work experience - great. But at this early stage, you don't really need to worry.

Think in general terms about how your application is going to look in 3/4 years. Do you have extra-curriculars? Any 'real' work experience (aka a job)? Any volunteering? Travel?

My best advice to any school leaver at the moment would be go out and have fun - in a way that can be later incorporated into an application. So work a few jobs, save a bit of cash, travel! Just show some initiative, but at the same time remember you have to keep living your life! I'd worry for anyone who is basing their life as a 17/18 year old solely around a future VC/TC app. The candidates who stand out IMO are those who have done these extra-curriculars/life experiences, not for the sake of the application, but because it is something they have actually wanted to do.

Always wanted to see Easter Island? Earn some cash, go visit it. Tell that story in 4 years time and you will stand out far more than someone who dragged themselves through something boring because they felt they had to!

Apologies for the rant!
Reply 1388
Has anyone heard from White & Case by now?
Original post by michelle346
Rejected from Simmons & Simmons after Assessment Centre! Really gutted because was told by my interviewer that it was 'an exceptional interview'.so was very pleased but clearly the weight given to doc exercise and watson test is considerable...was surprised to find 80 questions on watson test when practice test consists of around 20??! Am now quite frustrated with the whole process...performance at interview certainly doesn't always count for very much! Most irritating thing is no feedback has been provided...feels like a waste of time :frown: Just received another generic email :s-smilie:

Ahh sorry to hear that, particularly after they got your hopes up! How long did they take to get back to you after the assessment day? I've got one this week and am worried now! Hope all your other applications are going ok :smile:
Reply 1390
anyone had an interview with snr denton yet??
Reply 1391
Received an invitation to complete Baker & McKenzie's psychometric test. Their assessment centres are apparently scheduled to take place from 18 January until end of February.
Original post by eve_22
Received an invitation to complete Baker & McKenzie's psychometric test. Their assessment centres are apparently scheduled to take place from 18 January until end of February.

I've just received that too! I'll do it tomorrow when I'm slightly less tired and stressed!
Reply 1393
Congrats :smile:

I haven't heard anything. I guess that's bad news then if their assessment centres already start next week.
Maybe it's because I applied for the international scheme? -.-
Reply 1394
Original post by eve_22

Well done! I'm so jealous - I applied really early and have heard nothing :frown:! What's their psychometric test like out of interest? Good luck x
Reply 1395
Original post by Lightyear
I've just received that too! I'll do it tomorrow when I'm slightly less tired and stressed!

That's great! Do you know if it's a VS reasoning from SHL?
Reply 1396
mayer brown have offered me an interview, but I cannot remember what I've applied for (whether it is an easter or summer scheme). It doesn't say on my application form, should I ask them? Or would this give a really bad impression (I think the answer is probably yes it would). Does anyone have any experience with this law firm? Thoughts?
Well done to those who have achieved invitations, commiserations to those who got just rejections. Regarding Simmons- I know for certainty that if you do not achieve their pass mark of 80% or above on the Watson Glacer Test you are immediately rejected, no matter how well you did in the other assessments.
Reply 1397
Original post by QBC123
Well done! I'm so jealous - I applied really early and have heard nothing :frown:! What's their psychometric test like out of interest? Good luck x

Thanks. I don't think you should worry about not hearing from them yet - they are assessing all the way until late February. I applied on 4 October, I think, so quite early too.

Original post by Carlaaaa
Congrats :smile:

I haven't heard anything. I guess that's bad news then if their assessment centres already start next week.
Maybe it's because I applied for the international scheme? -.-

As above ^^ You've got plenty of time left in which you could hear with good news!
Original post by eve_22
That's great! Do you know if it's a VS reasoning from SHL?

Err I'm not actually sure! It says a verbal reasoning test and I think in the link they sent I think it says SHL somewhere so I think it may be
Reply 1399
Original post by hmaus
Nice one :smile: I guess these dates are just for the VS ACs?

Thank you :smile:. I'd think so, although I can't say for sure.

Original post by hmaus
Would be grateful for any info on their psychometric tests when you do them as Baker is one of my favourites.

Absolutely, will post feedback on here in a couple of days, once I sit the test. I really like Bakers too - I met their trainees and GR team and I've organised a couple of events, all sponsored by the firm - they are a bunch of really lovely people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending