The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by eve_22
A&O is an odd firm, as far as I can tell - they've rejected pretty much everyone I know, including a guy who got vac scheme and subsequently TC offers with 3 MC firms. I don't know what they are looking for in the applicants; although I don't want to work for them, it'd still be nice to find out! :confused:

good lad. Thought you'd do well!
Reply 1581
Original post by hmaus
Nice one Eve, congrats! :smile:

Original post by sulpicia
good lad. Thought you'd do well!

Thanks guys! :smile:

I have to say, this must be the nicest and most supportive TSR group there ever was! :smile:
Reply 1582
I met two Allen and ovary trainees at my ac last week

I was immediately and hate to say this disappointed with following a 20 min chat their lack of good personal skills confidence and intellect. They seemed more to be the "rugger lads" and classic "ditsy" blondes than I would have expected from a mc firm

Sorry if this sounds offensive but someone asked what they may be looking for and I stated my judgement on the 2 trainees I met
Reply 1583
Original post by raption
Hogan Lovells rejection without interview

:frown:

contests to eve_22 xx

Sorry lol meant to say earlier congratulations to eve22 dam the predictive text on this ipad
:smile::smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1584
Original post by raption
Sorry lol meant to say earlier contests to eve22 dam the predictive text on this ipad
:smile::smile:

Lol no worries :smile: I sort of figured it out, anyway :smile:

Sorry to hear about the rejection though, and good luck with the rest of your apps!
Original post by raption
I met two Allen and ovary trainees at my ac last week

I was immediately and hate to say this disappointed with following a 20 min chat their lack of good personal skills confidence and intellect. They seemed more to be the "rugger lads" and classic "ditsy" blondes than I would have expected from a mc firm

Sorry if this sounds offensive but someone asked what they may be looking for and I stated my judgement on the 2 trainees I met

Bet they can spell Overy though :P

I went to an A&O open day and didn't see any rahs...but I guess each person there is different. The trainees did all seem very down to earth and chilled though (well, as chilled as you can be working for a MC firm!), so maybe they look for genuinely 'normal' people as opposed to the constantly in the library types. Who knows :confused:
Original post by eve_22
OFFER FROM HOGAN LOVELLS!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: So happy!!!!!!

Congrats! I think HL is a really nice firm and you must be thrilled to get a chance to work with them. :wink:

Haven't had much to say for the past weeks as no other firm has contacted me yet again. Waiting for the outcome of 8 applications (TC and VS) and hoping to submit two more this week. But gosh, Lent lerm is already so busy!!!
Original post by eve_22

Congrats eve! All your hard work's paid off :biggrin:
Reply 1588
Original post by nrsimha
Got a phone call at around 9 from Linklaters offering me a place on their summer vacation scheme. I had the interview earlier today. Please feel free to contact me if you have an interview coming up with them and i'll do my best to help you prepare for it.

This is excellent, congrats! Are you thinking of getting a Training Contract with them? Good luck!
Reply 1589
Original post by hmaus
Finally got an email from Clifford Chance that I passed their SJT and am through to the verbal reasoning. Pleased as it had been a while and I was wondering. Fingers crossed I get to the stage where they actually read my application :wink:

This must have been nerve-racking, congrats!! Was it a hard test? I will be having mine for Herbert Smith soon and I have barely had one practice test- would you recommend doing a few of those or are they not much of a help?
Reply 1590
Original post by angelmxxx
Bet they can spell Overy though :P

I went to an A&O open day and didn't see any rahs...but I guess each person there is different. The trainees did all seem very down to earth and chilled though (well, as chilled as you can be working for a MC firm!), so maybe they look for genuinely 'normal' people as opposed to the constantly in the library types. Who knows :confused:

As I said dam this automatic spellchecker on the iPad. I regret defecting.
:smile:
Reply 1591
Original post by Smith101
Hi Carlaaaa, I saw somewhere that you had a slaughter and may vs offer. I have my interview next week and I'm incredibly nervous, i mean it's slaughter and may :s-smilie:. Would you be able to give me any tips about how the interview goes or anything I should look out for? I'd be incredibly grateful. Congratz on your offer, that's pretty incredible. :smile: x

Hey Smith101 - Firstly - a huge congratulation for gaining an interview with Slaughters!!! May I ask - (even though its highly trivial) did you first learn of your interview from an email or the track facility on their website? I have been refreshing both every hour - on the hour for a while now.

Thanks!!
Original post by Aw16
Hey Smith101 - Firstly - a huge congratulation for gaining an interview with Slaughters!!! May I ask - (even though its highly trivial) did you first learn of your interview from an email or the track facility on their website? I have been refreshing both every hour - on the hour for a while now.

Thanks!!

Both but you'd receive an email for sure.
Reply 1593
Original post by passenger17a
Both but you'd receive an email for sure.

Thank you!
Reply 1594
Original post by Aw16
Thank you!

Thanks! I received an email asking me to call them and book a date. Hopefully you'll get yours soon! :smile:
CONGRATS again Eve, and to those of you who have heard good news from CC :biggrin:
Reply 1596
Original post by eve_22

Congratulations Eve I am so pleased for you. You deserve it. :smile:
Reply 1597
Original post by hmaus
Do you mean the situational judgement? Not sure if you can practice them anywhere but I found it okay - it probably helps if you have worked in a stressful office before as some of the scenarios seem very familiar!

You can practice the SHL verbal reasoning on the website and I think it is useful to do so. They aren't bad though. For Herbert Smith I think the one to watch out for is shapes test, which I found difficult. I would definitely recommend practicing that if possible.

Thanks hmaus! I think I was mainly asking about tests in general- as in, I ve heard that some shapes tests are repeated, so I was wondering if same holds true for situational judgment ones. Again, thanks and good luck!
Has anyone applied to Mayer Brown? They seem to require at least 4 subjects for undergrad which is problematic in that in Oxford you only do three proper exams before Finals.
Reply 1599
Original post by icysquall
Has anyone applied to Mayer Brown? They seem to require at least 4 subjects for undergrad which is problematic in that in Oxford you only do three proper exams before Finals.

I've an interview with them tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending