The Student Room Group
Reply 1
thegenius31416
Are there any universities that prefer applicants who have not applied to Oxbridge (which they can tell of course by the date of application)?

No they don't. THey can assume but they do not know. I think I sent my appication off before the Oxbridge deadline (I applied to Durham, Glasgow, Newcastle and Leeds originally). It was eight years ago so memory might play tricks. It was certainly very early and well before everyone else. Late(ish) September.

Officially an applicant's other choices are secret until a firm or insurance is chosen.

Surely, universities would not be 'allowed' to discriminate based on this but I was just wondering if anyone knew from any experience whether they did or not.

This has been discussed time and time again. I remember Good Bloke make the good point that one admissions tutor at university x can (in theory) phone the admissions tutor at university y and, if they're on good terms, ask. It might happen but isn't really practical.

It's not really in the interest of the university to assume a student has applied to Oxford and Cambridge and reject them. Universities know that not all students they give offers to will accept them. They over offer and want a certain number of student numbers to reject them/not manage the grades.

So if an admissions tutor assumed a student was applying to Oxford or Cambridge they can easily be mistaken. Even if that student has applied there is no guarentee of an offer from Oxford/Cambridge. People do get rejected! Finally, admissions tutors will be more than pleased if a certian number of applicants decide to go elsewhere including Oxford or Cambridge. They want that to happen.
River85
No they don't. THey can assume but they do not know. I think I sent my appication off before the Oxbridge deadline (I applied to Durham, Glasgow, Newcastle and Leeds originally). It was eight years ago so memory might play tricks. It was certainly very early and well before everyone else. Late(ish) September.

Officially an applicant's other choices are secret until a firm or insurance is chosen.

Universities haven't had access to the identity of your other choices for about 20 years. Before that there were many rumours of petty jealousy between institutions e.g. Kent wouldn't offer you a place if you put them below Leicester. Durham was fairly notorious. The fact they changed the rules suggests there was something in it.
nulli tertius
Universities haven't had access to the identity of your other choices for about 20 years. Before that there were many rumours of petty jealousy between institutions e.g. Kent wouldn't offer you a place if you put them below Leicester. Durham was fairly notorious. The fact they changed the rules suggests there was something in it.

Someone once told me that if you applied to King's then UCL wouldnt give you an offer and vice versa. :s-smilie: .
LettersFromTheSky
Someone once told me that if you applied to King's then UCL wouldnt give you an offer and vice versa. :s-smilie: .

Nonsense.
Reply 5
thegenius31416
(which they can tell of course by the date of application)

No I don't think that they can tell. I want to get my application off early, as soon as possible really and not because I am applying to Oxbridge. I wouldn't want to go to either and they don't offer what I want and I doubt I would get in with my grades. But anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to get their application off early so it is out of the way.
its a load of ********

use the search function and read dozens of other threads that are pretty much identical to this one
Reply 7
Didn't seem to affect me either as I still got all 5 offers.

But I seriously don't think they have the inclination to go to the effort of guessing whether an applicant has applied to Oxbridge or not, and then take that into account when making offers themselves.

Even if they can be quite confident that somebody has probably applied, most applicants to Oxbridge are rejected so it's an incredibly unreliable gauge to making offers to the best students.
Reply 8
No they don't prefer non oxbridge applicants. Just apply to 5 unis that you may want to go to; if this includes oxbridge then go for it.
What difference does it make if most people who apply for Oxbridge don't get in?
Reply 10
Flying Cookie
What difference does it make if most people who apply for Oxbridge don't get in?

People are apprehensive of applying before the Oxbridge deadline to non-Oxbridge universities because they fear these universities will infer from the date of application that the applicant is an Oxbridge-applicant. Thus they believe the university will treat their application unfavourably on the basis that the applicant is likely to go to Oxbridge and turn down the university's offer.

However, seeing as most Oxbridge applicants are turned down, other universities will be aware of the fact that only a very small proportion of those applying before the Oxbridge deadline will turn their offer down for a place at Oxbridge (due to the additional numbers of non-Oxbridge applicants just filing a timely application which happens to fall within the Oxbridge deadline). And as such, the benefits to a university of separating likely Oxbridge applicants from other applicants becomes marginal and ultimately pointless.

If applying early meant almost definitely gaining admission at Oxbridge, there would be good reason to hide that fact from other universities, for obvious reasons.
DJkG.1
People are apprehensive of applying before the Oxbridge deadline to non-Oxbridge universities because they fear these universities will infer from the date of application that the applicant is an Oxbridge-applicant. Thus they believe the university will treat their application unfavourably on the basis that the applicant is likely to go to Oxbridge and turn down the university's offer.

However, seeing as most Oxbridge applicants are turned down, other universities will be aware of the fact that only a very small proportion of those applying before the Oxbridge deadline will turn their offer down for a place at Oxbridge (due to the additional numbers of non-Oxbridge applicants just filing a timely application which happens to fall within the Oxbridge deadline). And as such, the benefits to a university of separating likely Oxbridge applicants from other applicants becomes marginal and ultimately pointless.

If applying early meant almost definitely gaining admission at Oxbridge, there would be good reason to hide that fact from other universities, for obvious reasons.

But what about LSE for Economics? Maybe they would think that if they were worthy of an LSE offer, they would most likely get an Oxbridge offer too?
Reply 12
thegenius31416
But what about LSE for Economics? Maybe they would think that if they were worthy of an LSE offer, they would most likely get an Oxbridge offer too?

An admissions tutor at LSE might look at an application differently from one at Oxford or Cambridge? The applicant might not interview well at Oxford or Cambridge.

It still remains that just because someone is applying before the Oxbridge deadline it does mean they are also applying for Oxford or Cambridge and, as mentioned, universities don't want actually want every single applicant they give an offer to. LSE will be a bit screwed if everyone they give an offer to firmed them and met the offer. LSE will he happy for some of these applicants to reject them for Oxford, Cambridge or any other university.

Universities know from experience how much they can over offer.
Reply 13
I think it usually wouldn't make a difference. There might be a case for saying that places like Durham, LSE or UCL wouldn't offer too many places to those who applied early, 'just in case' they then didn't have enough places filled. But to be honest, because of the vast numbers who apply to Oxbridge and don't get in, I doubt this would actually make a lot of difference to the amount of firm/insurance places accepted at these universities. Basically it rests on your personal UCAS application and whether they think you're good enough, not where else they think you applied.
G8D
Applying and being accepted are entirely different things.

Isn't that what I was saying? There may be something in common about those who get accepted by Oxbridge, but certainly less about those who merely apply.
DJkG.1

My point exactly. Most people don't get in, therefore most people who apply to Oxbridge will accept the next university.
Reply 16
zar91
I think it usually wouldn't make a difference. There might be a case for saying that places like Durham, LSE or UCL wouldn't offer too many places to those who applied early, 'just in case' they then didn't have enough places filled.

As I've said, universities over-offer (sometimes significantly) and don't want everyone whose given an offer to then accept them. They know from previous years how many applicants they usually get, how many offers they can give out, and how many students reject them or accept them but fail to get the grades.

I always like it how those universities (particularly Durham) get called "Oxbridge reject universities" but then many of these same people say these these universities discriminate against Oxbridge applicants.

A bit of a contradiction.

But to be honest, because of the vast numbers who apply to Oxbridge and don't get in, I doubt this would actually make a lot of difference to the amount of firm/insurance places accepted at these universities.

No. They are still quite popular universities after all and, as I said, even if someone applied but was also accepted by, say, Oxford and went to Oxford. The rejected university won't be too fussed. There'll hopefully be plenty of other quality successful and then some. More students than they'll have places.

Latest

Trending

Trending