The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm kinda torn/undecided about it. I think a mother/father figure is important, but then many single parented children (like myself) have good life/education, etc and don't feel disadvantaged from only being brought up by a woman or man. I don't see how two women or two men could make that so very different.
i couldn't care less if my parents were a gay couple. i really don't see an issue with it
Reply 3
I think its disgusting
Reply 4
I have no problem with gay people, no problem with gay marriage, but I don't support gay parenting, due to the natural limitations. People say being gay or gay sex isn't natural, but it happens and gay sex is still doable so I don't really care. However it's not possible at all for a gay couple to naturally create a child.
Reply 5
It makes no difference than being brought up by a single parent. If gays are good parents then :yy:, which I think they are obviously capable of being
So long as they can offer a child all the required elements that a child needs, ie love, support, stability, I don;t see why the fact they are a gay couple should disadvantage them over a 16 year old girl who has no idea about children?
I have no problem with gay anything, but those two 'gay dads' from that channel 4 program have just brought their children up to be complete mongs.
Reply 8
Yawn11
I'm sure some have you might have seen that programme about a gay couple with 3 kids set to view on channel 4.

Personally I think its bad enough your gay, fair enough off your choice of life style, BUT to raise kids in an environment where they would believe that to be the norm is just wrong...

I'm not saying there is complete stability in heterosexual parenting, but blah...

What's your thoughts?

It's not a choice of lifestyle. A loving home is better than no home. It teaches tolerance and respect more than anything else. Children don't grow up expecting it to be the norm, they know they have special parents. Out of all the reports I've read on it, its has nothing but an extremely positive effect on children.
Reply 9
The qualities of the other gendered parent will be missing, it will be severly lacking in structure and the children will not experience love from a mother if its 2 guys, or a father if its two woman.

Plus the original parent, the mother, in the case of the two guy parents will not really be part of the childrens lives, which is totally unfair.

It's sick and not needed in society.

Can two same sexed people produce their own child? No, so hence they will be parenting some one elses which is screwed up.
logical ad
I have no problem with gay people, no problem with gay marriage, but I don't support gay parenting, due to the natural limitations. People say being gay or gay sex isn't natural, but it happens and gay sex is still doable so I don't really care. However it's not possible at all for a gay couple to naturally create a child.

It's also not natural that children end up separated from their parents. But they do.
Reply 11
Immoral imo.
Z_Ahmed
The qualities of the other gendered parent will be missing, it will be severly lacking in structure and the children will not experience love from a mother if its 2 guys, or a father if its two woman.

Plus the original parent, the mother, in the case of the two guy parents will not really be part of the childrens lives, which is totally unfair.

It's sick and not needed in society.

So single parent families are sick too eh?

Stop living in this idealistic fairy world. Unfortunately some children DO end up estranged from either one or both parents. That is reality.

All of the people I know brought up in single parent families have turned out to be wonderful inspirational and respectful people. What did that lack of one figure do to them?

And at least with with same sex partners, there are two figures, rather than just the one. Double the love and support, a child and young adult needs.
Reply 13
Junaid16
Immoral imo.

Not just your opinion but immoral as a general consensus.
My "traditional" parents were ****. I say let gay parenting happen; it's not like gays could be worse parents than some of these heteros even if they were to try. If anything the "right" to be a parent should be merit-based rather than gender-based, but that's a different thread entirely.
Reply 15
logical ad

do you support adoption by a man and a woman who are having fertility problems?
Reply 16
I think its great! Wht not?? Im sure they are great parents. Good luck to them.
Reply 17
Better than kids living in care, that's for sure.
Also I don't see how it's that much different to single parent families, and if you're worried about the "norm" the kids would soon understand that most other families weren't like that through tv and school.
The parents are also likely to have at least one friend of the opposite to provide the oppositional role model, and if not they can get that at school, surely? Or via friends' parents or wherever.
I'm a bit undecided. I guess I'm swaying towards the 'it's completely wrong'. I mean, it's quite unnatural and to be honest I would definitely not have wanted to grow up with two Mothers or two Fathers. It would make the child completely different to every other child in their class at school. But then I'm thinking just because a couple is gay, why shouldn't they be given the chance to have kids. However it was their choice to be with someone of the same sex so it's their fault they can't have kids. Although it's not really their fault they're that way. Soooooooooo. Hmmmm. Undecided. If the gay couple adopt a child then I suppose they are giving the child a loving family and that is better than having no family. So it's good in that way. But there's still something in me that says it's a bit wrong. I think it's because I was brought up to think gay = WRONG.
Reply 19
I don't think ability to bring up a child well really depends on whether you happen to be a father or mother.

Latest

Trending

Trending