The Student Room Group

Can't apply to RAF

I just phoned the recruitment line and I can't apply for Intelligence Analyst because I don't have an equivalent qualification for GCSE English.

I told them that I have a Level 2 in Adult Literacy, but apparently that's not an equivalent and I'd need a "at least a Level 3" or I'd need to get a GCSE. The thing is, I can't even find any information about the Level 3 qualification and Level 2 is equal to a GCSE.

Does anyone know what I should do? Or has anyone come across this problem themselves?

Thanks in advance. Oh and hello everyone, 1st time poster here.
Reply 1
Only thing to do is go along to an AFCO, explain the issue to them and ask them to get confirmation from the top [ie, Cranwell] on what the quals are.

Or go and get a GCSE in English. If you want the job, it's not much of a hardship to go through.
Sorry to say this - but the Armed Forces have their own interpretation of what is equivalent. Also, this from the learndirect website:

Are the certificates in Adult English and maths equal to GCSEs?

The English and maths certificates (Level 1 & 2) are equivalent in level to GCSEs, but not in breadth.

The certificates were devised as an alternative to GCSEs for adults, and it has always been the intention that the certificates should be accepted by Higher Education Institutions (HEI) as an equivalent qualification.

It is important to be aware that as these institutions are independent and there are still a number of them who do not accept the certificates. learndirect have no control over this, therefore all learners who need a qualification for entry onto a specific course e.g PGCE, should confirm with their individual HEI institution whether they will accept the certificates before enrolling.

So - a few places don't see them as equal either, including some universities. I guess you either get a Level 3 or a GCSE.
Reply 3
Alright, sounds like something I can't avoid if I really want to join up. It's not the effort that fazes me, but it'll take so damn long to do.

Thanks for the input.
Reply 4
With the cuts and the trades being closed at the moment, it'll be ages before you could start anyway.
The RAF will accept a grade of 6.5 or above from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Have a look here:

hxxp://www.ielts.org/institutions/test_format_and_results.aspx

It costs £110 and you can do the test at various locations throughout the country on specific dates - the above site will give you all the info you need.
Reply 6
Stand Still!!
The RAF will accept a grade of 6.5 or above from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Have a look here:

hxxp://www.ielts.org/institutions/test_format_and_results.aspx

It costs £110 and you can do the test at various locations throughout the country on specific dates - the above site will give you all the info you need.

Are you sure about this? Can anyone confirm ?

This will make things much easier
Reply 7
Miza

Best way is to pick up the phone and call the AFCO
I know IELTS is a requirement for foreign cadets studying with the RAF - never heard of it for British entrants - get to your careers office.
Miza

Miza - I can confirm this.

Currently serving and working in the AFCO environment - (pm me if you want)
Reply 10
Adult literacy levels 1 & 2 are the equivalent to a GCSE, but not the grade that they are asking for. Level 1 is equivalent to like and F and Level 2 is about the equivalent to a D. They require a C for that role

Latest