The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ultimate1
SUUUUURE you did :rolleyes: . You're probably one of those elitist science kids thinking they're all 'top' because they do physics 'ZOMG I DO PHYSICS, I ARE L33T'.

Wth response like these you really prove yourself an idiot and i suspect a troll.

I studied at a level Economics,History,Law and Business studies. In my first year i tried to do maths but found it too hard and dropped out in favour of getting better grades on my remaining subjects.

Please where is physics in this list?

And your blantant dislike for the sciences proves you're a little girl who deep down thinks his own subjects inferior otherwise you wouldn't have even started this thread.
Reply 81
Libtolu
Wth response like these you really prove yourself an idiot and i suspect a troll.

I studied at a level Economics,History,Law and Business studies. In my first year i tried to do maths but found it too hard and dropped out in favour of getting better grades on my remaining subjects.

Please where is physics in this list?

And your blantant dislike for the sciences proves you're a little girl who deep down thinks his own subjects inferior otherwise you wouldn't have even started this thread.

Suprisingly (Shock, horror!) I do 2 science subjects, 1 social science and 1 humanity subject. During the summer I found myself revising much more harder for English Lit than any of the other subjects.
Reply 82
Ultimate1
which again proves that you need to have the all round skills for humanities, anything could come up, sometimes you get a ***** of a question and are stumped on how to answer it whereas in a science exam you don't need to remember the whole syllabus, beause if you drop those few marks you'll still get an 'A'.

It also proves that a year on from when i studied the subject i could still boost my grade without any revision because the question came up on the french involvement in the american war of independence and i had just watched the patriot.
Reply 83
Ultimate1
Suprisingly (Shock, horror!) I do 2 science subjects, 1 social science and 1 humanity subject. During the summer I found myself revising much more harder for English Lit than any of the other subjects.

That pretty much shows that you are good at sciences but struggle with essay subjects so to you they are harder however the majority of people aren't sciency minded and as such find essay based subjective subjects easier.
Reply 84
Libtolu
It also proves that a year on from when i studied the subject i could still boost my grade without any revision because the question came up on the french involvement in the american war of independence and i had just watched the patriot.

Ya but what if another question came up similar to the exam that you got an 'E' on? You surely would have flopped that as well then? Exactly. And one more point: Humanities are much more centred in reality, whereas sciences really are about shizzle we won't ever need.
Can these topics just be trashed on sight? They're worth nothing, honestly. What is harder to whom is entirely subjective. This is all ********, really.
Being as it is more subjective implies that it is obviously easier to get it right, since their is no concrete answer like there is in a science based subject!

depends on the examiner, really.

Yea I'm pretty sure they have boosted on the "ladder" but there is still a large gap between a subject like Physics and a foreign language like French!
Research it if you don't believe me!

have researched, done the presentation. Really isn't that much of a gap.

Lol...I guess I should say the same :p:

right I'm going to stop now, lol, sorry, bit of a languages/humanities boff. sorry
Reply 87
RedRevolver
Can these topics just be trashed on sight? They're worth nothing, honestly. What is harder to whom is entirely subjective. This is all ********, really.

No, we should settle this once and for all. And according to some people on here what you say is simply not the case (and I agree), it's not subjective anyone with common sense can see that humanities require much more discipline to suceed.
Reply 88
Libtolu
or you find them easy. idiot. One of my friends finds maths easy as **** and picks it up without trying other people try their hardest and still can't get their heads around it so he says maths is easy.

Easy or hard is all about perspective, it's subjective. I found history easy because i enjoyed it and didn't need to do revision for most of the modules(in hindsight the one that brings my grade down should have been revised :P) .

Some genius the ploughs through maths and further maths like they were strolling along the hills eating a pastie would find maths easy how can you tell them that it is hard?

Or are you just an ignorant pig?

let me correct myself, 'arrogant pig'
Reply 89
Ultimate1
Ya but what if another question came up similar to the exam that you got an 'E' on? You surely would have flopped that as well then? Exactly. And one more point: Humanities are much more centred in reality, whereas sciences really are about shizzle we won't ever need.

How wrong you are, you need and use science everyday, but you don't realise it... science is more necessary to your life than English or any humanities... without English you could not communicate, but without science you would not be living nor would you enjoy your current standard of living.
You won't be saying that after doing A2 Further Maths.

Humanities is learning off by heart actually. Take history. One takes notes, learns these and puts them in an essay.

Yar
Ultimate1
This is the problem, how can you assume that everyone who blags gets the grades? Probably 1/100 people 'blag' and get A's but i can garuntee you that the other 99% will not get 'A's' if they were to 'blag' in their exams, if that were indeed the case then humanities would have a 100% 'A' grade ratio.

Im not saying that, obviously its preferrable to learn to content and the facts, but the poiint still stands, its easier to make stuff up as long as it isnt too obviouls or outlandish in essay exams. My geography teacher is also an examiner had once marked down a candidate for making incorrect statements abou Swindon, but she had only picked up on it becuase she had come from there. Different examiners may not have picked up on it, but you just cant make stuff up in a science exam to feign understanding on the higher level questions, because it would honestly be embarrisingly obvious.

You may just be mathematically inclined, but honestly, for something like polar corodinates, you couldnt just remember an equation for that topics as its just so difficult conceptually. Youve, only done AS level maths and further maths - the content is a joke, it really is. Second order differential equations? Just need the practice. But when you get to a mechanics question on cirular motion in a vertical plane, with an eleastic string and involving a 3 dimensional centre of mass element, thats hard. But even that is dwarfed by the monster that is areas enclosed by polar coordinates, which is fine once you can visulaise it, but its hard to learn to do that correctly. Then theres the hyperbolic functions, advanced matrices...

Honestly, you have only done AS level, its a piece of piss.
Reply 92
i'd say humanities are much easier, from my own experience.
i did all three sciences and english lit for a level.
all the year, english has been my doss subject, and yet, when i talk to the other people in my eng group who all do humanities, they say english is their hardest subject.

it depends on the person; some people are more scientifically inclined, some not.
but in general, it is much more difficult to blag a science/maths exam. there's far less room for opinion than in humanities. furthermore, to reduce the subject to "memorizing formulae and using them" is incredibly ignorant!
No I disagree. Surely if Humanities are more subjective, then that makes them easier because there are more answers you could have. In maths/science its either right or wrong, no compromising. Plus like other people have mentioned already, you can easily blag your way through a humanities exam wheras in science or maths, you just can't.
I think the problem here is that we are comparing two things that can't really be compared :/ Humanities and Sciences work in completely different ways so I don't think one can really be said to be easier than the other, it's all about an individual's learning style at the end of the day.
Reply 95
Ultimate1

perhaps humanities are more interesting because they deal directly with humanity and behaviour, but to say that sciences are about "shizzle we won't ever need"?! dear lord. -face palm-
Reply 96
I don't think this will be settled, not even in a hundred years. The human race simply does not have the capabilities. However, advancements in physics and maths can help build computers beyond the quantum level that just might solve this problem.
Reply 97
At school level, you're entirely correct on the science front in as much as that all you have to do is learn formulae and recognise where to use them. At a more advanced level, though, that's just not what sciences are about.

Also, the subjectivity of humanities doesn't make them harder than sciences, it makes them easier given that you can fake whole exams as a result - you don't actually need to know anything about the subject matter.
Popsiclepop
I think the problem here is that we are comparing two things that can't really be compared :/ Humanities and Sciences work in completely different ways so I don't think one can really be said to be easier than the other, it's all about an individual's learning style at the end of the day.

This. I did a a humanity and two sciences at A-Level, and I wouldn't say either one was easier than other. They all had their difficult and easy bits, but to do well in both you had to work hard, and it was far more than just "cramming"
THRASHx

EDIT - Oh yeah, I just wanted to add. In Geography, Sociology, Psychology, History, Economics and probably more, in the exam papers you get a choice of questions. In all my Economics papers youve had a choice of two questions and then in my last exam I had a choice of 3 essays. I know in History you also get a choice for the questions you answer. I dont know about any of the others really but ive been in the same exam room as these exams before and theyve been told they only need to answer 3 questions or whatever.
Ive never had that in any of the sciences ive studied.

Actually in my psychology exams there was no choice at all. We're required to study three topics in depth and are then presented with one question for each, all three of which we must answer. After writing up summaries of each essay I wrote in those papers I'd have no idea how anyone would be able to blag them. I'd love to see students trying to make up studies, theories and evaluations of each, and attempt to persuade the examiner to consider them correct. They aren't dumb, they generally know what candidates should refer to, and specific theories are almost impossible to make up in the detailed manner necessary.
Apart from the fact that psychology is considered a science.

However, in maths C1, agreeably the easiest paper, I hadn't studied, blagged my way through knowing zilch and managed a C, I'm still clueless as to how. Same in GCSE, although that was an A.
Maths isn't the same as other sciences.
I take both biology and chemistry, unless you know the information, are able to apply it to unfamiliar situations and twist complex processes in order to fit the question given and apply formulae, given you know in which context to apply them, then you most certainly aren't going to get anything more than a C/D. Agreeably sciences do require much past paper practice and rigorous study of various textbooks (not just the one provided by the awarding body but from others, for eg in biology OCR unit 4 there was a question on P4 in plants. Without having read either the new scientist several months before the exam or the Edexcel revision guide it'd be unlikely one could answer this) and humanities require almost the same. I'd find it hard to agree that either is more difficult than the other. It all comes down to the degree of preparation by the student, exam technique and a person's aptitude in a particular field whether in physics or RS, if you want an A/B rather than a C/D.

/rant

Latest