The Student Room Group
what board is this?

and just read an overview of what all the modules include. then choose the subject which allows you to do the ones you want
Reply 2
further is definately harder... but its more fun as wel. seems like the perfect one for you
Reply 3
The applied modules are less useful and badly taught in my experience. If you love maths, i'd do both because even though the option of Pure maths diminishes the value of Double maths (to you) the applied modules in Double Maths are still more valuable then say Physics a-level.
Reply 4
well I got all A's in MPC1-4

this year I'm redoing my physics a-levels because I got a D and want to study astronomy now.

doing MFP1 and either of MFP2,3 or 4 will give me pure mathematics

to get further mathematics you can't use MPC modules at all :frown: so I'd have to redo the whole thing. **** that I got to study physics

looks like I'll be just doing pure mathematics

thanks for the quick replies
Reply 5
What do you want to study at university and where? EDIT: You just posted Astronomy.

It's it's Physics, Engineering or Maths, then take Maths and Further Maths. It's what all good unis say they want. If you're good at Maths then it's not nearly as much work as two distinct A-levels because of the overlap.

The mechanics and differential equations units, though applied, are 'hard' maths - I found them challenging and harder than Core, but also liked them more. Mechanics units are no replacement for Physics and vice versa, take both if you can.
Further is piss easy, Pure is harder.
Reply 7
ok thanks for the advice.
Reply 8
Looking at all these confusing modules, I'm only 3 away from Further Maths which would also give me Pure Maths.

Can I only use modules in one qualification? Or could I share modules between different qualifications so I end up having Maths, Pure Maths and Further Maths?

Thanks
Reply 9
LOL
You can't double up you're modules. :|
Also, how do you know your results already? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
If you're already using C1-4 to get Maths you can't then re-use them for Pure Maths.

Do Further.
Reply 11
jj193
LOL
You can't double up you're modules. :|
Also, how do you know your results already? :s-smilie:

I did my A-Levels in 2006. I have a Further Maths AS-Level which puts me 2 modules away from Further Maths and 1 module away from Pure Maths.

Silly how my college didn't offer me those modules, ain't it?
Reply 12
BTW for those all interested, I called them and they said doing the extra modules would result in extra qualifications.

So I might get A Maths, A Pure Maths and at a C at minimum in Further Maths
Reply 13
you don't understand how it works

Maths:
C1-4, two applied modules (if one is a 2, then the 1 must be in with it. e.g. you can have any two of (S1,M1,D1) but if you want to have M2 in then you must also use M1 in this)

Further Maths
FP1, at least one of FP2/FP3, any 4 of the remaining modules (though the applied modules must make a 'chain' over your two a-levels, i.e. you can't do M1,M2,M4 but you can do S1,S2,S3)

Pure Maths:
C1-C4,FP1,another FP

So you cant do pure maths and maths.
Reply 14
If you want to do Physics, doing a couple of mechanics modules would be helpful (but by no means essential!). If you're not interested in doing any applied modules, then go for pure maths.

If you were to do some mechanics, you could do all the pure modules and some mechanics to get you A-level Maths and (at least) AS Further Maths.

For example you could do C1-C4, FP1-3, M1 and M2 and that'd get you A-level Maths and AS Further Maths. (though you could probably bypass a couple of pure if you do some stats instead, which would make life a bit easier)

AQA also offer FP4, which seems to consist entirely of vectors and matrices which would be very useful for physics at university.

For example, you could get A-level Maths and Further Maths from doing C1-C4, FP1-FP4 and M1-M4, which would be a pretty awesome preparation for a physics degree (but is one of the more difficult module combinations to get Maths/FM)

Latest

Trending

Trending