The Student Room Group

Spring Weeks 2011 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Zweihander
Generally it's not rolling, but Barclays and UBS are. However, given that most banks handle SW apps last in their recruitment cycle I dont see any point in applying before November to be honest, after you've had enough time to join societies, go to careers fairs/presentations and whatnot.

Couldn't agree more. I did so much stuff in just a couple of months that added loads to my CV. Also you can go and visit the careers service at uni who can be surprisingly helpful with your applications.
FunkMasterN
Couldn't agree more. I did so much stuff in just a couple of months that added loads to my CV. Also you can go and visit the careers service at uni who can be surprisingly helpful with your applications.

dude did you get my msg :/ plz fwd that email plzpzlz
FunkMasterN
Couldn't agree more. I did so much stuff in just a couple of months that added loads to my CV.

What sort of stuff?
Reply 103
Arakasi 2.0
Bit of a contradiction here. Are they recruiting on a rolling basis or not? I don't want to leave my application too late if they are done on a rolling basis but ideally I would prefer to do it late October/early November ish.

They are not. Having been on a couple and applied for them all, I know. Go and check last years thread. Barcap only had one bloody AC - how can their recruitment be done on a rolling basis? RBS on the other hand even put in a last minute AC, and extended the deadline, as they were so keen to snap up as many interns as possible. But again, they didn't start reviewing till around Jan/Feb.

Wait until the end of term. Join societies, go to presentations, etc. Get as much on your CV as possible, and talk to as many staff at career presentations as possible. Anyone sending off an application now would be stupid.
Arakasi 2.0
What sort of stuff?

Lots of stuff! I started new sport (lacrosse, a club I now run), I was elected president of the biggest halls at uni (over 1000 people live there), I did really well in a BB's trading competition on campus and I got elected as my course rep that reports to the faculty, beating 10 people. I also went to lots of workshops and careers events that helped me out.

I applied to GS on the deadline day and do did many of the people on the program with me. I probably shouldn't have applied that late, but I was happy with how much better my application was at that stage.
ronaldo91
dude did you get my msg :/ plz fwd that email plzpzlz

Sent you a PM and check your email inbox. You're welcome!
http://www.db.com/careers/content/en/3055.html

DB haven't updated their spring week page yet, which would suggest that apps arent open yet, but if you click apply now, it shows applications are open. However, there doesnt seem to be a SW for IBD, just Markets and MO/BO.
Reply 107
If you need help with apps, PM me for some advice.
Reply 108
hey there, just wonderin best way to prep for these internship interviews,
cheers for any help
hheeffgg
hey there, just wonderin best way to prep for these internship interviews,
cheers for any help

What's the best way to prep for exams?
Reply 110
Apparently, the exams are more iq based and so there really aren't ways to prepare; I had a friend who tried and revised compl;ex formulaes and failed the exams perhaps due to overthinking!
hheeffgg
Apparently, the exams are more iq based and so there really aren't ways to prepare; I had a friend who tried and revised compl;ex formulaes and failed the exams perhaps due to overthinking!

Completely missed the point. I was talking about exams in general not the online tests. The best way to prepare for interviews is mock interviews, so I'd get in touch with your university careers service. If not, try to find another student who's gone through the process to interview you.

Also, apart from logical reasoning tests, the online tests are not IQ based. Anyone with a basic grasp of GCSE Maths and English should no have problem passing them.
Reply 112
Milch
The banks don't want someone who will be doing a summer internship in 2 and a half years time! However it's not impossible, so you might as well apply if you have some time on your hands.

Hey, question regarding shl tests, approximately what % is pass grades for IB banks? is it relative to other candidate's %?
do you still remember what % you got for shl practice tests???
Thank you
So what seems to be the consensus on when to actually apply? All you guys who applied last year, when did you apply?

Also, isn't it so that CV's should be a maximum of 1 page long, meaning that one should write or 2-3 experiences. Let's say one sends in the applications in November, that's 2 months of uni, how can people manage to get sensible experiences in two months. Obviously 2 months of uni is too short to get any real posts that involve responsibility. Instead of being able to say President of the boat club/union you have to say member of the the boat club/union. So is there any real advantage to sending in the applications later on this year?

I'm sorry for the extremely confusing writing, i'm just really hungover right now.
albatrauuss
So what seems to be the consensus on when to actually apply? All you guys who applied last year, when did you apply?

Also, isn't it so that CV's should be a maximum of 1 page long, meaning that one should write or 2-3 experiences. Let's say one sends in the applications in November, that's 2 months of uni, how can people manage to get sensible experiences in two months. Obviously 2 months of uni is too short to get any real posts that involve responsibility. Instead of being able to say President of the boat club/union you have to say member of the the boat club/union. So is there any real advantage to sending in the applications later on this year?

I'm sorry for the extremely confusing writing, i'm just really hungover right now.

bump :o:
Reply 115
albatrauuss

Maybe if you rewrote the question when you weren't hungover, someone might have taken it seriously.
BigCity
Maybe if you rewrote the question when you weren't hungover, someone might have taken it seriously.

Well, the post wasn't that confusing now, was it?
Reply 117
You were the one who said you thought it was "extremely confusing".
Reply 118
anyone any idea which banks have started their application for SW. i checked JP morgan they said 1st nov, GS not yet,UBS didnt see it, someone said UBS has started care to send me the link.
Reply 119
ddongfang
Hey, question regarding shl tests, approximately what % is pass grades for IB banks? is it relative to other candidate's %?
do you still remember what % you got for shl practice tests???
Thank you

It is very rare that a bank will tell you what you got on a test. Yeah apparently it's done relative to other candidates taking the test around the same time, no idea what % you need though. Some banks just want you to pass, others may look at your score.

I've never done any practise tests :p: but I reckon I always get above 80% on numerical and logic tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending