The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ape Gone Insane
:sadnod: Dystopian stories never really translate well.

Equilibrium (Christian Bale) and Aeon Flux for example. :teehee: Terrible dystopian movies.

Aha, that's the exact movie I was thinking of when saying it! Sounds interesting but felt very bland (as said, for lack of a better word). I know they couldn't really show emotions though, but isn't it by the same team as The Matrix? That also had a very similar feel about it.

Edit: Oh, not seen Aeon Flux though.
I really liked Inception, though parts of it seemed somewhat rushed and half-baked. The third act, if I'm honest, was pretty sloppy, and that was the only point where the film seemed like it was dragging a little. (I'm talking the whole Snow Fort into Limbo bit here; for instance, how the hell did Cobb suddenly end up washed up on the beach in Saito's Limbo? Why did Saito age but Cobb didn't? And, as a matter of fact, it was never clarified whether there was one Limbo or multiple Limbos for each individual - Saito seemed to fall into his own Limbo, where as Fischer fell into Cobb's...)

I also felt no attachment to the characters; very hollow and one-dimensional, though I guess a rich character-driven piece wasn't exactly what Nolan was going for. All in all a good effort, but not a great film, and certainly not a masterpiece. For me Nolan is yet to match the heights achieved with Memento. Good to see some more imagination in Hollywood though. Oh and the final shot was brilliant.
Aeon Flux is a truly terrible film :yes:
Reply 183
kiss_me_now9
Didn't enjoy Inception as much as I was expecting. It was good, but it just didn't work for me. Lots of unanswered questions and things that could have done with explaining IMO

Maybe they left that for part 2.... Assuming if it comes. I havent watched it yet, and I feel like I am banging my head on a brickwall.
Reply 184
Anyone here didnt like Avatar? Worst movie I have ever seen.
Ape Gone Insane
I meant Lost. :p:

That trailer is strange though. In fact, that's probably the first trailer where I can't make my mind up (whether it's good or bad). I'm going to watch the first episode of that show and see what it's like. :yep:

It has a "A Town Called Eureka" vibe to it - if you've ever heard of that show.

Oh right, you confused me because you only quoted the bit where I was talking about Ted. :p:

You should definitely check out the first episode though, it's worth it.

As for Lost, definitely it's worth it. It's my favourite TV show (while I know that there are technically better TV shows out there, such as The West Wing, I just don't like them as much) and it's just brilliant. It has some of the best TV acting, and focuses so much more on character drama than you would think. You can pick up the older box sets for ~£10, and for that price it's definitely worth getting the first season and seeing if you get hooked.

Ape Gone Insane
Carey is alright though.

Not a patch on Keira Knightley.

Jordan-Kirby
Aeon Flux is a truly terrible film :yes:

I watched that film so many times, I used to have a huge crush on Charlize Theron. :laugh: She did look good in it, even if for some reason she had a different costume on in every single scene.
Reply 186
S-man10
Anyone here didnt like Avatar? Worst movie I have ever seen.

Although visually stunning, I have to agree I found it dire. It was up there with the golden compass and Atlantis in terms of boring films.
Ape Gone Insane
Found it! :biggrin: It's called the The Marionette Unit. Watch this trailer.

That looks really good. Do you know who's in it?

Franklyn is another low-budget British dystopian film. Flawed and underrated, but still brilliant.

And I kind of liked Equilibrium, albeit because of the presence of Christian Bale and Sean Bean.
Reply 188
woofums
Although visually stunning, I have to agree I found it dire. It was up there with the golden compass and Atlantis in terms of boring films.

The only reason it was the worst for me, is because it met my expectations. Every movie I have ever watched was above or below my expectations, no matter how high or low. That, and it was just too predictable. You just know for some reason what was going to happen next...
Reply 189
S-man10
The only reason it was the worst for me, is because it exactly met my expectations. Every movie I have ever watched was above or below my expectations no matter how high or low. That and it was just too predictable. You just know for some reason what was going to happen next...

Well i'd assume which fell below your expectations would be worse than a film which met them :s-smilie:. Though it was very predictable and the script was like a trundling rhino. Brutal slow and obvious. However calling it the worse film ever ignores the plethora of other films which are significantly significantly *******. It was magnificent to watch and was cinematographical masterpiece, even if in the end (i've got an eye on you, phalanges) it was pocahuntas in space.
Reply 190
reems23
Well i'd assume which fell below your expectations would be worse than a film which met them :s-smilie:. Though it was very predictable and the script was like a trundling rhino. Brutal slow and obvious. However calling it the worse film ever ignores the plethora of other films which are significantly significantly *******. It was magnificent to watch and was cinematographical masterpiece, even if in the end (i've got an eye on you, phalanges) it was pocahuntas in space.

Worst for me, not for the world. I came out of the cinema, with no feeling. You usually get that feeling whether a movie was good or not. But I felt blank. It was great with all the cinematics and visual effects but..... hard to explain that feeling.

Its like looking at the most exquisite plate of food. But that plate has a bland taste.
Reply 191
S-man10
The only reason it was the worst for me, is because it met my expectations. Every movie I have ever watched was above or below my expectations, no matter how high or low. That, and it was just too predictable. You just know for some reason what was going to happen next...

I agree it was very predictable. But that wasn't even the most annoying. It felt to me just a bit too preachy :erm: It was one of those films where you are waiting for it to finish. But I can't deny that it was beautiful.
bigmo7
Haha those two were awesome. And also

Spoiler

Oh yes! Haha, I loved that bit.
Reply 193
I watched Donnie Darko last night. I love this film, it's such a rollercoaster of emotion. The scene in the cinema gives me goosebumps as well, it's special.

:mmm:
The Butterfly Effect. To watch or not to watch? :holmes: watching it anyway.
anyone seen the new predators, i loved watching the original ones with my dad when i was younger so i hope this is as good, tho i fear it wont be, especially when we are missing comments like this :awesome:

I watched The Queen and The Duchess last night - loved both :love: Although they both made me cry :emo:
Anyone else seen them?
Phalanges
x.

40 days to watch 6 seasons of Lost. :moon:

Madjackismad

:mmm:

:rofl: I seen that particular video a couple of days ago, it's worth a watch - just for the acting. :p:

rofflewaffle
The Butterfly Effect. To watch or not to watch? :holmes: watching it anyway.

Great movie, can't say the same for the sequels though. :nooo:
NikNakWakAtak
That looks really good. Do you know who's in it?

Franklyn is another low-budget British dystopian film. Flawed and underrated, but still brilliant.

And I kind of liked Equilibrium, albeit because of the presence of Christian Bale and Sean Bean.

I can't say I know any of the actors. :no:

I've watched Franklyn simply because it had Eva Green in it. :teehee: It was a good movie.

Latest