The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

warhol
I would be delusional to believe that fat people aren't insulted. I know they are. You clearly don't get what I'm saying. I'm merely commenting on a blatant act of hypocrisy in which people feel it's more okay to insult a thin person whereas making a negative remark on an overweight person makes everyone think you're a mega-bitch.

And I get that people feel more free to insult each other online, in forums, TSR. Maybe it's that I'm at an all girls school; I've learnt that commenting on a fat girl's weight is a big no-no. (EDIT: not from experience, I've just kind of accepted that as a social norm. Isn't it, surely?)

There is a difference between insult and an insensitive and patronizing remark to which both thin and fat people are subjected. Examples of insults- "skeletor", "fat bitch who ate all the pies", "fat fatty fatty". Examples of an insensitive remarks - "You look really skinny, are you feeling ok?", "I can grate cheese on your collarbone/ribs", "you have put on weight recently, maybe you should cut down on cakes", etc. From what I've seen, both skinny and fat people get fair share of latter- people just don't realise how insensitive their comments are. Fat people however, get more direct results levelled at them.
Because thin people normally insult fat people? :confused:

and the other way round too
warhol
I made a thread earlier about curvaceous women, and one post in particular reminded me of something that irks me about a lot of people:

I'm fairly skinny; my BMI is underweight, but I eat a balanced diet and lead a healthy lifestyle. Yet people find it completely okay to make some seriously rude remarks about how I look.
It makes me think that if it was the other way around, and I insulted an overweight girl on her girth, I'd be a complete bitch.

I've never really understood this double standard. Perhaps it's because being thin is perceived as an ideal in society, whereas being overweight is usually received negatively by people.

idk. Any opinions on the subject? Or experiences?

I mock fat and thin people equally, we don't discriminate where i come from.
Reply 83
I think it's because, particularly as children, people are bullied and ridiculed a lot more for being overweight, and seen as being unattractive.

So recent society has gone on a mission to say that 'You are beautiful even if overweight, it's what's inside that matters!' (sadly ignoring any health implications) and so this has made people be more prejudiced against thinner people, because they think they must be purposely staying thin and hate fat people, or similar. Something along those lines anyway.
Reply 84
I think it's good to be mean to fatties... it makes them feel bad and want to lose weight thus decreasing their chance of heart failure and other dangerous diseases.

BUT THEY THROW IT BACK IN YOUR FACE BY SAYING BEING THIN IS BAD!!!! When really we're only trying to help them! :frown: what kind of world do we live in?!
Reply 85
Since when did people insult thin people?

gtfo
Reply 86
calling someone thin is a compliment , they might say it in a bad way but you know they are only jealous because they are not thin. Calling someone fat is an insult because it is not good to be fat and its definatley not good to be reminded your fat.
warhol
I made a thread earlier about curvaceous women, and one post in particular reminded me of something that irks me about a lot of people:

I'm fairly skinny; my BMI is underweight, but I eat a balanced diet and lead a healthy lifestyle. Yet people find it completely okay to make some seriously rude remarks about how I look.
It makes me think that if it was the other way around, and I insulted an overweight girl on her girth, I'd be a complete bitch.

I've never really understood this double standard. Perhaps it's because being thin is perceived as an ideal in society, whereas being overweight is usually received negatively by people.

idk. Any opinions on the subject? Or experiences?

LMFAO, im a thin male, and i make remarks about every fatty out there, regardless of age or gender.

it's quite funny most of the time

I don't think its a problem, if they can make remarks on your thiness, you can make a remark about their fattiness

i dont ever get offended but it's an easy excuse for ever so tempting fatty jokes and i usually can't resist

do you get offended by the remarks?

if you're a female, you're probably envied by over 70% of the female population (that's just a guess from my imagination though so don't go quoting me)

:biggrin: over and out fat fighter x
This thread, and anyone taking it seriously, is ******* retarded.

Jesus ******* Christ.

Latest

Trending

Trending