The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

40 hours+ of studying, a week.
Reply 2
Most people who get Firsts are probably quite high achieving academically anyway. If you are academically minded and commited to working hard already, you can achieve a First if you put your mind to it. Otherwise, aiming for a 2:1 might be a more realistic goal. :smile:
Reply 3
do ALL of your homework plus the extra stuff they suggest
it might be overkill depending on how intelligent you are but it can't hurt
trixster
Most people who get Firsts are probably quite high achieving academically anyway. If you are academically minded and commited to working hard already, you can achieve a First if you put your mind to it. Otherwise, aiming for a 2:1 might be a more realistic goal. :smile:

I'm intelligent. But I don't work hard. I did well in school without any hard work. And I know that this wouldnt work in uni.

Its a horrible habit :frown:
Reply 5
paintedshadows
Ok, so I'll start with English Language and Linguistics this Sept. I want to get a first.

How long should I study? Is it ok if I dont go out every time everyone does?

How do people get firsts? How do I become focused? Sometimes I think I have ADHD :frown:

Its all about working smart...

.... well, its about working hard as well, but working smart means you'll get a better return from the time that you invest in studying/coursework etc
Reply 6
paintedshadows
I'm intelligent. But I don't work hard. I did well in school without any hard work. And I know that this wouldnt work in uni.

Its a horrible habit :frown:

I did that for A levels and GCSE. It went great.

Uni however, it failed epically.

DO THE WORK.
Reply 7
Its about getting mostly A grades in 2nd and 3rd years.
Getting that far though means doing the work. Plan assignments, get them started early. Get any help the Uni offers. Get advice from lecturer.
Some may even be willing to look at partial drafts and say if you are going in the right direction or not.

Oh, and look for books in the Uni library about how to do the assignments. Things like 'how to write an essay' are invaluable if you have to write an essay.

Good luck. You should be able to manage it if you put the effort in.
Take Pro Plus or Ginseng to help you with your concentration.
mart2306
Its about getting mostly A grades in 2nd and 3rd years.
Getting that far though means doing the work. Plan assignments, get them started early. Get any help the Uni offers. Get advice from lecturer.
Some may even be willing to look at partial drafts and say if you are going in the right direction or not.

Oh, and look for books in the Uni library about how to do the assignments. Things like 'how to write an essay' are invaluable if you have to write an essay.

Good luck. You should be able to manage it if you put the effort in.

Good advice. Will try it out :smile:
Reply 10
Lilrascal19
40 hours+ of studying, a week.

That wouldn't get u a 2.1 in Oxbridge lol!
ebam_uk
That wouldn't get u a 2.1 in Oxbridge lol!

Really?
Lol.
How many hours would you suggest then?
Reply 12
Lilrascal19
Really?
Lol.

Spending quality time studying in depth not quantity and then building up as exams draw nearer + studying consistently!
Reply 13
Lilrascal19
Really?
Lol.

I don't think hours come into it; it all depends on your ability, and your understanding of your ability...

I know I can afford to go out and have a very active social life, then crack down when the deadlines start coming about.
But my ex knew she had to really work hard all the time and keep on top of everything, because she got stressed and underperformed if she didn't.

Two very different ways of studying, but both of us came out with top marks pretty much across the board.

From my experience, I'd say get all your partying done with in your first year, then you can really crack down on the latter two... University is an experience, and not just an academic one :smile:
Reply 14
Is it easier to get a first at, say, Manchester/Leeds than at Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/Imperial?
Over 9000 hours a week.
Work consistantly through out the year and dont be to disappointed if you come out with a 2:1
Reply 17
Bunkd
Is it easier to get a first at, say, Manchester/Leeds than at Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/Imperial?

Statistically speaking more people get a first at the top uni's simply because they perhaps give out more firsts.

But the general consensus and anecdotal evidence suggests its easier to get a 1st at Universities which accept a lower calibre of students based on A levels.

So for example it could be easier to get a 1st in Economics at Manchester vs. a 1st in Economics at Cambridge due to the exams themselves.
Reply 18

I'm going to Leeds in September and you need to get 68.5% in your final year to get a first. Do it over the course of both penultimate and final years (I'm doing a four year degree/years abroad don't count) and you are considered for bumping up to a first.

Having been at UCL for a year before, I plan on getting a first: it really is about foundations.
Whilst a large percentage of students consciously treat their first year as one that doesn't matter towards their overall grade, that mindset fixes and much further study is reliant on the teachings beforehand.

I'm gonna treat it like a job and do 9-5 everyday, some contact, some reading, some revision for four years: you're at university to study. Strict and optimistic, but true :p:
Reply 19
Diachrom
you're at university to study. Strict and optimistic, but true :p:

...not for me; as you may have gathered from my last post, I'm at University because I know where I want to be in the years ahead, and am using a degree to get there.
To me, the experiences, people and opportunities are all more important than actually studying.

Don't think that I'm not going to try, I'm aiming for a 1st and know what I have to do to get it... but if going for a 1st meant giving up my social life, involvement with the Students Union, and involvement with sports and societies, there's no way I'd make those sacrifices...

Latest

Trending

Trending